08 v6 trade for a 05 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #1

08 v6 trade for a 05 gt

Been thinking of trading in my 08 4.0 for a 05 gt... Is this considered a down grade?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Nope,
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

So it's a upgrade?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It depends on a lot of things. Was the car well maintained and how is the mileage compared to your current car? Is your current V6 an automatic or standard? Is the GT an automatic or standard? I'm sure that the 08 is probably a little more refined than the 05 as well.. things like side airbags aren't standard on 06's and below if I am correct.

I owned an automatic 2007 V6 for three years before trading it in for a 5-speed 2008 GT this past October. While the cars share the same chassis, they couldn't be more different from each other. The V6 was more of a sporty kind of car; the V6 was a lighter engine and made a lot of low end torque. You could throw the car around corners and it felt nimble for being such a big car. You currently own one so you would know but man when I got the GT, it was such a different beast. The V8 is a big engine and the car feels a lot heavier. Also, the turning radius is very bad and wide on the GT for some reason, I find myself making three point turns a lot whereas the V6 could make very tight U-turns. The stock suspension on the GT is a lot softer and it felt like I was riding on a cloud at first when compared to the V6, which, ironically, got annoying because I liked to feel everything on the road.

It seems that my 2007 V6 was the most reliable car I have ever driven. You could push it hard and it would always perform well and you didn't have to do any crazy maintenance on it besides the basics. My plastic thermostat housing went bad a couple of times but that's about it. Now, the GT is very reliable too but it seems like you have to baby it just a little more. I always let it warm up to temp and don't start it up when I don't have to. The starter doesn't even start it up 100% of the time on a first try, that is normal for the V8. The GT is VERY sensitive to a bad alternator. If a diode on the alternator goes bad, although the alternator itself still charges fine, it will send too much AC current to your camshaft positioning sensors, which will in turn cause a bad misfiring problem. Also, being that my GT was a manual and had 105,000 miles when I got it, I had to buy a new clutch but that might not pertain to you. Since I do live in Florida, the new exedy clutch I have still slips badly sometimes in the hot weather, even with the extra surface area and the lightweight exedy flywheel I have. The 4.6 V8 engine has no problem keeping itself cool but it still gives off a ton more heat than the 4.0 V6 and I find that it heats the clutch up too much in slow traffic sometimes. I was so surprised by the heat when I first got the GT that I bought some hood vents and cut into my hood to install them. I don't really know where I'm going with all of this ha ha...

The GT feels like an actual muscle car with some weight on it but a nice big V8 wheras you will find that your V6 feels more nimble and light. You might even find yourself missing your V6 sometimes but I tell you that nothing compares to that V8 roar and also I feel that the V8 has more character to it. It cruises nicely at 2k to 3K RPM but man when you hit 4K to 5K...the car pushes you back in your seat and things get scary. I don't even go full WOT often, I just cruise along in 5th gear. You get pretty good gas mileage for a V8, but then I think the gearing might be a little shorter on an 05 GT if I'm correct
2008 Windveil Blue Manual GT. BAMA 91 Performance Tune. LED Starter Button, Retro Shift Knob, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Ebay CAI LOL, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Rear Spoiler, Raxiom Gen5 Taillights, LED Third Brake light, MMD Hood Louvers, MRT Rear window louvers, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, SR Performance Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line, Dot 5.1 brake fluid ftw, JLT Oil Separator, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace, Triton V3 Switchback turnsignals... etc etc
SangheiliSpecOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SangheiliSpecOp View Post
It depends on a lot of things. Was the car well maintained and how is the mileage compared to your current car? Is your current V6 an automatic or standard? Is the GT an automatic or standard? I'm sure that the 08 is probably a little more refined than the 05 as well.. things like side airbags aren't standard on 06's and below if I am correct.

I owned an automatic 2007 V6 for three years before trading it in for a 5-speed 2008 GT this past October. While the cars share the same chassis, they couldn't be more different from each other. The V6 was more of a sporty kind of car; the V6 was a lighter engine and made a lot of low end torque. You could throw the car around corners and it felt nimble for being such a big car. You currently own one so you would know but man when I got the GT, it was such a different beast. The V8 is a big engine and the car feels a lot heavier. Also, the turning radius is very bad and wide on the GT for some reason, I find myself making three point turns a lot whereas the V6 could make very tight U-turns. The stock suspension on the GT is a lot softer and it felt like I was riding on a cloud at first when compared to the V6, which, ironically, got annoying because I liked to feel everything on the road.

It seems that my 2007 V6 was the most reliable car I have ever driven. You could push it hard and it would always perform well and you didn't have to do any crazy maintenance on it besides the basics. My plastic thermostat housing went bad a couple of times but that's about it. Now, the GT is very reliable too but it seems like you have to baby it just a little more. I always let it warm up to temp and don't start it up when I don't have to. The starter doesn't even start it up 100% of the time on a first try, that is normal for the V8. The GT is VERY sensitive to a bad alternator. If a diode on the alternator goes bad, although the alternator itself still charges fine, it will send too much AC current to your camshaft positioning sensors, which will in turn cause a bad misfiring problem. Also, being that my GT was a manual and had 105,000 miles when I got it, I had to buy a new clutch but that might not pertain to you. Since I do live in Florida, the new exedy clutch I have still slips badly sometimes in the hot weather, even with the extra surface area and the lightweight exedy flywheel I have. The 4.6 V8 engine has no problem keeping itself cool but it still gives off a ton more heat than the 4.0 V6 and I find that it heats the clutch up too much in slow traffic sometimes. I was so surprised by the heat when I first got the GT that I bought some hood vents and cut into my hood to install them. I don't really know where I'm going with all of this ha ha...

The GT feels like an actual muscle car with some weight on it but a nice big V8 wheras you will find that your V6 feels more nimble and light. You might even find yourself missing your V6 sometimes but I tell you that nothing compares to that V8 roar and also I feel that the V8 has more character to it. It cruises nicely at 2k to 3K RPM but man when you hit 4K to 5K...the car pushes you back in your seat and things get scary. I don't even go full WOT often, I just cruise along in 5th gear. You get pretty good gas mileage for a V8, but then I think the gearing might be a little shorter on an 05 GT if I'm correct

The wide turning radius is probably due to the bigger wheels on the GT compared to the small wheels that come on the V6

08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #6

Well my car has 80k mile and the 05 has 99k so not bad at all.. I think I'm gonna go for it...

Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Sounds like your GT needs a good set of shocks....

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

My v6 never felt more nimble than my gt. But it was also a convertible
Old 05-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Sounds like your GT needs a good set of shocks....
Maybe... I'l get to the suspension later on. I did the exterior looks, exhaust, clutch, LED lighting, and next I have to do the audio, maybe a tune, and maybe I'll lower it with some SR springs and some eibachs or konis. The car drives fine though, I'm used to it. Lne thing that is annoying is the squeaking sound when I am braking or accelerating. It happens a lot when I am engaging the clutch, so it's something that is rotational, but I don't know what. I put in a new slave cylinder and pilot bearing so I don't know what it is. Maybe the driveshaft or something...
2008 Windveil Blue Manual GT. BAMA 91 Performance Tune. LED Starter Button, Retro Shift Knob, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Ebay CAI LOL, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Rear Spoiler, Raxiom Gen5 Taillights, LED Third Brake light, MMD Hood Louvers, MRT Rear window louvers, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, SR Performance Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line, Dot 5.1 brake fluid ftw, JLT Oil Separator, SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace, Triton V3 Switchback turnsignals... etc etc
Old 05-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
My v6 never felt more nimble than my gt. But it was also a convertible
Interesting. The convertables aren't as stiff as the coupes but I don't think it would be that bad, although i've never driven a convertable S197. Maybe it was the tires I had on the V6 and the fact that it was automatic, it was more "get up and go" than my GT. I'm not that slow of a shifter though don't laugh...
Old 05-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
The wide turning radius is probably due to the bigger wheels on the GT compared to the small wheels that come on the V6

You may be right, but I know that my GT has 18s and my V6 had 17s. I think it has more to do with the steering mechanism but I'm not sure. I've learned to love with it though. I still piss off drivers when I block a two lane road to make a U-turn, and I almost get into accidents fairly occasionally because people assume that my Mustang has the turning radius of a normal car and not a truck, but I'm used to it now.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You may be right, but I know that my GT has 18s and my V6 had 17s. I think it has more to do with the steering mechanism but I'm not sure. I've learned to love with it though. I still piss off drivers when I block a two lane road to make a U-turn, and I almost get into accidents fairly occasionally because people assume that my Mustang has the turning radius of a normal car and not a truck, but I'm used to it now.
Sounds like something is wrong there...I've been rocking my s197 since 2006 and it turns on a dime.

Tuned by AED
Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lateral move I would think from a value standpoint... but its a GT!!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If you're having trouble getting around tight turns just turn the wheel all the way and give it some gas and she'll come right on around 😎 haha

08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
If you're having trouble getting around tight turns just turn the wheel all the way and give it some gas and she'll come right on around 😎 haha

You peeked...

Tuned by AED
Old 05-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
You peeked...

Lol.

I'm not a huge fan of the 05 reliability seemed fair. A lot of electrical bugs. Whatever you do, don't buy SR it's garbage. Ford Racing, and Steeda would be my top two picks. Both of which can be found on AM or elsewhere.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Lol.

I'm not a huge fan of the 05 reliability seemed fair. A lot of electrical bugs. Whatever you do, don't buy SR it's garbage. Ford Racing, and Steeda would be my top two picks. Both of which can be found on AM or elsewhere.
Getting close to 90k on mine and still no electrical issues minus the oil pressure
Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you want honest feedback you need to provide more information. Sure it's a performance upgrade but that's common sense. Is it a straight up trade or are you getting or paying cash? Options? Condition? Etc.? All would play a factor for me. In terms of value there probable similar with all things being equal such as mileage, options, and condition.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #19

Well as far as price I found a few that would pretty much be a straight up trade and others maybe a couple grand out of my pocket.. Im pretty much looking at the mileage and condition (interior/exterior)...

Old 05-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #20

What would u consider to many miles? Mine has 80k original owner.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Most 05 owners I've talked to say they've had little to no issues with their cars. Which it does depend on driving habits.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Mine was a babied car and we'll mantained so I'm sure that help
Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Bite the bullet, delay gratification and trade the right way....UP. Work, steal, save and work some more while putting more miles on your 08 and get a 2011+ GT.
Skip the middle man...the 05 GT. For I Schitt you not, the week after you have it, your next target will be....a Coyote.
Don't waste thousands in the mean time with this trade. Every car trade results in lost money.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Bite the bullet, delay gratification and trade the right way....UP. Work, steal, save and work some more while putting more miles on your 08 and get a 2011+ GT.
Skip the middle man...the 05 GT. For I Schitt you not, the week after you have it, your next target will be....a Coyote.
Don't waste thousands in the mean time with this trade. Every car trade results in lost money.
You have a good point....I spent a truck load of money to make not much more HP than a stock coyote with a blower on it.

Tuned by AED
Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #25

Not interested in another car payment.. With the 4.6 I think it's a great base to build

Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

How far down into California are you?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #27

Southern cal.. Orange County

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang