V6 Mustang or v6 Eclipse? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

V6 Mustang or v6 Eclipse?

I'm 17, almost 18 years old and I'm looking for a new car. I can't decide between a mustang ( '05-'09 ) body style, or an eclipse, with the newest body style. It can't be a V8 mustang, because I don't pull enough money in to pay for insurance. The v6 mustang, has 210hp, while the eclipse has 265hp. I currently own a 2000 eclipse, and I love it, but I can't decide between these two. The eclipse comes with a 10 in. Rockford fosgate sub and stereo, and nice seats, but with the mustang, it has so many options to be customized. I also, don't have any experience with rwd. Only front wheel drive, as that's my 2000 eclipse now, and the newer body style also. Which car should I go for..?

-Taylor
Taylor_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Being on a Mustang forum, you will get some based answers.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Being on a Mustang forum, you will get some based answers.

I realize. I'm also looking for people that can give me problems that mustangs are notorious for having. The good and bad about mustangs. If people looks at the specs of each car, they can tell me what they would recommend.

-Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd need to know a bit more before I gave you an answer. Cost, milage, auto/manual? Are you going to be moding if you get one?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mustang Evolution mobile app
seanz05shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanz05shaker View Post
I'd need to know a bit more before I gave you an answer. Cost, milage, auto/manual? Are you going to be moding if you get one?

Not looking at any specific mustangs or eclipse's. But either one would be automatic, and yes, I would be putting mods on either car, both under the hood, and outside appearance.

-Taylor
Old 02-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Mustang all the way...this seriously is my unbiased choice. You'll get a lot more respect and admiration for a mustang than an eclipse any day of the week. And also the aftermarket is much much much larger for the mustang than the eclipse. And you can't beat the look of an s197 mustang compared to an eclipse honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Mustang all the way...this seriously is my unbiased choice. You'll get a lot more respect and admiration for a mustang than an eclipse any day of the week. And also the aftermarket is much much much larger for the mustang than the eclipse. And you can't beat the look of an s197 mustang compared to an eclipse honestly.

Is rwd a lot different from front wheel drive as far as rain and snow? I'm honestly afraid I'm going to wreck it in the rain because of my dad telling me how fwd is safer because the weight of the engine is on the driving tires. Is it THAT much of a difference in rwd?

-Taylor
Old 02-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_SS View Post
Is rwd a lot different from front wheel drive as far as rain and snow? I'm honestly afraid I'm going to wreck it in the rain because of my dad telling me how fwd is safer because the weight of the engine is on the driving tires. Is it THAT much of a difference in rwd?

-Taylor
It is but you are not going to crash in rain. That is silly. You will have to be more cautious in snow though

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Have you called your insurance agent, to see what the difference in insuring either one? Your on a limited budget, get the cheaper car and years down the road, you can get a new Mustang.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
It is but you are not going to crash in rain. That is silly. You will have to be more cautious in snow though

I've also done some research, is it true that '07 mustangs don't have a rear sway bar, ABS, or Traction control?

-Taylor

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Have you called your insurance agent, to see what the difference in insuring either one? Your on a limited budget, get the cheaper car and years down the road, you can get a new Mustang.

I'll definitely have to check on that, that's a good idea.

-Taylor
Old 02-27-2015, 12:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I've also done some research, is it true that '07 mustangs don't have a rear sway bar, ABS, or Traction control?

-Taylor

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

I'll definitely have to check on that, that's a good idea.

-Taylor
Who is telling you this? Abs is pretty standard on cars my 05 premium has tcs and not sure about the sway bar. It isn't really needed for the v6 in stock form so I don't think it has one

Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who is telling you this? Abs is pretty standard on cars my 05 premium has tcs and not sure about the sway bar. It isn't really needed for the v6 in stock form so I don't think it has one

I thought the same thing. " why wouldn't a fairly recent car NOT have ABS or TC? " but as soon as I google it, there have been many sites that suggested it didn't come with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425019023.193920.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	176266

-Taylor
Old 02-27-2015, 12:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I thought the same thing. " why wouldn't a fairly recent car NOT have ABS or TC? " but as soon as I google it, there have been many sites that suggested it didn't come with it. Attachment 176266

-Taylor
I will say that my base 07 v6 didn't have a tcs button. But alas a mustang will be no problem in rain without tcs anyways as I have driven in many rain storms with bald tires

Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will say that my base 07 v6 didn't have a tcs button. But alas a mustang will be no problem in rain without tcs anyways as I have driven in many rain storms with bald tires

I know that I will be careful, I've just had both my 2 accidents in the rain in my fwd eclipse, and that's what makes me skeptical. I'm thinking, " if it's this easy to hydroplane in a fwd, imagine a rwd car! " I'm also 17 & not the brightest kid, and love to show off when it comes to cars ( which I have a feeling a lot of mustang owners love to do, because cmon... It's a mustang )

-Taylor
Old 02-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I know that I will be careful, I've just had both my 2 accidents in the rain in my fwd eclipse, and that's what makes me skeptical. I'm thinking, " if it's this easy to hydroplane in a fwd, imagine a rwd car! " I'm also 17 & not the brightest kid, and love to show off when it comes to cars ( which I have a feeling a lot of mustang owners love to do, because cmon... It's a mustang )

-Taylor
Hydroplanning isn't really a big deal to be honest just let off gas until you make contact with pavement. A Toyota coralla will hydroplane if it's tires aren't adequate.

But if you have had two,accidents And like to show off as you say why not buy a safe commuter car?

Old 02-27-2015, 12:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hydroplanning isn't really a big deal to be honest just let off gas until you make contact with pavement. A Toyota coralla will hydroplane if it's tires aren't adequate.

But if you have had two,accidents And like to show off as you say why not buy a safe commuter car?

I mean, I know I could probably handle either car, mine or a mustang, if I just take it slow. I've always loved mustangs, so I'd figure putting sandbags in the back would maybe weigh the back down. I'm just probably overthinking a lot of this, but just taking caution.

-Taylor
Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Rain makes road surfaces more dangerous, snow even more. You just have to watch what you're doing
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It does not really matter weather FWD or RWD

Hydroplaning is not caused by much of anything except what tires are on the car weather it is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.
Whatever you get you need to put on some good tires.

To answer your question.
If you want a car to just drive around and have transportation the Eclipse is just fine.
If your looking for a car to love and enjoy a lot more it is the Mustang you would be happier with. A Mustang is a Mustang, Anything else is just transportation.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If I had to choose between an 05-09 v6 mustang or a 4th Gen eclipse with the 3.8 mivec, I would choose the Eclipse every time. It's a nicer car with a much, much better engine.

For those fwd haters, an 05-09 v6 mustang is so pathetic that there are generally new threads popping up asking how to do a burnout or a donut because these cars can't break traction. The eclipse might be wrong wheel drive but it can at least smoke the tires through the first two gears and should also trap around 100 mph in the 1320. That's as good or better than a 2v 4.6 will usually manage.

My advice would be to drive both and then make a decision. That mustang will in all likelihood be slower than your already slow 3rd gen with the added bonus of having most likely a worse interior.

The 4th gen eclipse doesn't get the respect it deserves since the Evo ... eclipsed it. Imo, it's likely the better car of the two.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Imagine that?!! Lsh didn't choose the mustang or praise the mustang or anything whatsoever. Seriously dude you're the biggest troll on here.....eclipses are terrible. I've raced a few at the track and it's been a bus length or more every time

Old 02-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'll throw out that Ford's will be easy to get parts for...the Mitsubishi sales in the US have pretty much stopped (something to consider)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Imagine that?!! Lsh didn't choose the mustang or praise the mustang or anything whatsoever. Seriously dude you're the biggest troll on here.....eclipses are terrible. I've raced a few at the track and it's been a bus length or more every time

If being honest is trolling then sure, I am one...

As far as praising the mustang ... why? It's the boat anchor v6. We're it the gt or 3.7 then then no, I wouldn't recommend the eclipse.

Edit -

Strange mud does have a point. Mitsubishi may be pulling out from the US market as their sales have tanked. I don't think parts will be a problem but lack of dealerships and distribution is certainly something to consider.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
If being honest is trolling then sure, I am one...

As far as praising the mustang ... why? It's the boat anchor v6. We're it the gt or 3.7 then then no, I wouldn't recommend the eclipse.

It could be the damn 5.8 trinity and you'd still find a way to bash the mustang. I know the 4.0 sucks but literally man you've never posted a positive thing about the mustang on here that I've seen yet

Old 02-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
This is true, that V6 in the 05-10 mustang is terrible. I drove a friends 06 V6 convertible, yikes. Ford really, really screwed over people during that gen. (Granted I was use to my Coyote, but c'mon.)

I haven't driven an eclipse, so I can't comment on those.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Save up and get anything BUT a 4.0 haha...

I can confirm the base model 4.0's did NOT get a rear sway bar (Pony Package did come with one though).
Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
No you can't really compare a 4.0 to a gt or to a 5.0 but the 4.0 is by no means a boat. With the right mods it will run in the mid 14s not to shabby for a boat of a 4.0..Compare that with the time of some of the muscle cars of the 60-70-80s as you'll see lot of them run in the 14s also .............. 09 v6 bbk cai,bama tuned ,s/d coil taylor thunder volt 8.2 wires .strut tower brace .koni str struts kyb shocks,gt front and rear sways bars.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #27
Road Trip!

I've got a 06 4.0. Unknown what all is done to it. I have a throttle body and spacer jlt intake. Compared to the 2003 v6 I had this 4.0 hauls ***. I think you should get the mustang. I don't like eclipse
:p

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
NcmustangboyIw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd go mustang. Not only because I'm mustang fan, but because I think you would have more choices in mods. But either way you'll have a fun car.

seanz05shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #29
Road Trip!

+1 ^

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
NcmustangboyIw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Go back and read what he is asking ----------

He did say>
Quote:
I'm 17, almost 18 years old and I'm looking for a new car. I can't decide between a mustang ( '05-'09 ) body style, or an eclipse, with the newest body style. It can't be a V8 mustang, because I don't pull enough money in to pay for insurance.
Apparently he is on a tight budget. He needs to get what he can afford to buy, He also is thinking of insurance and probably maintenance.

I'm thinking he will have way more fun owning a Mustang then a boring ,ugly Eclipse even if some of you think the Eclipse is faster. Who cares about that when your on a tight budget and are young enough to enjoy your car. Not everybody races or does a burnout at every stoplight. He can drive the V6 older Mustang until he gets to making more $$$$ and trade up someday. It will still be worth more then the Eclipse in two or three years unless he screws it up.

He can mod the Mustang to look like he wants it to look and as far as being fast, It will be fast enough and good looking enough to go pick up a girl without being laughed at by driving an old ladies car.

You can never ever go wrong having a Mustang.
Of course I'm a Mustang fan and love them all. 4 Cyl. -V6, V8, A straight 6, Manual or automatic it does not matter as long as it's a Mustang. Coupe or Vert.

Being an American Icon for fifty years must account for something.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

My stock 07 v6 could do burnouts really easy actually. People just don't get how to do a brake stand

Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I think both cars are fine for him. The V6 less power is the way to go after all he did say two accidents. Get good tires and be safe what ever you decide to do.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That eclipse is faster and will prolly get better mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have had a 2000 eclipse GT, 2011 Mustang GT, and a 2013 Mustang V6. Mustang > EclipseClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425079850.669211.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	176294Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425079923.157971.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	176295Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425079935.792648.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	176296

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
I have had a 2000 eclipse GT, 2011 Mustang GT, and a 2013 Mustang V6. Mustang > Eclipse!

That's kind of apples to oranges to what the op is looking at as he is considering a pre 2011 mustang v6 and a fourth generation eclipse not a third generation.

In all reality if you put bias aside the eclipse he is looking at is faster and gets better mpg then the mustang he is considering. Now if he wants a mustang then by all means get one. But going off performance for me it would be no contest.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Tags
v6 mustang