2006 V6 convertible water woes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Region: Canada
2006 V6 convertible water woes

I have been battling with Ford since I bought my car brand new almost 9 years ago.

More recently in the last 5 years, there has been constant water accumulation and subsequent sloshing in the rear passenger side quarter. After many letters, phone calls and meetings with a Ford dealership, a dealership finally agreed to take a look at it. My warranty had expired but I had constantly brought it in for water leaks while under warranty.

I was told the car was basically pulled apart in an attempt to find where the leak was happening--but nothing was found. I was told not to park outside when there was rain or trees around that could shed leaves (how ridiculous is that?). I left feeling unsatisfied and helpless.

I just noticed when I washed my car recently that there are 2 perfectly drilled holes in the outside of my rear passenger quarter panel. The touch-up paint and glue like filler had come away from the vehicle. I was completely shocked to find this. I have a feeling these holes were drilled in order to drain the water due to a faulty design.

From reading other posts and complaints about this issue, I have seen this mitigation strategy mentioned (but never heard of drilling holes on the outside!!).

I called Ford to confront them about the drilled holes (without disclosing it to me) and they immediately denied any responsibility. I am at a total loss with my car and my customer experience.

I feel like this is a design flaw that Ford is fully aware of, and that is the reason they have made it so difficult for me to get any kind of resolution. It is almost like they will make it so hard that I will throw my arms up and walk away. After googling the issue, it definitely seems to be running rampant. I've even noticed that Ford Customer Care reps chime in on some of the threads.

I am going to look into laws that protect customers from these types of situations or to see if there has been a class action law suit from owners experiencing this same issue.

I'd like to know if there are any others out there who have experienced similar issues and if you have had any resolution with Ford.

Hil_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
I haven't had any major issues with mine. The only time I get an water leaking into my car is during a high power car wash. It only leaks a little bit of water through the passenger side near the seal, it really doesn't seem that bad. The only other leak it between the windows where the door closes, not on the top but the side. Which isn't bad either, just a few drops. During normal rain and storms I don't have any leaks. I don't mean to sound rude but it is a convertible, leaks are always going to be expected versus a hard top.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

JokerS197 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Region: Canada
I think 'leak' might be a misnomer in this situation--water is collecting and sloshing around in the area. There isn't any water inside the car.

From preliminary research online, this problem is widespread. It also doesn't look like the problem is limited to convertibles. I noticed a thread on this site for a newer model:
2014 V6 rear water sloshing

The accumulation is significant (it sounds like someone is rolling a giant water cooler bottle around back there).

I can only imagine the rust and damage it is causing.
Hil_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
2006 V6 convertible water woes

I had that issue and I just put the top down and sucked the water out with a shopvac. Once I got the water out I was able to clean the gutters so to speak.
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Region: Indiana
I do have some minor leaking around the window seals when I power wash my vehicle; however, when it is raining outside there seems to be no leaking.
dtreida11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang