Bbk 70mm throttle body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Bbk 70mm throttle body

So I had a mechanic install this throttle body with a speeda throttle body spacer. I stood there and watched him do everything and he even pulled me in to show me the voltage and that it was set to the exact voltage the instructions from BBK said. So it's all done. Back out, roll 5 feet, check engine and angry wrench come on and my car starts to bog down and stall. Read the code at 616. Not sure what to do. Had a drive home an hour from the shop with the wrench and check engine on, stalling. It accelerates on it's own and doesn't want to stop. The rpms are high and it rides like a champ and I can definitely feel the improvement from the parts. But when it drops rpms and I'm driving in the street it's terrible. Ford dealership refused to help me because they hit off work in an hour and told me to come Monday, I work all week and only have weekends when most shops are closed. No mechanics know what to do, some kid at Ford said to tune it and it'll be fine. But I'm not sure. I'm very worried about my ride and it's not even fun to drive anymore. Anyone know what to do or experience this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
H1tmanevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also, seats stopped adjusting, sometimes e brake light stays on when it's down, Windows get stuck now, TCS turns off on its own, cruise control no longer works. It only worked once on the way home, no issues! As soon as I got off the ramp and into a street it bogged down and stalled, no more cruise control and have to get home bogging and stalling. Sometimes it hella me that I have to check my brakes and starts doing random stuff like that. I wasted 2 tanks if gas, my entire Saturday and money to get it installed. As well as the parts, maybe am or BBK can reimburse me for all of that. The bolts in the BBK kit didn't fit either so had to get longer ones. AM also refused to help me because they're East coast based too and they were getting off and didn't care one bit. Screw over there people on the west all the time. Terrible customer service from BBK and am, no help, 2 week delivery from East coast too, that's ridiculous. Anyone have any information obtained how to fix this throttle body? Don't think I'm purchasing from those two terrible companies again.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Doesn't sound like a throttle body issue. Sounds like an installation issue.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Followed all the BBK instructions that were in the box. So unless they made them wrong..

Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

New update. Used my tuner to check them case and all of this came up. Any ideas? I think it's a sensor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402860416489.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	159305  
Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Makes sense that the check engine light might come on after installation. more air means you have to tweak air-fuel ratio no? Although i don't think just a TB would make THAT much of a difference a tune might be nice. Are you running a CAI? A quick google search on le interwebz regarding that code suggests checking your filter and MAF sensor. Give it a clean? Go figure
Zhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I have a cai. It's working fine. I saw that code video on YouTube.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Tune it
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I did but nothing. Now waiting on Bama to send me a custom tune for it.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Oh yeah a regular just generic 4.0 tune won't do a thing. The Bama tune should help
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Bama is already working on a tune for me. I'm going back to the mechanic tomorrow to redo the voltage and the spring. Could be the problem. Would today but I'm stuck on duty, don't join the Marines guys lol. I'll keep you guys updated on a fix, maybe it'll help someone out in the future.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I added a throttle body spacer and it messed my tune up. Because I have the older Mustang I temporarily went back to the factory tune and everything was A ok.

The boxes tb dyno results basically said, do not expect much. I was surprised by the results!

My Point .........get a new tune

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'm doing. Just took off the spacer since it really does nothing at all. Running it on a weak tune so it runs and won't stall / bog down. Waiting on day 2 to hear from Bama for my tune. AM is always slow and absolutely horrible. Saw tons if mustangs at a shop I went to btw. Saleen, cobra and gt 500 all parked outside completely modded. Should have seen inside the bay.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Bama sent me my tunes with the wrong serial number. Just one letter off. An A instead of and 8. More reasons why Am sucks.. Now I have to wait even longer for them to fix themselves..

Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Keep us updated. I was going to purchase new tb, dont want to run into same issue.

Sent from my C811 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'll let you know kyle. It could just be the tune. I'm on the phone with Bama right now.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

They said they would change the one letter in my serial number that was wrong and send me my tunes again in ten minutes. At least Pat is locked on, I'd tune but I'm at work and the 1st Sgt is coming through and we're going to get murdered. So probably won't be able to tune until early tomorrow morning when we're done cleaning for 26 hours, then I'll let you know if that fixed the engine light, wrench and problems.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Okay managed too tune it. I have it on street tune and ALL the problems are now gone. So we've solved the mystery that's circulating the Internet about the BBK throttle body. You NEED to tune it or it will have the check engine and wrench light, stall and bog down. Hope this helps people out in the future. I used Bama SF X3 tuner with 91 octane Street tune specifically tuned from Bama performance.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know! Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for the good info. Good luck with work and the shirt!

Sent from my C811 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang