Not Running Well - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Unhappy Not Running Well

As per my last couple of posts I have a 99 V6 Mustang with 295,196 on the odometer and after putting on a K&N 57 series CAI the car has become hard to start and when running its idling at around 750RPM and will occasionally spike to just over 1000 and go back to around 750. After about 25-30Kms after installing the new CAI the "check engine" light came on. I grabbed my code reader and the codes were P0174/P0171 lean bank error codes, I cleared them and disconnected the battery over night and that seems to have temporarily solve the issue. Earlier today the car started far easier but after a short run into town and back, and after the car had cooled down I tried to start the car it turned over really hard, like its still not getting enough fuel. The car came with a cutback exhaust already installed and had a BBK CAI previously before I swapped it for a new K&N 57 series. I have cleaned the MAF sensor (which looked perfectly fine) and have ordered a new PCV valve from my local Ford dealer and am having a new fuel filter installed this friday to hopefully solve the issue.
Have any other members had issues with these kinds of mods on older V6 Mustangs? If so how did you fix the problem. This is my wives car and I really want a reliable car for her to cruise in. It has been mentioned to me that I may require a chip or a tuner for the car to get it running normally again. I'm hoping there is a more affordable DIY solution. Can any other members lend me some advice on how to proceed?
MattMacFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
It does sound like you need a tune with that cai. Why not toss the bbk back on and see how it runs with that?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The BBK intake that came on it didn't have an airfilter. There was an old K&N one in the trunk the BBK setup had the filter inside of the fender. The K&N is an easier maintenance set up. We'll see how the dealer appointment goes and then maybe I'll get a tuner. Any suggestions on which I should go with? BAMA looks to be the most affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Bama is what I have. No complaints from me. It is going to make your car run better and give it some more ponies. It is worth it!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'll definitely consider it. $400 bucks is a lot of scratch. How did BAMA make the tunes for your car? Or did they come as a standard universal tunes?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

They have something like 26 questions that you fill out about the car and they incorporate that into the tune. Like there will be a spot to incorporate the specific cai you have into the tune.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome. I'll have to convince my wife she needs it for her car, lol.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Honestly she probably does. Running lean is not too good for a car.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's been a driveway queen for the last week. It's only seen 15kms of driving and that was today's test drive. I'm driving it to my local ford dealer to have some overdue maintenance and that's it until we get a tuner.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I think I have solved my issues with running too lean. My local ford dealer found that my passenger side exhaust manifold gasket is leaking and I have a leak in the pipe on the same side at a weld near the diff. I've come across a set of BBK headers and a BBK throttle body for a good price. With those additions and a mild tune from BAMA I should be set.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang