Plastidip? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Plastidip?

I thought i posted this but guess it didnt go through. Anyway, tomorrow I plan on Plastidipping my wheels a gloss black and need help finding a good brand, also how many coats are needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stevenadamatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
This may not be popular but , hey I'm an advocate of doing things right on your Mustang.
Plasti dip most of the time will end up looking like just what it is....cheap rattle can backyard paint job. It comes out in splotches and globs. It ends up looking bad. Like you took a spray can and got er done. It may look nice in pics and videos, especially when Fonzi does it, but for the rest of the world, not so much.
Consider biting the bullet and having your wheels powder coated gloss black by professionals or buying a set of nice black wheels. It's worth it.
People will give you car a second look no matter how old it is, if it's done right.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Plastidip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
This may not be popular but , hey I'm an advocate of doing things right on your Mustang.
Plasti dip most of the time will end up looking like just what it is....cheap rattle can backyard paint job. It comes out in splotches and globs. It ends up looking bad. Like you took a spray can and got er done. It may look nice in pics and videos, especially when Fonzi does it, but for the rest of the world, not so much.
Consider biting the bullet and having your wheels powder coated gloss black by professionals or buying a set of nice black wheels. It's worth it.
People will give you car a second look no matter how old it is, if it's done right.

I really wish I could afford new wheels. Currently in need of tireds and just bought a lot of other mods and honestly just want the spokes black, not the whole rim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenadamatis View Post
I thought i posted this but guess it didnt go through. Anyway, tomorrow I plan on Plastidipping my wheels a gloss black and need help finding a good brand, also how many coats are needed?

I've done it on a couple of my older cars, it can look decent if done right. I would never do it on my 13 gt... But I did it on my $1000 focus lol Google it, there are videos made that show the proper technique. I did one very very light coat followed by two medium coats then a heavy wet coat. If you are doing a gloss black then I'm assuming your using glossifier. That's a little harder to use compared to the plasti dip. Again, they came out with videos showing the proper ways to do it, so do some research before you start just spraying. Also you can use a deck of cars between your wheel and tire for easier clean up.
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9stang View Post
I've done it on a couple of my older cars, it can look decent if done right. I would never do it on my 13 gt... But I did it on my $1000 focus lol Google it, there are videos made that show the proper technique. I did one very very light coat followed by two medium coats then a heavy wet coat. If you are doing a gloss black then I'm assuming your using glossifier. That's a little harder to use compared to the plasti dip. Again, they came out with videos showing the proper ways to do it, so do some research before you start just spraying. Also you can use a deck of cars between your wheel and tire for easier clean up.

Alright I will man, thanks! Again, if it comes out bad ill rip it off!

Old 05-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430713665.209455.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	181760 I just used regular plastidip from home depot and they came out very good. I put on 6 coats which was about two cans. It was just the flat plastidip but if you are looking for a more glossier finish than you can go into your local automotive store and get a few cans, Or you can order from dipmycar.com

jordan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan16 View Post
Attachment 181760 I just used regular plastidip from home depot and they came out very good. I put on 6 coats which was about two cans. It was just the flat plastidip but if you are looking for a more glossier finish than you can go into your local automotive store and get a few cans, Or you can order from dipmycar.com

Did you use a glossifier as well on those?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I did mine.. it looked good at first then several weeks later (depending on weather in your area) it started to look faded and started peeling and look like ****. id go to auto zone or something they sell rim paint .you'll want glossfier and some sanding paper. clean sand and paint and you have something that'll look and last alot better. all around same price as plasti dip
6SHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SHOOTR View Post
I did mine.. it looked good at first then several weeks later (depending on weather in your area) it started to look faded and started peeling and look like ****. id go to auto zone or something they sell rim paint .you'll want glossfier and some sanding paper. clean sand and paint and you have something that'll look and last alot better. all around same price as plasti dip

The thing is I have no experience with painting rims. Thats why I want plasti dip because if I mess up, I can rip it off. Maybe eventually I'll actually paint them but for right now I want to experiment.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430753800.871511.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	181799

I've got mine plasti dipped, just for now until I have money to powder coat them.
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
No, I just used the flat but because of the texture of the wheels it makes it look a little glossy. I have had my wheels dipped for almost 2 months now and they have not chipped and still look great. You can always dip them and if you don't like them then peel it off. That is the beauty of plastidip.

jordan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430769137.697566.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	181806 this is what mine looked like

smazen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I bought performix from walmart

smazen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Plastidip?

Just make sure you take care of them every once in awhile if you dip them, if you rush it or don't take care of them then yes they will look like you used cheap spray paint

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1431003980.715524.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	182071  
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1431004052.048718.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	182072

NickC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang