7.5 to 8.8 rear end upgrade in a v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
7.5 to 8.8 rear end upgrade in a v6

hey guys and gals,

I've been doing some research on this upgrade and have yet to find any detailed instructions or video's (found one but it was only 5 min and it just fast forward thru everything) on doing this and was wondering if this is something that can easily be done out of a garage with a few people. it looks like a 2011 and up with bolt right on the v6 so i'll be looking to get one of those. Any other tips or tricks you guys might know of before i decide to tackle this project would help out greatly. Thanks in advanced and have a great day!
Bong Toke Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
You get a 8.8 you'll need a pinion flange to use your driveshaft. Americanmuscle.com has them for 30$.
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

A 2011+ SHOULD have the correct pinion flange already. I have heard of one person though who supposedly got a 2012 from Roush and had to change the pinion flange.

There is a write up sticky over at mustangcollective.com that goes through the steps (including pinion flange swap if a 2005-10 rear end is used).

Pretty easy if you have a 2011+ with the correct pinion flange. Unbolt the driveshaft, take off the caliper (hold it up out of the way with wire, no need to remove it completely), unbolt the bottom of the shocks, unbolt your LCA's, unbolt the UCA and the rear end will drop out. Then you just reverse the process with your new 8.8. They are heavy so have some muscle on hand and a good tranny jack to move the rear ends out and back in.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

so i ordered one but they are still waiting for the new take off to come in and haven't shipped it yet. No worries because there is still snow on the ground and i just want to make sure it's done before the spring. if it doesn't come in this week they'll be sending me my refund which kind of bums me out. they were going to install the flange so all i had to do was bolt it in. And that brings me to this question. If i got an 8.8 rear end and had to change the flange does that mean it needs to get a new crush sleeve? also do they rent inch pound torque wrench? and what is the proper setting? so many questions and feeling this might be a job for a pro.I was really hoping it was something i could handle myself.
Bong Toke Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang