Installing SR springs advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via MSN to dudeitsdylan
Installing SR springs advice

I'm planning on having my SR springs (1.5" drop) installed this week and I have a few questions before I do.

1. Is it okay to install just the springs and nothing else or do I need to buy stuff to install along with it?

2. Do I need to get an alignment after it's lowered?

3. How long should it take to install them?

This is my first time ever getting a car lowered so I don't know anything about it, so any info is appreciated.
dudeitsdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
1.) Yes it is okay
2.) Yes an alignment is recommended sometime down the road. Let the springs sit for around 2-3 weeks after you install them to let them sit.
3.) Took me about 2 and a half hours with the help of my dad. Front ones are a pain in the ***. But the back ones you just disconnect a few things then set a jack *carefully* on the differential then drop that and slide them right in.
Current Vehicle: 2012 Black Mustang 3.7 with a k&n 69 typhoon sieries CAI Ford racing Strut tower brace Forgestar f14s on the way 😈 | Past vehicles Ford ranger | 2001 Jeep Wranger | 2007 White v6 mustang |

Lmo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
There are a few other things you'll need to take care of when lowering your Mustang. You're going to want to install an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear axle. The factory panhard bar is non-adjustable and will kick out the rear axle about a half inch to the driver side if it's not taken care of. A half inch is hard to notice by eye, but it will affect the balance of the suspension and wear of your tires over time.

Secondly, you'll absolutely need an alignment after the install. Along with the alignment, camber bolts are needed to keep the alignment within spec. Of course, you can always use caster/camber plates instead, but they're a much more expensive option than camber bolts.

Lastly, I would plan to take a whole day for the installation when you're doing it for the first time. Don't rush and you'll get through the install just fine. To make things even easier, check the customer submitted install guide under the SR Performance lowering springs product page. Here's a direct link if you need it!

This should cover everything you need to know, but if you have more questions feel free to ask!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Can I drive the car without the Panhard rod? Could I order the rod and install the springs and drive the car while I'm waiting for it?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsdylan View Post
Can I drive the car without the Panhard rod? Could I order the rod and install the springs and drive the car while I'm waiting for it?
Yes
Current Vehicle: 2012 Black Mustang 3.7 with a k&n 69 typhoon sieries CAI Ford racing Strut tower brace Forgestar f14s on the way 😈 | Past vehicles Ford ranger | 2001 Jeep Wranger | 2007 White v6 mustang |

Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
I don't suggest driving the car without the panhard bar installed. The 05-14 Mustangs, which come equipped with factory panhard bars, also use a 3 link control arm system. It doesn't have the same stability as the older 4 link, which don't need or use a panhard bar from the factory.

Without a panhard bar, your rear end will tend to sway under load. I'm sure you can still drive it and get away with it, but I personally wouldn't. In fact, I'd rather keep the stock panhard bar in there, than run nothing at all. This sound like your best option!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
I don't suggest driving the car without the panhard bar installed. The 05-14 Mustangs, which come equipped with factory panhard bars, also use a 3 link control arm system. It doesn't have the same stability as the older 4 link, which don't need or use a panhard bar from the factory.

Without a panhard bar, your rear end will tend to sway under load. I'm sure you can still drive it and get away with it, but I personally wouldn't. In fact, I'd rather keep the stock panhard bar in there, than run nothing at all. This sound like your best option!

Shane

I meant keep the stock one there until the new one arrived. I guess I'll just wait though. I already ordered the J&M Panhard bar and eibach camber bolts from AM the day you said I should. I'm just excited to get it lowered finally, but I'll wait it out a few more days so everything turns out good.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I meant keep the stock one there until the new one arrived. I guess I'll just wait though. I already ordered the J&M Panhard bar and eibach camber bolts from AM the day you said I should. I'm just excited to get it lowered finally, but I'll wait it out a few more days so everything turns out good.
You also have to realize am is going to try to sell their products

Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Gotcha. Well if you've already ordered it, than you'll be okay for a few days with the stock unit. No harm there really. As long as you're running some type of panhard bar for stability.

Sounds like you're all set though! You'll have to let me know what you think once everything is installed.

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmo36 View Post
You also have to realize am is going to try to sell their products
Lmo36,

It's no secret that I prefer to sell AM products over another competitors. However, this doesn't mean I will or ever have given out false information to persuade a customer to purchase extra products that are not needed. In this case, the OP truly should not use the stock panhard bar for an extended period of time. Which is why I recommended an adjustable version.

At first, I was under the impression the OP was suggesting to not run any panhard bar at all, temporarily, until he bought an adjustable one. Which is why I strongly warned against it. Although, he has cleared this up for me already.

Just wanted to clarify things here!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha. Well if you've already ordered it, than you'll be okay for a few days with the stock unit. No harm there really. As long as you're running some type of panhard bar for stability.

Sounds like you're all set though! You'll have to let me know what you think once everything is installed.

Shane

Lmo36,

It's no secret that I prefer to sell AM products over another competitors. However, this doesn't mean I will or ever have given out false information to persuade a customer to purchase extra products that are not needed. In this case, the OP truly should not use the stock panhard bar for an extended period of time. Which is why I recommended an adjustable version.

At first, I was under the impression the OP was suggesting to not run any panhard bar at all, temporarily, until he bought an adjustable one. Which is why I strongly warned against it. Although, he has cleared this up for me already.

Shane

I buy all of my stuff from AM, I don't even look anywhere else unless they don't have it like when I bought 39lb fuel injectors and they don't sell them. That's the only time I buy from anywhere else. I think it's worth it even if it's a little more price wise just because the costumer service is sooo good.

Anyways, Panhard bar came in today and camber bolts are coming in tomorrow. I think we are installing everything tomorrow so I'll keep you updated. Hopefully everything turns out good and we won't run into any issues!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Shane

Lmo36,

Shane
No your fine! I get it and I understand you guys probably have more knowledge than me. I'm also just saying that I just put these springs in and everything is fine. For now lol if something does happen tho I guarantee I will be buying my parts from you guys

Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
I buy all of my stuff from AM, I don't even look anywhere else unless they don't have it like when I bought 39lb fuel injectors and they don't sell them. That's the only time I buy from anywhere else. I think it's worth it even if it's a little more price wise just because the costumer service is sooo good.

Anyways, Panhard bar came in today and camber bolts are coming in tomorrow. I think we are installing everything tomorrow so I'll keep you updated. Hopefully everything turns out good and we won't run into any issues!
Thanks for the kind words! We're lucky to have you as a customer. That's for sure!

Looking forward to your next update. Hope it includes some pictures too!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmo36 View Post
No your fine! I get it and I understand you guys probably have more knowledge than me. I'm also just saying that I just put these springs in and everything is fine. For now lol if something does happen tho I guarantee I will be buying my parts from you guys
Gotcha. Sorry for any misunderstanding on my end! Thanks for clarifying though.

Thank you for your support and business as well!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got them installed the other day. It didn't drop it a lot like I expected, but it for sure gave it a meaner stance. I'm really happy with how it came out. Excuse my car being so dirty, lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393098189.791288.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	999.5 KB
ID:	148550

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393098203.202934.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	982.6 KB
ID:	148551

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393098216.469934.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1,018.6 KB
ID:	148552

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393098233.052454.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	817.2 KB
ID:	148553
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Wow looks great man, did it keep the stock stance where the front is a tad bit lower than the back? It looks like it did, that's why I choose the SRs over the others, b/c they lower the car the same amount on all four corners. I haven't gotten mine in yet. One other question for you, what camber bolts did you buy?

2007 V6 Mustang (manual), Hurst/FR short throw, MAC dual exhaust, custom H-pipe, chin spoiler, GT front bumper, billet aluminum grill, GT500 rear bumper, GT500 wing, FR windshield banner, FR strut tower brace, LED interior lights, sequential taillights, FR side markers, slotted and drilled brakes, 93 Cobra teal painted (and cleared) stripes, etc.
Aventador97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It will drop more than that. You have to give them a few weeks to settle.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador97 View Post
Wow looks great man, did it keep the stock stance where the front is a tad bit lower than the back? It looks like it did, that's why I choose the SRs over the others, b/c they lower the car the same amount on all four corners. I haven't gotten mine in yet. One other question for you, what camber bolts did you buy?

Yeah, it kept it like that. The front is still a tad bit lower. & I got the eibach camber bolts.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
It will drop more than that. You have to give them a few weeks to settle.

That's what I figured and hoping for, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang