Is my car totaled?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:17 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
Is my car totaled??

I got into a wreck yesterday, I was on a bad road on my way home and I hydroplaned having 2 options, hit the ditch and risk messing up my car more or just hit the girl in front of me. I came over a hill and there's a neighborhood on the left side of the two lane road, as I came over the hil, she was stopped waiting for oncoming traffic to stop so she could pull into the neighborhood. I was also driving with my hazards on because we were in the middle of a torrential downpour. I literally couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. the car still runs and drives just fine, the only damage I can see is the hood, bumper and front fender. The airbag deployed but I was told that I can replace it. I just got this car a couple week ago, I haven't even made a payment on it yet.

Please give me your opinions 😔

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432876612.251631.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	183624
holliekotrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I wouldn't say its totaled but how fast were you going?

Black 2008 GT "If it ain't hooking, it ain't booking"
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Rule of thumb on an insurance claim like that is will the repairs cost 80%or more of what the car is worth? If that's the case, they usually total it. They do this because there is always some bit of unknown even after an estimate. The tech fixing your car may find more damage half way into the repairs and the insurance company has to either pony up more cash or maybe even decide to total it at that point. So it is usually cheaper for them to just pay you out what the car is worth and move on.

All that said, I imagine airbag, hood bumper plus all the inner structure parts and labor along with paint... Your probably looking at 5-6 grand. Maybe more. Hard to tell with just that one picture. But let's say it's 6k, well if the car cost you 7500 and that's what they say it's worth, they will probably total it. Make sense?

Good luck. Sorry to see and hear you are without your new ride. Keep us up to date.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Visibly it may only be hood, fender, bumper, grill. However when you dig into it, it looks like the passengers headlight... perhaps the headlight bracket, both sides... the foam and maybe crash bar behind the bumper, new steeringwheel, air bags, passenger airbag cover if it went off

Depending what year it is, miles, value... the fact that the airbags deployed unless it's a low mile 09 I'd be prepared for them to total it out.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

This car only has 68k miles on it. I was only going like 20mph, like I said it was a torrential downpour, I could see much of anything. Insurance said that it was weather related.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Doesn't appear to be totaled to me...but that's something the shop will have to clarify

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

The only thing is is that the airbag deployed.. That's the only thing I'm worried about.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I don't think it's totaled. Your fenders and headlights still look fine. Most likely just your bumper, crash bar, hood, and then re pack the air bag and get a new steering wheel cover.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
internet guess is doubtful.

sorry about it and assume (hope) you are OK.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

Region: Illinois
I've "nearly totaled" two cars in my life. My heart fell out when my 53k miles 2002 GT was t-boned this spring and the insurance company called me and said, "Hi, this is State Farm's totaling department (or something horrible like that) on a Friday afternoon and didn't get back to me until Monday." I was just sick all weekend. When I talked to them, they had estimated for a base model Mustang, which it is not. Same thing happened with my 2000 Solara, back in '02.

This is VERY important!!!!... Make sure that they know any upgrades or aftermarket improvements to your vehicle. Do you have the awesome upgraded stereo system (no need to share the the 6-cd changer only EATS cds). Have you upgraded your exhaust system (or did it come with an upgraded system)? The low mileage is also very important for them to notate. Estimators working for insurance companies routinely underestimate the value of your car. You have to be on top of this! Sometimes it takes some hoops.

So very sad for you, but good chance that everything will be fine. Just stay on top of the situation and don't get bullied into accepting something with which you don't agree. Good luck. Hope this helps. It took a month to get my car back, but Gerber Collision did a GREAT job. I just wish the other side had been t-boned...the side with the ding already in it. (#mustangsarenotmeantforgroceryshopping). Good luck. I wonder who the patron saint of Mustangs is? Anyone? I'll say a prayer for you.
MustangStephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If it is totaled, consider buying it back. My daughter totaled her 98 GT and was about 5k worth of damage and insurance totaled it. I bought it back for $250 and spent the insurance money rebuilding it back on my own and upgraded on the way.

Since it drives, take it to a shop as they do free estimates. They can give you the estimate and they can give a better opinion on if totaled.
ch0wd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #12

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I don't think it's totaled. Your fenders and headlights still look fine. Most likely just your bumper, crash bar, hood, and then re pack the air bag and get a new steering wheel cover.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
They don't repack an airbag and replace the cover. The airbag is replaced with a new one.
hobojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
first off, sorry about your car,

second off, i don't know about where you live, but it is illegal to drive with hazards on.... hazard lights on certain vehicles, like your mustang, will actually cancel out the brake lights so the hazards will work.. so no one actually knows you are hitting your brakes unless they can see your third brake light..

Also third, your car doesn't look that bad. as long as your frame is straight, everything else can be replaced.

I'm hoping everyone is/was okay during the accident.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433096142.935541.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	183832
This was my v6 after an accident. It all depends if the damages on the car add up to more than the car is worth. Mine have damage under the car as well as exterior damage.

kkraut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

It was totaled

kkraut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #16

Region: Florida
Is my car totaled??

I have the same year mustang and got into a similar accident last year with the hood bumper grill headlights and radiator reservoir totaled but it wasn't considered a total loss so i would think your good. Also the only way a car is really considered a total loss is if the firewall gets damaged

yd969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #17

Region: Ohio
I'd say your fine, I did more damage than that on a $2500 honda and they still paid $2000 to fix it lol. Gotta be careful in nasty weather with a mustang. they LOVE to go out of control
Evilwalker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliekotrous View Post
I got into a wreck yesterday, I was on a bad road on my way home and I hydroplaned having 2 options, hit the ditch and risk messing up my car more or just hit the girl in front of me. I came over a hill and there's a neighborhood on the left side of the two lane road, as I came over the hil, she was stopped waiting for oncoming traffic to stop so she could pull into the neighborhood. I was also driving with my hazards on because we were in the middle of a torrential downpour. I literally couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. the car still runs and drives just fine, the only damage I can see is the hood, bumper and front fender. The airbag deployed but I was told that I can replace it. I just got this car a couple week ago, I haven't even made a payment on it yet.

Please give me your opinions 😔

Attachment 183624
No way you can get it fixed for under $500 here in Houston

Sent from my SM-G925T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang