My friends V6 has a problem... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My friends V6 has a problem...

He has an 06 auto convertible. His car will literally cut power, stall, and he has to fight to turn the wheel whenever it has this happen. It hasn't happened on the highway, yet, but he says it happens a lot in the city streets.

He has had the battery checked, and his starter is fine, power steering, nothing seems wrong. All the dealers and auto shops he has taken it to can't find a problem with it.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

Region: Texas
Happened to me try checking the alternator
McGriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post
Happened to me try checking the alternator
Thanks, I'll tell him tomorrow in school. What's odd is that the dealerships and mechanics he has taken it to can't find a problem, and Murphy's law, it never happens during the dealer test driving.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

Region: Texas
Try autozone they will hook up the to the computer and they will know if its the alternator or not.
McGriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post
Try autozone they will hook up the to the computer and they will know if its the alternator or not.
Thanks, I'll give him the suggestion.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
When my truck would kill whole driving and such it ended up being my fuel pump and starter at the same time making life difficult. Haha

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
When my truck would kill whole driving and such it ended up being my fuel pump and starter at the same time making life difficult. Haha
dang, when my friend said it I had a feeling it is his starter
Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
mine did that while i was swinging into my buddys driveway. 3700lbs traveling at 20mph does not very easily change course. i missed the brick mailbox though. it randomly shut down all electronics,then power steering, then the entire car. i never figured out why. hasnt happened since. it picked a good time though. we had just finished lightin up the backroads.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I told my friend about it, he also thinks it is his starter, but says that he will continue to drive it since no dealers and find the problem.

Personally I don't agree with that, seems way too dangerous, but it's his car, so...
Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
It sounds to be like some type of sensor. that's bad.I had a buick that did the same thing it was the camshaft sensor also on my dtrs suburu..
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
It sounds to be like some type of sensor. that's bad.I had a buick that did the same thing it was the camshaft sensor also on my dtrs suburu..
I have no idea what it could be really, we are all just guessing, it never happens when he takes it in, and no dealer or mechanic has been able to locate a problem with the car.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'm gonna say it's not the starter. As someone with training in automotive electrical. The starter is only used for just what it's name states... to start the car. Once the car is started it's "bendix" (the gear that spins the flywheel/flexplate) retracts into the starter so it's not interfering with the engine.

If I were you, I'd check how clean the throttle body is. Ford actually has a Technical Service Bulletin about the throttle bodies getting filled with sludge/gunk from fuel. My mum's Jaguar XK8 had the same problem. Cleaned the throttle body, and it hasn't stalled since. When I got my car the throttle body was pretty dirty. It's an often overlooked item to clean.
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang