Scary Problem, bottomed out - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #1

Region: Rhode Island
Scary Problem, bottomed out

Hey guys so I had a really scary time tonight, I was driving and bottomed out on manhole cover. The thing protrudes about 7 inches from the street. As soon as I saw i had to go over it I heard a knock and instantly my engine died, in third gear. I coasted about 20 feet and came to a stop. I was hoping to just start her back up but she would not start, I waited about 45 minutes and she started but sounded terrible. She was gargling but as I hit the gas to drive to my friends to leave it there the accelerator would not respond and the engine stalled again quickly

At the moment my plan is to return to it in the morning and hope she starts, as if this is just a bad dream. Luckily I am parked in a safe neighborhood a just down the road from my friends house.

I don't know what my plan will be if it doesn't start but any advice would be much appreciated.
RIstang20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Take pictures and document everything. You may be submitting legal documentation to the local municipality. A exposed manhole cover may yield you some recourse from the local authority. You could have totaled the car easily.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #3

Yea I planned on that, does anybody know how to find out if the street is a city or state street?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Also the road is not under construction, it has been like that for the last 4 years, probably longer it's just as long as Ive been living in the area
Old 09-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Report it to your DOT and tow it to the dealership from that location.

This way you have documentation that incident happened there and have tow truck driver make a note and observation on his tow report.

Have dealer write up damage and mention to them what happened and have the put in their explanation, what caused the damage.

If it is major, you may want to go through your insurance.
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
stupid question but did you look underneath the car?
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #7

Yes I did, there was a little fluid underneath but it seemed more like water from the a/c being on. However it was dark out and I wasn't able to further inspect it for color or viscosity. I will post more information about things like that tomorrow.

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge when looking under the car but I didn't notice anything hanging lose or out of the ordinary.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
When you drove did you smell anything odd? One of the most common things that happens to me when i ran over something to high or low was my radiator would cracked. Check your gauges. See if you cars over heating when you drive it. Honestly you could have broken a lot of thing's. I'm just saying the one thing that always broke on me. I'm on my like 3th one.
strips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstang20 View Post
Also the road is not under construction, it has been like that for the last 4 years, probably longer it's just as long as Ive been living in the area
WOW! It's hard to imagine a 7" high MH in a public way for 4 years. And if it's been there that long how the hell did you manage to run over it?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #10

5 days have pasted. No update on what damaged yet..
Pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
thomasj61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang