Uneven tire wear/front end creaking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:57 AM   #1

Region: California
Uneven tire wear/front end creaking

Hey everyone, I am having some issues with my 09 mustang.

I bought it back in 11. It came with 18" wheels 215 45 18, the regular tires are 215 65 16.
I am having uneven wear specifically on my front tires, but I rotate my tires routinely so the back are somewhat uneven as well. There is cupping, and feathering.

I have had severe road noise at 20 mph and 45 mps with vibration and rattling and going at a constant speed it sounds like a washing/drying machine.

Recently I have developed a creaking when releasing my break. not a squeak and is not re-producible when pushing down on the front. It seems to get worse when warm out, and not very noisy when its cold and I just started driving. It doesn't happen if I hit the breaks and maintain pressure. It does happen when I am slowing down and almost stopped I slowly let up on the break it causes the creaking. The creaking happens when parked as well.

My breaks are fine 5 in the front, 8 in the back.

I need new tires and I understand that, but I want to get to the cause of the uneven tread wear.

Big O says new shocks and new tires, even though the wheels are the wrong size.

Wheel works says new 16 inch wheels and 16 inch tires will help with a lot of the noise, then I can deal with the creaking...

I researched this problem online and I feel like these signs and symptoms are indicative of a control arm issue? But no one is saying that, everyone just wants to throw new tires on my ride.

Maybe you have had this problem? heard of this problem? Will putting 16s on my ride improve it a lot and stop the uneven wear?

Thank you for your time in reading my post!
09rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
With the uneven tire wear it sound like your front end is out of alignment which could be caused by bad front lower control arms/ball joints with the shaking your talking about sounds like control arms to me .Any good tire place or garage should be able to check it out for ya
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yeah the front control arm bushings are kindve a common issue on the S197s I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
mine i just replaced at 50000 miles
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I've got a squeak when I go over bumps with the wheel turned. Probably gona have to do mine soon

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses. I went to a friends garage and they couldn't hear the squeaking/creaking. Recommended new tires and shocks/struts.

here are some vids I threw on youtube...
engine on, e-brake on, slight down hill.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUs...eBwr_kw/videos

let me know if you still think its control arms.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Do you hear an rattling when you go over some big bumps? I was hearing some rattling when I went over big bumps. I took it in and had to have some of the control arm parts replaced. It did cost to much to have it repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #8

Hey! thanks for the response.

I have soo many types of rattling on my ride. When I am going 20 mph and 40 there is a terrible rattle/rumble. I think that is from my car being hit multiple times. I don't know how people can miss seeing a parked red mustang.... And there is a whirl sound like a washing machine or dryer when I am on the freeway, I have been told that is from having the wrong tires and wrong wheels on it. haha

let me know if these are close to the rattles you are talking about.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Hmm I can't hear anything on the brakes. The creaking sound is your LCA's. Buy the Ford Racing ones, not the garbage SR Performance ones.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rider View Post
Hey! thanks for the response.

I have soo many types of rattling on my ride. When I am going 20 mph and 40 there is a terrible rattle/rumble. I think that is from my car being hit multiple times. I don't know how people can miss seeing a parked red mustang.... And there is a whirl sound like a washing machine or dryer when I am on the freeway, I have been told that is from having the wrong tires and wrong wheels on it. haha

let me know if these are close to the rattles you are talking about.

Yeah that would most likely just be the controller arm system. When I had mine looked at, the bottle holding the control arm was stripped down. I wouldn't say it's your suspension, I wouldn't necessarily make that sound.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #11

Thanks! I'm, kinda thinking its the breaks. I did some researching and I think something needs to be lubed on them. The creaking only happens when the break pedal is being depressed and released. I've turned my wheels back and forth repeatedly on multiple locations and haven't heard anything. Ill probably take it back into a shop to see what they can do.

Is it possible no one wants to mess with the control arms on my ride?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang