Custom H-pipe w/h SLP Loudmouths??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Custom H-pipe w/h SLP Loudmouths???

Hello everyone,

I have spent more time than I care to admit examining ALL of the exhausts possibilities for my v6 and was planning on a MAC H-pipe/Pro chamber with their dual exhaust conversion kit, however recently I have been tempted to go to a local shop and have a custom H-pipe fabricated and connected to a set of SLP loudmouths. I have listened to TONS of clips of the Loudmouths and like the sound. That being said, often times videos on YouTube just aren't an accurate reflection of the sound itself, so I want to know if those mufflers (paired with the H-pipe) will be throaty, deep, and reasonably loud (I want to avoid "redneck" loud)? Also, what do you guys think of going the custom route and what you think it will cost me (assuming I'm supplying the axle back system)? I will call and get a quote when I can, but would like to hear from you guys to get a general sence. The shop is reputable so I'm not overly concerned there. I hope to get many responses and appreciate each and everyone I get.

Thank you,

Aventador97

2007 V6 Mustang (manual), Hurst/FR short throw, MAC dual exhaust, custom H-pipe, chin spoiler, GT front bumper, billet aluminum grill, GT500 rear bumper, GT500 wing, FR windshield banner, FR strut tower brace, LED interior lights, sequential taillights, FR side markers, slotted and drilled brakes, 93 Cobra teal painted (and cleared) stripes, etc.
Aventador97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador97 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have spent more time than I care to admit examining ALL of the exhausts possibilities for my v6 and was planning on a MAC H-pipe/Pro chamber with their dual exhaust conversion kit, however recently I have been tempted to go to a local shop and have a custom H-pipe fabricated and connected to a set of SLP loudmouths. I have listened to TONS of clips of the Loudmouths and like the sound. That being said, often times videos on YouTube just aren't an accurate reflection of the sound itself, so I want to know if those mufflers (paired with the H-pipe) will be throaty, deep, and reasonably loud (I want to avoid "redneck" loud)? Also, what do you guys think of going the custom route and what you think it will cost me (assuming I'm supplying the axle back system)? I will call and get a quote when I can, but would like to hear from you guys to get a general sence. The shop is reputable so I'm not overly concerned there. I hope to get many responses and appreciate each and everyone I get.

Thank you,

Aventador97
Personal opinion on loudmouths on a v6.
My buddy had some on his 07 custom h-pipe and had LM axel backs.
They sounded good up to about 3k and then they went very exotic sounding.
Again that's only because it is a six.

The only ones I know if that really kept a deep muscle car sound were chambered mufflers.
Ex: Flow 40s

I had them on my 03 v6 and loved it with my custom H-pipe. They were also decently loud.

Hope this helps you some.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
Personal opinion on loudmouths on a v6.
My buddy had some on his 07 custom h-pipe and had LM axel backs.
They sounded good up to about 3k and then they went very exotic sounding.
Again that's only because it is a six.

The only ones I know if that really kept a deep muscle car sound were chambered mufflers.
Ex: Flow 40s

I had them on my 03 v6 and loved it with my custom H-pipe. They were also decently loud.

Hope this helps you some.

Okay thanks, what would you and your body recommend as far as a deep throaty exhaust for the 4.0?

2007 V6 Mustang (manual), Hurst/FR short throw, MAC dual exhaust, custom H-pipe, chin spoiler, GT front bumper, billet aluminum grill, GT500 rear bumper, GT500 wing, FR windshield banner, FR strut tower brace, LED interior lights, sequential taillights, FR side markers, slotted and drilled brakes, 93 Cobra teal painted (and cleared) stripes, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay thanks, what would you and your body recommend as far as a deep throaty exhaust for the 4.0?
Custom H-pipe.
Roush ABs
Flow 40s

Any good chambered mufflers
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What do you think about the MAC axle backs? (Sorry to keep asking questions!)

Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you think about the MAC axle backs? (Sorry to keep asking questions!)
Questions are not a problem as this is exactly what the forum is for!

I personally have never heard a Mac AB. On any car set up. Though I do know Mac makes very top quality parts.
If you are looking at Mac might I also suggest looking at Corsa, I know Corsa always sounds very good.

Make sure they are a chamber(flow 40s/roush/magnaflow) and not a straight through design(magnapacks, borla stingers, SLP loudmouths)

Most commonly straight through designs are used on v8s because the engine itself produces a more throaty sound even paired with an x pipe they sound throaty.
Now on a v6 because it does have two less cylinders(which is not a bad thing, I loved my v6) will produce more of an exotic sound. To reduce that sound chambered mufflers are always a good bet, adding an H-pipe will really help deepen the sound has well.

On my 03 v6, it had a nice growl up until 5k then it sounded more exotic/v6 like. Which is what most will sound like. In my experience the flow 40s drone about 2-2.5k.
Which meant cruising on the freeway did have a solid drone, but it was a nice sound, I personally like a little drone.

Rule of thumb(IMO)
V6:
Use chambered mufflers for a deep sound
Pair with an h with a deeper tone
Pair with an x for a more exotic tone

Using straight thru design will make it very loud and exotic sounding, sometimes it can sound rice so on a v6 I would suggest only using an h-pipe with straight thrus.

And if you are looking for RWHO gains deleting the cats will net you 10-15 with a tune. If you don't have a tune all it will do is throw a code.

And for people who try to tell you the x makes more power, do not listen.
The X vs H has been tested many times, it comes out to less than a 5 horsepower difference if that!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Questions are not a problem as this is exactly what the forum is for!

I personally have never heard a Mac AB. On any car set up. Though I do know Mac makes very top quality parts.
If you are looking at Mac might I also suggest looking at Corsa, I know Corsa always sounds very good.

Make sure they are a chamber(flow 40s/roush/magnaflow) and not a straight through design(magnapacks, borla stingers, SLP loudmouths)

Most commonly straight through designs are used on v8s because the engine itself produces a more throaty sound even paired with an x pipe they sound throaty.
Now on a v6 because it does have two less cylinders(which is not a bad thing, I loved my v6) will produce more of an exotic sound. To reduce that sound chambered mufflers are always a good bet, adding an H-pipe will really help deepen the sound has well.

On my 03 v6, it had a nice growl up until 5k then it sounded more exotic/v6 like. Which is what most will sound like. In my experience the flow 40s drone about 2-2.5k.
Which meant cruising on the freeway did have a solid drone, but it was a nice sound, I personally like a little drone.

Rule of thumb(IMO)
V6:
Use chambered mufflers for a deep sound
Pair with an h with a deeper tone
Pair with an x for a more exotic tone

Using straight thru design will make it very loud and exotic sounding, sometimes it can sound rice so on a v6 I would suggest only using an h-pipe with straight thrus.

And if you are looking for RWHO gains deleting the cats will net you 10-15 with a tune. If you don't have a tune all it will do is throw a code.

And for people who try to tell you the x makes more power, do not listen.
The X vs H has been tested many times, it comes out to less than a 5 horsepower difference if that!

Hope this helps.

Thanks a million, this helps a ton. I will certainly check to make sure that the exhausts I buy are chambered as I hate the riced out mustangs aesthetically and sound wise. I am certainly planning on using an H-pipe (custom or MAC I'm not sure). I also love my v6 and my parents have many more powerful v8 cars I have driven. Thanks again and I will keep everyone updated on what I decide to choose.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks a million, this helps a ton. I will certainly check to make sure that the exhausts I buy are chambered as I hate the riced out mustangs aesthetically and sound wise. I am certainly planning on using an H-pipe (custom or MAC I'm not sure). I also love my v6 and my parents have many more powerful v8 cars I have driven. Thanks again and I will keep everyone updated on what I decide to choose.
No problem, I wish I had a sound clip of my v6. Maybe I'll be able to find it.

A custom or Mac h will run the same price most likely ask an exhaust shop what they would do an h-pipe for.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No problem, I wish I had a sound clip of my v6. Maybe I'll be able to find it.

A custom or Mac h will run the same price most likely ask an exhaust shop what they would do an h-pipe for.

Ya that would be great if you can dig one up. Otherwise I will have to get a quote and go from there.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya that would be great if you can dig one up. Otherwise I will have to get a quote and go from there.
My custom H cost me 120. Full stainless piping.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

How much was the install if you don't mind me asking?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much was the install if you don't mind me asking?
Total came to 150 I believe.
So 30 bucks?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that sounds great!!! I appreciate all of your help

Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow that sounds great!!! I appreciate all of your help
No problem, post up ur results when your finished!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #15

Region: Missouri
i have macs dual conversion kit on my 06 v6, personally love the sound, cold starts sound great and once it warms up still sounds good on throttle, but you mostly lose your idle tone when it warms up very subtle. ive been looking to get an h pipe to give me alittle more throaty idle andd alittle deeper. id go mac all the way design is great and manufactured perfectly giant 4 inch tips too. hope this helps
mcnattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnattb View Post
i have macs dual conversion kit on my 06 v6, personally love the sound, cold starts sound great and once it warms up still sounds good on throttle, but you mostly lose your idle tone when it warms up very subtle. ive been looking to get an h pipe to give me alittle more throaty idle andd alittle deeper. id go mac all the way design is great and manufactured perfectly giant 4 inch tips too. hope this helps

Yes it does, thank you very much for the feedback.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang