Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mustang NOT driving right

803 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jaytraeg 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 4.0 mustang convertible that has a manual transmission. My car has been making a whirring noise when I drive it straight, and it's coming from the back end. The noise lasts for a while but isn't always consistent. It also is kind of pulling and it feels unstable. It's been diagnosed at one place as the rear end being the issue with the differential. At another, they thought it was the rear end but after driving it thought it may be something to do with the suspension. I told a guy friend about it who hasn't driven it, and he thinks most likely it's the rear end. I had a wreck in it back in November and fish tailed and hit a semi, but minimal damage was done and only to the passenger side front. As soon as I got it back it was making that noise. I called my insurance company thinking maybe it was somehow related but it isn't. I needed new rear tires when I wrecked but since have all new Perrelli tires now. Does anyone know what this sounds like the problem could be? I just need some opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 · (Edited)
Well Leah, it could be a number of things. I happen to have the same problem on my 99' V6, and have done quite a bit of research here. Here's what I've discovered might make that noise out of the rear:
1.) Tires that are worn down un-evenly. However, if your tires are new (and balanced), then that likely isn't the case.
2.) A rear wheel bearing. This is what your axle rotates around in the wheel hub assembly. If this starts to break down, it could cause a whirring noise, as well as differential fluid leakage out of that wheel well area at higher speeds. I have a feeling (from what I know about the noise, which is limited) that this might be the case, if one of your wheels was jammed really hard on one side. However, it could also be
3.) Something with your differential/rear end. When people mention your rear end (and I mean that in the most civil way possible), they are referencing the entire differential, gears, axles, and rear wheel assemblies, so when one person says differential and the other says rear end, they are essentially talking about the same area of the car. When your car got hit (and I don't know how badly it got hit), it could have jammed something and bent something. Unfortunately, it could have been your axles, your spider gears (that are inside the differential), the ring and pinion gear (where the drive shaft meets the spider gears), or the rind and pinion gear seal.

So, on to diagnoses. My noise happens to be a ring and pinion whir, and happens whenever I step on the gas at higher speeds (usually happens the loudest between the speeds of 40-60), but goes quiet shortly after letting off of the gas and I begin to coast. Does this sound familiar, or is it a constant noise?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.