Electric help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Electric help

I've got my mind set on putting some LEDs in the footwell of my car, it's a 2009 v6 45th anniversary. I'm thinking I should draw power from the dome lights but not sure where to splice the wires to give the LEDs power, help?
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
I've got my mind set on putting some LEDs in the footwell of my car, it's a 2009 v6 45th anniversary. I'm thinking I should draw power from the dome lights but not sure where to splice the wires to give the LEDs power, help?
All you gotta do is find the dome light power wire splice in you power wire and then run a wire from a ground on your leds to a body ground
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
You wouldn't happen to know the color of the power wires for the dome lights would you?
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
No i dont but im sure you can find it on google
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
qccoles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Urbana
Region: Ohio
Posts: 107
Do you have an aftermarket headunit? I have red LED's in my footwells that are on whenever the radio is on.
qccoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Sad Panda
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
The wires to the dome light are in the passenger side pillar. Something else you could do is in the passenger side foot well open the fuse panel box and use a test light to find a fuse that's on while the key is on and off with the key off. Just ground the negative. There's a bolt grounded under that plastic interior piece and wrap the power wire around one side of the fuse's spades and plug it back in.
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mlarv5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kent Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
The wires to the dome light are in the passenger side pillar. Something else you could do is in the passenger side foot well open the fuse panel box and use a test light to find a fuse that's on while the key is on and off with the key off. Just ground the negative. There's a bolt grounded under that plastic interior piece and wrap the power wire around one side of the fuse's spades and plug it back in.

I agree to the point you say wrap the wire around the spade lug and plug it back in. I have seen to many problems with doing that on the smaller fuses. I would recommend one of these. Cooper Bussmann/ATM fuse tap (BP-HHH-RP) | Fuse and Accessories | AutoZone.com

These are a lot safer I feel
__________________
1968 Coupe <53000 miles on her 289 came off the line Jan 21st 1968. I bought it in 1983

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
The wires to the dome light are in the passenger side pillar. Something else you could do is in the passenger side foot well open the fuse panel box and use a test light to find a fuse that's on while the key is on and off with the key off. Just ground the negative. There's a bolt grounded under that plastic interior piece and wrap the power wire around one side of the fuse's spades and plug it back in.
I thought about drawing the energy from the fuse box at first, but I just had no idea what to do when I opened it up

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qccoles View Post
Do you have an aftermarket headunit? I have red LED's in my footwells that are on whenever the radio is on.
what'd you wire it to for the radio?
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Sad Panda
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
I agree to the point you say wrap the wire around the spade lug and plug it back in. I have seen to many problems with doing that on the smaller fuses. I would recommend one of these. Cooper Bussmann/ATM fuse tap (BP-HHH-RP) | Fuse and Accessories | AutoZone.com These are a lot safer I feel

I've never had issues but in sure what you suggested is safer!
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
You just need a test light. Open the cover theres a little bit if the metal prongs from the fuse so use the test light and find one that doest have power when the keys off and then turn the key on and see if it has power after and then you can either buy a fuse tap or just strip the wire and shove it in with the fuse then hook up the leds and then your done!
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
You just need a test light. Open the cover theres a little bit if the metal prongs from the fuse so use the test light and find one that doest have power when the keys off and then turn the key on and see if it has power after and then you can either buy a fuse tap or just strip the wire and shove it in with the fuse then hook up the leds and then your done!
wow, thanks man, this helped a whole lot!
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
wow, thanks man, this helped a whole lot!
No problem! Thats what we are here for
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
No problem! Thats what we are here for
if I strip the led wire, do I need to ground the negative wire? (Might be a stupid question)
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Sad Panda
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
im pretty sure that you do. what are you putting the power wire to?
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
im pretty sure that you do. what are you putting the power wire to?
fuse box
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Yes you have to ground the negative wire
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
qccoles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Urbana
Region: Ohio
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
I thought about drawing the energy from the fuse box at first, but I just had no idea what to do when I opened it up

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

what'd you wire it to for the radio?
I've had my dash open so much, I could probably take it apart in less than 3 minutes. It's been ran from my headunit for a while now. I ran the ground wire from the LED with the ground(black wire 90% of the time) from the headunits harness. I ran the power wire from the LED with the headunits 12v/ignition(red wire in my case). NOT THE CONSTANT 12v(yellow in my case), or else the LED's will be on even when the car is off, which you will not want..

Works great and positioned correctly, it will not bother you at all when you're driving. I'm using a Sony XAV601BT. Let me know if you need any help.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my LED's came from walmart. Yes, walmart. I'm not a fan of paying 2-4 times the price to order from someone like american muscle. I'm COMPLETELY satisfied with my LED's. 18 bucks and a half an hour install. Couldn't be happier.
qccoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Just want to give a big thanks to all who helped out, it looks sick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2984954211.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	134915
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
Sad Panda
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
Just want to give a big thanks to all who helped out, it looks sick!
purple?
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
purple?
Of course, it is my favorite color.
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
Sad Panda
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
Of course, it is my favorite color.
pretty sweet

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Mine was fuscia before I changed it to red
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
Just want to give a big thanks to all who helped out, it looks sick!
Looks good!
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
qccoles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Urbana
Region: Ohio
Posts: 107
How'd you end up wiring it? The only con about these are they amplify dirt for our DD's ;[
qccoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Registered User
Newbie
 
Sparkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by qccoles View Post
How'd you end up wiring it? The only con about these are they amplify dirt for our DD's ;[
I wired it into the fuse box, I'll vacuum my car every day for these if I need to
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:23 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.