Glasspack used to eliminate drone? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Glasspack used to eliminate drone?

I am in a local car club, and after asking around a guy has recommended that I have a glasspack installed to help eliminate the exhaust drone that I am experiencing... I am thinking of getting this glasspack installed: Thrush Glasspack/Glass pack muffler (24214) | Muffler | AutoZone.com

Just wanted to see if anyone has done this before and how it affected the drone and exhaust tone/pitch. The guy who recommended doing it said a longer glasspack like this one would deepen the sound and get rid of the drone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My main objective is to get rid of the exhaust drone and either keep the current exhaust note or deepen it even more.

Driving a 2007 Mustang, 4.0L V6, single Pypes Street-Pro axle-back exhaust.
07Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Get true duals...that'll help drone as well. And horsepower. My single Flowmaster I had at first droned terribly. I now have Pypes mid muffler catback and it's a wide open exhaust with zero drone
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

I know... I wish I could but my budget won't allow me get a setup like that.

I'm really interested in how the glasspack will affect the sound and if it's a good way to get rid of the drone.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Vista View Post
I know... I wish I could but my budget won't allow me get a setup like that.

I'm really interested in how the glasspack will affect the sound and if it's a good way to get rid of the drone.

Thanks

My buddy recently got a cherry bomb glass pack on his new edge v6. They took off the muffler and it sounds pretty good. I haven't ridden in the car with him but it sounds pretty good and I was thinking about doing the same. I took my muffler off for fun and the drone sucks haha but it's $50 for the muffler/glasspack and charged $70-100 for install. YouTube is your friend!
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschmidty View Post
My buddy recently got a cherry bomb glass pack on his new edge v6. They took off the muffler and it sounds pretty good. I haven't ridden in the car with him but it sounds pretty good and I was thinking about doing the same. I took my muffler off for fun and the drone sucks haha but it's $50 for the muffler/glasspack and charged $70-100 for install. YouTube is your friend!
Thanks, I'm wondering if the drone will be gone with the glasspack installed in the midpipe in addition to the pypes muffler I have installed though.

The drone is really my main concern. The exhaust sounds great, inside and out, but the drone on the highway and certain cruising speeds is what I really want to fix.

I've looked all over youtube and can't seem to find any specific to the 4.0L mustang where someone has installed a glasspack AND an aftermarket muffler. Or any decent videos about the glasspack being used to get rid of the drone. The one I'm buying is about $25 and I have the tools to install it myself.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Vista View Post
Thanks, I'm wondering if the drone will be gone with the glasspack installed in the midpipe in addition to the pypes muffler I have installed though.

The drone is really my main concern. The exhaust sounds great, inside and out, but the drone on the highway and certain cruising speeds is what I really want to fix.

I've looked all over youtube and can't seem to find any specific to the 4.0L mustang where someone has installed a glasspack AND an aftermarket muffler. Or any decent videos about the glasspack being used to get rid of the drone. The one I'm buying is about $25 and I have the tools to install it myself.

I see your problem. Glasspacks have been known to reduce drone as far as I know. If you have the time and money, considering you can install it yourself, I would try it and experiment with it
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschmidty View Post
I see your problem. Glasspacks have been known to reduce drone as far as I know. If you have the time and money, considering you can install it yourself, I would try it and experiment with it
Thanks, I'm glad to hear another person say they've heard it reduces drone. I can't stand it... haha. Thankfully I don't have to drive on the highway much around here.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had done it (glasspack+aftermarket muffler) and what their experience was before I actually make the cuts. I'd hate to spend the time and money only to find out I don't like how it sounds, or that the drone is still there...

If it sounded worse I'd have to get the section of midpipe welded back too... I just wish someone would get on this thread and say they did exactly what I'm considering doing, haha.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If you can't do duels then yeah man either a glass pack or a Pypes M-80 muffler will tone down the drone for sure man
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

Hey guys, thanks again for the advice!

I swear I have to be one of very few, if not the only S197 owners with a 4.0L V6 that has posted about using a glasspack in the midpipe to get rid of the drone from an aftermarket axle-back muffler. I couldn't really find much about this when I tried to research it. Hopefully this will help out some people searching for this fix in future.

This really helped with the drone problem, I'm guessing a drop of about 20 decibels. It's significantly quieter inside the car and the exhaust still sounds pretty loud (and a little better in my opinion) outside the car. By quieter I mean as soon as I got in and drove it was like a different car, there was no overwhelming drone noise in the city at 1900-2100rpms and highway driving is significantly better too. The exhaust note is more consistent now with a consistent rumble at idle and under load it doesn't pop and rasp as much. Sounds slightly deeper too.

PROJECT DETAILS:
Thrush Glasspack from AutoZone: $23.10 (w/military discount)
Exhaust welding/install at local shop: $30
Time for install: roughly 15-20 minutes

TOTAL COST: $53.10 (including tax)

Video right after glasspack install

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glasspack.jpg
Views:	10195
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	151243

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glasspack2.jpg
Views:	13938
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	151244

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang