Loss of Power - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Exclamation Loss of Power

I've noticed that my 2005 V6 Mustang spits out gas at random times when I'm at the pump. Its almost as if its full, but I know it isn't. Also, I've noticed a gradual loss of power. It takes about a good 2 sec. before it picks up speed after stepping on the gas pedal. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thank you in advance to those who take the time to reply!
Jooney86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooney86 View Post
I've noticed that my 2005 V6 Mustang spits out gas at random times when I'm at the pump. Its almost as if its full, but I know it isn't. Also, I've noticed a gradual loss of power. It takes about a good 2 sec. before it picks up speed after stepping on the gas pedal. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thank you in advance to those who take the time to reply!

The good two seconds is probably just the awful throttle response, especially if you have an auto.

And the gas spitting out is just cause the design of the tank fill tube...try turning the pump towards the rear of the car. Usually helps

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

Thank you! What, in your opinion, can I do to improve throttle response? Also, I noticed that as I am driving down the highway and I step on the gas peddle, my RPMs stay at around 2,000. Any ideas?
Jooney86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

They don't rev past 2000??

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Best thing for throttle response is a tune

Old 05-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
That terrible throttle response is due to the ECU needing the TPS, MAF, O2 sensors, knock sensors, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, and other **** to give it input. Then it calculates how much power you deserve to get, and then it tells the injectors and ignition what to do.

My car has a cable that opens a valve exactly 100% instantaneously in accordance to what my foot tells it wtf to do, and the airflow moving past the jets does its job on the spot. Orgasmic throttle response
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Lol here we go again. You are a broken record dude
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Lol here we go again. You are a broken record dude
No, you EFI guys are incessantly posting threads about all of your problems with EFI, and then ignore me every time I go "see, I told you so".
Old 05-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Enjoy your outdated technology
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

I mean i does if I press the peddle all the way down but not by much. from 60 to 80 for example it stays around 2,000 rpm
Old 05-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Enjoy your outdated technology
It will only be outdated once they invent something that does a better job and is less complex.

But lets get back on topic here with the poor guy's EFI problem. 2 second throttle delay? Id start with the obvious stuff and make sure your battery&alt are good. If that stuff isn't working correctly, a lot of the new EFI stuff just ****s itself because it is so finicky
Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooney86 View Post
I mean i does if I press the peddle all the way down but not by much. from 60 to 80 for example it stays around 2,000 rpm
THat is right around the speed where your torque converter is supposed to "lock up". Scotty will know what I am trying to talk to you about and he can tell you if Im on to something about the semi-stagnant RPM
Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You also have "Drive By Wire", which is different than the old fashioned throttle cable that physically connected the throttle body to the gas pedal. Your gas pedal is now connected to a position sensor, which is connected to your ECU, which tells your throttle body how much it can/cant open. So your car is programmed to allow certain throttle movements to be transmitted to the throttle body, and to filter some out. This is done for fuel economy and it is the most enraging feature ever put on cars besides EFI in my opinion
Old 05-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
It will only be outdated once they invent something that does a better job and is less complex.

But lets get back on topic here with the poor guy's EFI problem. 2 second throttle delay? Id start with the obvious stuff and make sure your battery&alt are good. If that stuff isn't working correctly, a lot of the new EFI stuff just ****s itself because it is so finicky

Once they invent something better?? No one is going to invest in carb technology man...fuel injection is much easier to tune and perfect and is meow efficient and makes more power.

If it wasn't better then we'd still all have carbs

Old 05-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post

I am reading everyone's response & discussions. Keep them coming!

Also, I must point out that there are NO error lights on at this time. None have come on to alert me of any issues. I just feel like the car has been losing power.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

As far as the throttle lag, when was the last time you did a tune up? (Spark plugs, oil, filters, etc). I would also clean the MAF Sensor, Throttle body, use fuel system cleaner. Once all that is done, unplug the battery for about an hour. Let the car reset. Then take it for a cruise and see if it is any better.

Cleaning the MAF, TB, and unplugging the battery is a very cheap way to try and get better response if there ARE any issues. Fuel system cleaner is cheap. This will clean out injectors and such.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Jooney, Auto or stick? if it is a stick I'm gonna say it is just lack of power and the nature of the beast.

If it is an auto does it downshift? (it should esp if you mash pedal)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
As far as the throttle lag, when was the last time you did a tune up? (Spark plugs, oil, filters, etc). I would also clean the MAF Sensor, Throttle body, use fuel system cleaner. Once all that is done, unplug the battery for about an hour. Let the car reset. Then take it for a cruise and see if it is any better.

Cleaning the MAF, TB, and unplugging the battery is a very cheap way to try and get better response if there ARE any issues. Fuel system cleaner is cheap. This will clean out injectors and such.

If you unplugged the battery, would that effect your car if you had an engine tune?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerS197 View Post
If you unplugged the battery, would that effect your car if you had an engine tune?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

No, would have 0 effect
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang