Someone offered me an '05 procharged v6.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Someone offered me an '05 procharged v6..

Hey y'all, I'm clearly new to the forum, though I've read countless posts on here before. I seem to find answers here when I need to so I figured I might as well register. So I'm trying to sell my 2010 (base coupe) GT w/17,000 original miles and today someone offered me an '05 V6 coupe 5 speed with 50,000 miles and 3,600 miles on an intercooled procharger kit running 6psi on stock internals. Owner says it ran a 11.87 in a 1/4 mile, that it's pushing 345rwhp and 320 lb-ft, and it has been dyno tuned. It was built by Ford Performance in Six Flags, GA. The guys at Ford Performance said that he didn't need to build up the motor because he wasn't spraying, if he was spraying, they would advise him to build it up. Aside from the supercharger it's got a stage 2 clutch, short throw, "big injectors", headers and flowmasters, and 3:73 gears. He uses the car at shows.

What I want to know is if this would be a decent car for me to daily drive for a few years. Like, is it reliable? I've read that 400+ is just silly, but 135 more HP over stock is pretty crazy to me, especially on stock internals, but I'm sure you guys know the 4.0s better than I do. I'm mainly looking to get rid of my 2010 GT because it's a bloody automatic. Only bought it because it was a steal and I didn't think not having a third pedal would bother me so much in the long-run.

Thanks guys!
MichaelBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
JimC (a member on here) had an Xcharger on his and he ran it every weekend at the drag strip. Has well past 200k miles and still running strong.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
JimC (a member on here) had an Xcharger on his and he ran it every weekend at the drag strip. Has well past 200k miles and still running strong.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
I'd love to go through with this deal and make it to 200k, I'm just worried about blowing a head gasket in the next 20k miles, or slingling a rod in the next 50k..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is it going to be a daily driver?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
thevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevanman View Post
Is it going to be a daily driver?

yes it would be my new daily.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds too risky

Old 10-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBay View Post
yes it would be my new daily.

Honestly its not a good trade because that car is close to max hp for using it as a daily driver if you want a fast daily get a 2011 v6 and throw some bolt ons on it.
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
2005 had a lot of problems (thermostat housing, harmonic balancer, electrical, etc.)
2010 3v 4.6 most polished over the 05-09
The interior is bland compared to 2010+
The 4.0 sounds good but still not V8 sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Honestly its not a good trade because that car is close to max hp for using it as a daily driver if you want a fast daily get a 2011 v6 and throw some bolt ons on it.
He's already got a fast daily. He wants a stick.

The V6 he's been offered is fine for DD as far as keeping the motor intact. The Cologne is a strong and old motor.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
2005 had a lot of problems (thermostat housing, harmonic balancer, electrical, etc.)
2010 3v 4.6 most polished over the 05-09
The interior is bland compared to 2010+
The 4.0 sounds good but still not V8 sound

He's already got a fast daily. He wants a stick.

The V6 he's been offered is fine for DD as far as keeping the motor intact. The Cologne is a strong and old motor.

Lol thats why i recommended the 2011 v6 you can get it with a manual and its as fast as his current car but gets good mpg.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Hey y'all, I'm clearly new to the forum, though I've read countless posts on here before. I seem to find answers here when I need to so I figured I might as well register. So I'm trying to sell my 2010 (base coupe) GT w/17,000 original miles and today someone offered me an '05 V6 coupe 5 speed with 50,000 miles and 3,600 miles on an intercooled procharger kit running 6psi on stock internals. Owner says it ran a 11.87 in a 1/4 mile, that it's pushing 345rwhp and 320 lb-ft, and it has been dyno tuned. It was built by Ford Performance in Six Flags, GA. The guys at Ford Performance said that he didn't need to build up the motor because he wasn't spraying, if he was spraying, they would advise him to build it up. Aside from the supercharger it's got a stage 2 clutch, short throw, "big injectors", headers and flowmasters, and 3:73 gears. He uses the car at shows.

What I want to know is if this would be a decent car for me to daily drive for a few years. Like, is it reliable? I've read that 400+ is just silly, but 135 more HP over stock is pretty crazy to me, especially on stock internals, but I'm sure you guys know the 4.0s better than I do. I'm mainly looking to get rid of my 2010 GT because it's a bloody automatic. Only bought it because it was a steal and I didn't think not having a third pedal would bother me so much in the long-run.

Thanks guys!
What does your 2010 Gt look like?

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Its a nice looking 2005 but good lord it just reinforces how pathetic those older V6 models were when it came to performance. The dudes car is supercharged and makes but 45 more HP than my bolt on 2011 3.7 automatic. Thats horrible. No way would I trade a 2010 Gt for that 05 V6. Heck I bet a nicely bolt on 10 Gt makes as much HP and torque as that 05 supercharged car does. F that bro. Hell no.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

He wants a v6 for gas mileage purposes. I own a 4.0 of my own and I'm happy I'm not at the pump too much, but it still isn't great. Personally, I would try to find a 3.7. Those engines already give you plenty of power stock and lots of room to grow as well.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I would be hesitant as a car that modded is always going to have a higher risk of failure on costly parts. You would be better off selling your GT and looking for a daily driver that you really like instead of trading for the first thing that comes your way. One other thing to consider is if he is talking about a straight up trade he is clearly factoring in his mods which IMO with a car like that and being that it's a V6 don't add much value to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also if gas mileage is what you need, maybe save a little for a ecoboost mustang. That's what I would do, those cars are going to be a lot of fun modding.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #15

Here's my '10 GT in all of its grille-less glory! See more at my craigslist ad. <-- link

First off thanks y'all for the helpful responses. I did heavily contemplate getting a 3.7 because those motors are amazing for your money, but I can't seem to find any within range, aside from a few with crazy high mileage. This trade offer was (by a massive margin) not even close to the first I've gotten, so don't think I'm blindly jumping the gun. This is the only trade offer that has seriously interested me. And about gas mileage, I'm looking for trades from V6 muscle cars ranging to 4 door VW Golf TDIs and a Cobalt SS, so really any gas mileage improvement whatsoever is enough for me. I've still got a few days until I really decide yes or no.

I guess I might really want to jump on this '05 because before I got my '10 GT I came across a procharged '08 GT with 80k miles. I didn't get that because it had such high mileage (but it came with slicks and skinny tires up front!). I love building up cars but buying them with all the work done is something I go after just the same.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's my '10 GT in all of its grille-less glory! See more at my craigslist ad. <-- link

First off thanks y'all for the helpful responses. I did heavily contemplate getting a 3.7 because those motors are amazing for your money, but I can't seem to find any within range, aside from a few with crazy high mileage. This trade offer was (by a massive margin) not even close to the first I've gotten, so don't think I'm blindly jumping the gun. This is the only trade offer that has seriously interested me. And about gas mileage, I'm looking for trades from V6 muscle cars ranging to 4 door VW Golf TDIs and a Cobalt SS, so really any gas mileage improvement whatsoever is enough for me. I've still got a few days until I really decide yes or no.

I guess I might really want to jump on this '05 because before I got my '10 GT I came across a procharged '08 GT with 80k miles. I didn't get that because it had such high mileage (but it came with slicks and skinny tires up front!). I love building up cars but buying them with all the work done is something I go after just the same.

I have seen allot of 2011 v6's for around 16k
Old 10-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't do it, seems like a step backwards.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Besides the mechanical issues in 2005, I feel like the owner of that V6 just has no taste in aesthetic mods. Those cheap dull billet grilles that get all bent over time, that weird dual-style halo headlight, big heavy generic ghetto rims, and it looks like he's got those aftermarket rocker moldings that warp and unstick over time too.

To each his own, but I just think that car is going to have a lot of problems once its daily driven.

Edit: Just noticed the Cobra badging and "GT500" rocker stripes... Seriously?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
I wouldn't do it, seems like a step backwards.

Yeah I have to agree. The 4.0 is a good engine despite it's haters, but I wouldn't give up a 4.6 to go to a 4.0. Your '10 is pretty nice.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Yeah I have to agree. The 4.0 is a good engine despite it's haters, but I wouldn't give up a 4.6 to go to a 4.0. Your '10 is pretty nice.
I agree too. I've had both the 4.0 and 4.6. Maybe not having another pedal sucks, but don't take that V8 for granted, and I'm not talking about horsepower #'s
Old 10-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Love my 4.0, but if I were you I'd go for one of the new 3.7's
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If you think you miss having a third pedal, I think you will really miss having a third of your cylinders, especially on the 05 mustangs. 345 rwhp is the ragged edge on those. Not only are you not going to be able to make that faster, its probably not going to take a lot of miles. Id try to get an 05+ v8 manual or better yet, a new edge cobra!
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
If you think you miss having a third pedal, I think you will really miss having a third of your cylinders, especially on the 05 mustangs. 345 rwhp is the ragged edge on those. Not only are you not going to be able to make that faster, its probably not going to take a lot of miles. Id try to get an 05+ v8 manual or better yet, a new edge cobra!
A new edge cobra is not any better... Go find a 3.7l v6. These people do not understand that you want a daily driver with acceptable gas mileage in this economy.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing in worried about with power adders is the transmission. How does the 4.0 transmission hold up? I have a manual, which I would assume gets hit harder than an auto

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #25

Quote:
The only thing in worried about with power adders is the transmission. How does the 4.0 transmission hold up? I have a manual, which I would assume gets hit harder than an auto

Yeah, I'm also concerned about the transmission. From all of the replies I've been getting I've decided to hold onto my '10 GT and either find a '11+ 3.7 or just trade for something else (probably a 4.0l wrangler).
Old 10-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Unless you like either wrenching on cars every weekend, or taking cars to the shop all the time, you will hate the wrangler

Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Unless you like either wrenching on cars every weekend, or taking cars to the shop all the time, you will hate the wrangler

Most likely.

Anyway, I think you made a good decision. The 10's a nice car and the transmission is the same on the GT and V6.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang