Turbo safety? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo safety?

So im debating on getting a turbo but my Mustang is my daily driver. Would getting a good built turbo be dangerous to my engine or turbo blowing at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stevenadamatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Our 4.0s are supposed to be pretty strong. I've heard of some people who ran superchargers until 200,000 with minimal problems. However, if you're gonna do forced induction, you'll probably want to beef up your drive train a bit. One piece drive shaft and an 8.8" rear end would be good. Stock drive train on our cars and forced induction isn't a great idea. But yeah, provided that you have the supporting modifications and drive train that you should get for forced induction, I would say that's it's perfectly fine to use as a daily driver.
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas22 View Post
Our 4.0s are supposed to be pretty strong. I've heard of some people who ran superchargers until 200,000 with minimal problems. However, if you're gonna do forced induction, you'll probably want to beef up your drive train a bit. One piece drive shaft and an 8.8" rear end would be good. Stock drive train on our cars and forced induction isn't a great idea. But yeah, provided that you have the supporting modifications and drive train that you should get for forced induction, I would say that's it's perfectly fine to use as a daily driver.
Thanks for the reply! I was talking to my cousin who had a fully built turbo off of a Nissan S13 i believe (idk much about rebuilding engines) but he dyno built it and was running e85 and after i think a year he ripped hard and blew his motor. He was telling me to keep my stang as a daily and get a honda or nissan to build up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Also is there somewhere I can read about turbos because im very interested. Ive had my fun with my car but im looking to trade for a manual and get some speed and torque out of it. But im clueless on engines and turbos.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenadamatis View Post
Thanks for the reply! I was talking to my cousin who had a fully built turbo off of a Nissan S13 i believe (idk much about rebuilding engines) but he dyno built it and was running e85 and after i think a year he ripped hard and blew his motor. He was telling me to keep my stang as a daily and get a honda or nissan to build up.

You can get more reliable power from your car than those rice bangers. Stated from experience.

After all is said and done, more is said than done...
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

What do you want to know about turbos?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've got a turbo stang 4.0.

Precision turbo and external waste gate and precision trial q bov is what I'll recommend.

Along with hardened input shaft better torque converter. One pice drive shaft. You'll either blow up or twist your oem shaft. My car twisted and broke the converter at 383 rwhp. Had to get 2,3 gear fixed plus a converter and hardened shaft.

Ford racing 60lb or 80lb injectors.

Better clutch ( rpmoutlet.com ) has some good convertes and clutches.

Head stud kit for sure or you'll blow a head gasket and crack the block like I did. We have a weird kit we need they don't specifically make us one.

I'm having a 4.0 engine built cause I cracked my other block. So any questions I'll try and help ya, don't want others to go through what I did.
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
You can get more reliable power from your car than those rice bangers. Stated from experience.

What do you mean? Should i just turbo my mustang then?! I just want a turbo that wont blow up on me if i rip hard. I need my car for work and if it blows im screwed. I just want overall knowledge of turbos, how they work, what to fix to make the turbo be effective and overall engine builds.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmustang10 View Post
I've got a turbo stang 4.0.

Precision turbo and external waste gate and precision trial q bov is what I'll recommend.

Along with hardened input shaft better torque converter. One pice drive shaft. You'll either blow up or twist your oem shaft. My car twisted and broke the converter at 383 rwhp. Had to get 2,3 gear fixed plus a converter and hardened shaft.

Ford racing 60lb or 80lb injectors.

Better clutch ( rpmoutlet.com ) has some good convertes and clutches.

Head stud kit for sure or you'll blow a head gasket and crack the block like I did. We have a weird kit we need they don't specifically make us one.

I'm having a 4.0 engine built cause I cracked my other block. So any questions I'll try and help ya, don't want others to go through what I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422132440.700726.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	174139
Old 01-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
What do you mean? Should i just turbo my mustang then?! I just want a turbo that wont blow up on me if i rip hard. I need my car for work and if it blows im screwed. I just want overall knowledge of turbos, how they work, what to fix to make the turbo be effective and overall engine builds.

To get decent power out of Asian turbo 4 bangers it takes a lot of boost. Your mustang will do just fine.
Lesson on turbos...
What they do is provide compressed air to your engine by using your spent exhaust gases. Unlike a supercharger it will not cost hp to run it. There's something called turbo lag what it is the turbo has to build up boost throughout the power band. The higher rpm the more the turbo spins the boost you make. So you won't get instant power like a supercharger at lower rpms but power at higher rpms.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

And basically it's nearly the same build as a supercharged build without the blower. There are something's that it will need that a supercharger doesn't. You'll need special turbo headers. Forged internals would be a good idea. One piece driveshaft. And depending on how much power you want a built trans.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo safety?

If you forward face your headers and have turbos upfront you'll get pretty instant spool. Cause our headers aren't that big you can flip them to face forward and instant spool pretty much. It's what I did.

You can use oem cause they can handle heat, just wrap them with thermal wrap.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Depending on the power you want you'll want to get an 8.8 cause you'll break the 7.5
Old 01-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

All im worried about is blowing my motor or turbo because i realy dont have the money. Looking for the safest build.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well with turbos you get more power if you want safe I'd say supercharger or pro charger.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well with turbos you get more power if you want safe I'd say supercharger or pro charger.

Now whats a pro charger? And is turbo the cheapest to get? Can i see pictures of a few users car engines? I love to learn about these things.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Pro charger is a side mount super charger.

Depended all can be an expensive build.

Personally I like x-charger cause the sound. precision turbos I personally find them most efficient.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo safety?

You can find any of these at a good price but what gets you is labor, tuning and all the other parts you'll need.

Injectors
Dive shaft
Possibly 8.8 rear
Maf slot sensor
Piping
Tuner
Spark plugs
Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo safety?

Quote:
You can find any of these at a good price but what gets you is labor, tuning and all the other parts you'll need.

Injectors
Dive shaft
Possibly 8.8 rear
Maf slot sensor
Piping
Tuner
Spark plugs

How much overall would a good estimate be for turbo, super charge, or a pro charger. Im fine with labor, i love working on cars.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much overall would a good estimate be for turbo, super charge, or a pro charger. Im fine with labor, i love working on cars.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/xcharg...it-0509v6.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/procha...e2-0510v6.html
Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man! Any other websites with good kits?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Get the powerhouse 411 kit - it is all set up and proven already. Brumby over at the Mustangcollective has been running 20lbs+ of boost on his with no problems. Buying any of the ebay "kits' is not worth it - you have to do all the fabrication and it is a junk turbo.

Going forced induction you need a good tune. With a good tune you will have many miles to go on the 4.0.

My 2006 ran a 75 shot of nitrous for 2 years. Then at 90,000 miles I pulled the nitrous kit off and installed the Xcharger (I agree, nothing like the sound of the Xcharger at WOT!). I ran that until I sold the car in June 2012 and ordered my 2013. When I sold it the car had 203,000 miles on it, still running mid 12's with a heavy convertible, with very few problems (had to replace the alternator at 170,000 miles and the thermostat housing at 199,881 miles). The new owner is still driving it and has had it the track multiple times.

And yes, replace the 7.5 with the 8.8 rear end. The 7.5 will not last long with forced induction and the added torque of a turbo.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man! Any other websites with good kits?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Get the powerhouse 411 kit - it is all set up and proven already. Brumby over at the Mustangcollective has been running 20lbs+ of boost on his with no problems. Buying any of the ebay "kits' is not worth it - you have to do all the fabrication and it is a junk turbo.

Going forced induction you need a good tune. With a good tune you will have many miles to go on the 4.0.

My 2006 ran a 75 shot of nitrous for 2 years. Then at 90,000 miles I pulled the nitrous kit off and installed the Xcharger (I agree, nothing like the sound of the Xcharger at WOT!). I ran that until I sold the car in June 2012 and ordered my 2013. When I sold it the car had 203,000 miles on it, still running mid 12's with a heavy convertible, with very few problems (had to replace the alternator at 170,000 miles and the thermostat housing at 199,881 miles). The new owner is still driving it and has had it the track multiple times.

And yes, replace the 7.5 with the 8.8 rear end. The 7.5 will not last long with forced induction and the added torque of a turbo.

Thanks man I appreciate it! I should probably invest in trading my car for a manual first though 😬

Old 01-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to bring topic back up, so you guys are saying its a waste of my time to get a Honda or Nissan to boost? Are there any reasons why you say this?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Sorry to bring topic back up, so you guys are saying its a waste of my time to get a Honda or Nissan to boost? Are there any reasons why you say this?

There's a couple mainly it will take a lot $ to make a ricer run the boost safely and two your mustang is perfectly capable for boost.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Just mainly with boost get a head stud kit or you'll blow you head gasket.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My main concern is blowing something up because i need a daily driver for work and school. And well.. right now thats my mustang. Thats why i was concidering a ricer because ive heard its a lot of labor and what not and i have the time but i need to drive it daily

Old 01-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Lots of 4.0's running boost without this. Over 100,000 miles on my 2006 and didn't need to change head studs and no gasket issues. I can't think of any of my friends who did it either.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I guess it just depends how much boost you want to run, 10+ lbs of boost is when You'd probably want to forge internals
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

I ran 12+ on my car and a friend runs 20 and has for years. Real world experience says you don't need to forge or build the 4.0. I know a lot of boosted 4.0's and all running stock engine
Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I ran 12+ on my car and a friend runs 20 and has for years. Real world experience says you don't need to forge or build the 4.0. I know a lot of boosted 4.0's and all running stock engine

Well I was on 13 pounds and I blew a head gasket was 2 miles from home and didn't want to tow it so drove it home. Cracked the block. My engine wasn't lucky to hold. I'm just speaking for myself would hate for some one else to mess up like I did.

2010 4.0 with 16,843 miles on her. Rip
Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot guys!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well I was on 13 pounds and I blew a head gasket was 2 miles from home and didn't want to tow it so drove it home. Cracked the block. My engine wasn't lucky to hold. I'm just speaking for myself would hate for some one else to mess up like I did.

2010 4.0 with 16,843 miles on her. Rip
Sorry to hear of your experience. I know how that feels (turbo on the 3.7, broke top ring land on 2 pistons on the first WOT test after tuning - tune related on that, ran lean for a very short time but enough to do the damage). Like I said in an earlier post to you OP - make sure you have a good tune when you go FI
Old 01-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Mine wasn't even WOT was driving to the store.

So this time I'm studding it, extra safe. Also having a problem with my automatic stalling while driving.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang