Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Vibration/Noise at 1500 rpm

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  66Sprint200 
#1 ·
I just purchased a used(as is)2009 Mustang(4.0 v-6 auto.) and I have a loud(vibrating harmonics type) noise at 1500 rpm. It sounds like the exhaust rubbing the floor pan or something. It's not, I checked for that. The exhaust and everything on the car is factory original(No Mods) and looks great. I tried shifting to neutral at about 40 mph(1500 rpm) while noise was happening and noise went away. So it's definitely in the powertrain(not wheels, tires or bearings) and only at 1500 rpm. This is my first Ford and I hope it's not my last. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?:blink:

#2 ·
It could be the exhaust shields, I'm pretty sure the exhaust shields are the cause of the noise on my car. Or, and this is a big or.... there was a technical service bulletin about it... if you look under your car, the exhaust y pipe is connected to the transmission crossmember on both sides with hangers... The service bulletin says to remove the black rubber hangers and bend the pegs on the exhaust down away from the crossmember, as they were only there to aid in assembly at the factory.

Reactions: stockchaser
#3 ·
I certainly appreciate the feedback but there aren't any attachments from the exhaust to the crossmember on this car(may have been removed already). Heat shields look great(no cracks) and have grabbed all of them and pulled on them. They're tight and clean. Thank you for the ideas though. I have researched this problem on the internet for a few days now and have come to the conclusion that its an exhaust drone noise at 1500 rpm's and there's not much I can do about it. Oh well, I'm glad the cruising speed for the noise at 1500 rpm's is exactly 51 mph. I never cruise at just 51 mph! Ha! By the way, Nice Looking Car 66Sprint200.....

#4 ·
Thanks. :) My exhaust shields are tight too. I was going to roll the car up and pull them off and go for a drive. See if the noise was still there. If it is them I'm going to put something between the heat shield and body to insulate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.