(Pt 3of3) COMPLETE How To Install: M90 on 4.OL V6 SOHC - Mustang 05-10 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Region: Canada
(Pt 3of3) COMPLETE How To Install: M90 on 4.OL V6 SOHC - Mustang 05-10

**NOTE: PART 3 of 3 (30 image limit on this blog)

Use the RTV Black Liquid Gasket and put a thin bead on both the Supercharger and the Moddbox Intake Manifold. Press the Moddbox Intake Manifold Assembly onto the hose prepared in a previous step.

Bolt the Moddbox Intake Manifold to the back of the Supercharger using the provided four M8x25 SHCS bolts. Use the RTV Black Liquid Gasket to seal the Moddbox Custom Washer in place as shown (the bolt located inside the Intake Manifold). Tighten the 2" stainless hose clamp around the bypass valve.

Note: The Moddbox Custom Washer must be reversed for the 94-95 Superchargers (orientation shown is for the 89-93 superchargers).

Use the RTV Black Liquid Gasket and place a bead around the Intake Manifold Top Flange. Place and bolt-up the Intake Manifold Cover as shown. This whole Supercharger Assembly will be used in the next steps.

Remove the rags or paper towels in your Engine Inlet Ports. Apply a thin bead of Black Liquid Gasket along the Plenum Base Plate. Caution: Be sure to apply gasket material around all the bolt holes (as illustrated in the photo below). The gasket material must be extended to the inside edge of the mating face as shown on the bottom-left of the photo below. Failure to do so can result in a leak in your Intake Manifold Assembly.

(Note: Engine rags/paper towels removed from engine ports prior to installing Plenum Top Plate)

Place the whole Supercharger Assembly on the Moddbox Plenum Bottom Plate. Align the holes and bolt it down using the twelve M8x30 hex bolts. Do not forget the bolt under the Supercharger Snout. Torque the bolts in a cross-pattern.

Locate the disconnected Fuel Vapor Return Line. Cut off the press fit connection and reconnect it to the remaining 3/8” barb on the ModdBox Intake Manifold.

Connect the fuel Vapor Return Line to the un-used Barb as illustrated.

Use the provided 1/4" Tee and connect the Brake Boost and Vac Lines to the 14" long 3/8" diameter hose connected to the Supercharger Assembly (prepared in an earlier step). Secure the Vac lines with the provided hose clamps.

Connect the Moddbox Flexible EGR Extension to your EGR valve.

Install the EGR Valve using the Moddbox EGR Spacer and the provided M8x40 SHCS bolts. Note: The provided spacer is anodized black (raw aluminium shown).

Install the Throttle Body.

Bend the Stainless Steel EGR Extension to suit. Secure it with the provided C-clamps as shown. Connect the EGR Extension to the stock EGR re-circulation line. Caution: The Stainless Steel EGR Extension is not designed to be twisted. Do not twist the EGR Extension when tightening the threads or damage to the extension may occur.

Use a knife and carefully cut your Stock Rubber Intake Pipe along the center of the ribs as shown. Be sure to count the ribs and confirm the exact location for cutting.

Use your knife and carefully carve out the ribs to allow for a stainless hose clamp.

Install the Moddbox Intake Pipes using the Stock Rubber Intake pieces and the provided hose clamps.

Install the 5/8" diameter hose to the Crankcase vents as shown. Use the provided Tee and stainless steel hose clamps to securely fasten them together. You may opt to cut off the stock crankcase vent connection ends and reuse them if a stock-looking snap fitting is preferred.

Use the provided wire and butt crimps to extend your Electronic Throttle, TPS, and EGR plugs. Use the loom and remaining plastic strap to secure and clean-up the wiring once completed. Plug the wires back into the TPS and EGR.

Slack your Belt Tensioner using a 3/8” Box Wrench or Belt Removal Tool. Remove the Stock belt and replace it with the ModdBox 6PK Belt as illustrated below.

Optional. Affix the "Supercharged" emblems where appropriate.

Plug in the MAF sensor, reconnect the disconnected Ignition wires, top up the coolant level, and reconnect the battery. You must allow the liquid gasket material to fully cure at room temperature or as per the manufacturer's recommendations. Failure to provide the necessary curing time may lead to vacuum leaks.

CONNECTION CHECK LIST

MAF sensor plug

Vac Line to EGR Valve

EGR Stainless Recirculation Line (if equipped)

Crank Case Vent Hose to Intake Tube (may be 2 depending on your model)

IAC Electrical Plug (may need to check polarity on the wiring extension)

TPS Electrical Plug (may need to check polarity on the wiring extension)

Ignition Coil Plug

Fuel Vapor Return Line

Fuel Injection Vacuum Line

Brake Booster Vacuum Line

... hope you enjoyed the blog. Happy Supercharging.
moddbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
How much in total did this end up costing you if you don't mind me asking? Cuz I've always wanted to supercharge my sixxer i just could never justify spending 5-6 k to do so
Atrav83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrav83 View Post
How much in total did this end up costing you if you don't mind me asking? Cuz I've always wanted to supercharge my sixxer i just could never justify spending 5-6 k to do so
I used a Salvage blower and got it for $150. The kit cost was $2199 (no tax to US). I picked up a set of 8 injectors for ~$220. Plugs ~$40. SCT X4 with online tuning services from Lasotaracing.com for $499. That's it.

All in price: $3108 actual cost. You can get everything free ship or picked up from your local parts store if you look around... even the kit if you wait for specials (free shipping on now till May 15). I did have to borrow an A/F O2 sensor to do the logging with the SCT... but you can get one WITH digital gauge now for around $179.

So to say the least... it's not free - but it's still half price. The kit was developed to utilize "obsolete" superchargers (superchargers that are shelved an no longer have an application). Superchargers don't go bad either. Just press some new bearings in and they're new again. The screw-style technology really hasn't changed much since their invention.... and they produce much better bottom-end torque curves over the centrifugal style.

Since the bulk of the cost of Supercharger Kits is the proprietary supercharger (almost all internals of supercharger manufacturers are made from the same few big incorporations)... the Moddbox option is pretty cost effective if you do decide to supercharger.

Hope that helps

PS. Don Lasota @ Lasota Racing did an amazing job on the tune too. He got the thing dialed so quick with only about 4 or 5 data logs. I guess it helps when you have a pile of tunes on the shelf ready to go. IMO.. he's the best in the biz.

Edit: The kit also added around 100hp... probably pushing around 310hp at the crank (250 rwhp). I was pretty shocked at how much more fun it was to drive. It's an animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Can this set up work if we have an aftermarket CAI? I have an Airaid CAI. Does moddbox have a website?
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Sprint200 View Post
Can this set up work if we have an aftermarket CAI? I have an Airaid CAI. Does moddbox have a website?
Hey 66Sprint200. Thanks for the interest!

Any aftermarket CAI should be fine but you may need an adapter if it's a different diameter. The Moddbox aluminium intake pipe is 76mm so it's easy to connect to and delete your stock airbox. Often times aftermarket CAIs change the inside diameter and affect the MAF (often slightly smaller producing higher voltage signal and riching your mixture).. since you will be tuning it anyways, your custom tune will need to take this into account.

As for a Moddbox website... you can find it here @ moddbox.com.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that is awesome news for our sixxers!! Haha
Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey Atra, I know this is off topic but where did you get the halo fog lights for your pony package grille?
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Those were custom mounted by me and my dad, they were a ***** lol I got them off some website, I have the receipt at home I'll put it on here tomorrow, I don't even have that grille anymore though haha my car is way different from back then
Old 06-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

For a limited time, receive free shipping on all Moddbox orders of $299 or more. Visit our website
Old 07-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #10

Just posted a universal tuning blog. This is applicable for all custom supercharger/turbo installs and even naturally aspirated.
Check it out here: Moddbox Tuning Blog
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Moddbox do you sell the parts to piece this together? That way I could buy a part every paycheck

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Codyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #12

Hey Codyty. Thanks for your inquiry. We've sent you an email.

ps. We have a huge boxing day sale on the kit right now. New MSRP price $2099. Another $200 off till December 31!

Happy New year!
Old 12-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Any chance at an adapter plate for a 3v?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #14

@natestang07
All I can say right now is that we have a 3V in the shop.

That being said, we are a small company consisting of a few parts manufacturers, engineers, and motor heads. We started this company as a hobby company. We are building these kits and products to make boosting fun and affordable for others while providing ourselves an outlet where we can have fun doing what we want while getting the tax benefits of being a federal corporation So to say the least... we taking our time. If we release the kit to market, it will be at least a year out.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #15

Pricing & hp adjustment

As quoted above, our hp numbers were for the 8 psi pulley. We now offer a 9.5 psi pulley as well. In addition, our new MSRP pricing is 2099$ (does not include other promotions or discounts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moddbox View Post
I used a Salvage blower and got it for $150. The kit cost was $2099 (no tax to US). I picked up a set of 8 injectors for ~$220. Plugs ~$40. SCT X4 with online tuning services from Lasotaracing.com for $499. That's it.

All in price: $3008 actual cost. You can get everything free ship or picked up from your local parts store if you look around... even the kit if you wait for specials (free shipping on now till May 15). I did have to borrow an A/F O2 sensor to do the logging with the SCT... but you can get one WITH digital gauge now for around $179.

So to say the least... it's not free - but it's still half price. The kit was developed to utilize "readily available" superchargers (superchargers that are shelved an no longer have an application). Superchargers don't go bad either. Just press some new bearings in and they're new again. The screw-style technology really hasn't changed much since their invention.... and they produce much better bottom-end torque curves over the centrifugal style.

Since the bulk of the cost of Supercharger Kits is the proprietary supercharger (almost all internals of supercharger manufacturers are made from the same few big corporations)... the Moddbox option is pretty cost effective if you do decide to supercharge.

Hope that helps

PS. Don Lasota @ Lasota Racing did an amazing job on the tune too. He got the thing dialed so quick with only about 4 or 5 data logs. I guess it helps when you have a pile of tunes on the shelf ready to go. IMO.. he's the best in the biz.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddbox View Post
@natestang07
All I can say right now is that we have a 3V in the shop.

That being said, we are a small company consisting of a few parts manufacturers, engineers, and motor heads. We started this company as a hobby company. We are building these kits and products to make boosting fun and affordable for others while providing ourselves an outlet where we can have fun doing what we want while getting the tax benefits of being a federal corporation So to say the least... we taking our time. If we release the kit to market, it will be at least a year out.
I have seen a couple people make it work but nothing produced to where I can buy it. I would hop all over that!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang