07 rear wheel bearing removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
07 rear wheel bearing removal

Alright, I have a bad wheel bearing on the rear passenger side, Its too the point where it makes a grinding noise. I have a new rear bearing without the hub, the bearing costs me $8 while the hub was $388. The thought never crossed my mind until now. Will i need any special tools to get the bearing off? and how do i go about pressing the new on?

I planed on doing this Sunday afternoon with some friends. But that might be changing if i need a shop to do this.
Evilwalker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yes. You will need a slide impact hammer along with an axle bearing puller.
Your biggest problem, in my opinion, is that you might have waited too long to repair the bad bearing and it has likely destroyed the axle shaft on that side.
If you do the repair yourself, CAREFULLY inspect the axle, right where the bearing rides, for any pitting or scarring. If you see any at all, the axle will need to be replaced, as the strength has been compromised.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #3

Region: Ohio
The clunking or grinding noise just started happening today, Before that it was a humming noise that would get worse depending on speed, As soon as i heard the grinding i quit driving, But i will definitely look the axel over very well.

Is there anyway you could give me step by step on how to remove the bearing? getting to the bearing isnt a problem. Im just not sure how to remove it and install.

I assume the bearing puller will be pretty straight forward on getting it out. how do I use the impact hammer to get it into its place?

I have never done a job like this and so far im sure i can do it up to actually pulling and replacing the bearing
Evilwalker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Search "Ford rear axle bearing replacement" on You Tube and there should be a bunch of how to videos. The video doesn't necessarily need to be for your specific read end. One for 8.8 inch rears will give you a general idea.
And the major auto parts stores might have "loaner" tools available to do the job.
The slide hammer is used just like a regular hammer, only in reverse. You use it by hooking it behind the bearing race and knocking it out by sliding the hammer weight towards you.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Once the old bearing is removed, clean out the bearing recess, and then you can use a suitably sized socket to drive the new bearing into the recess. If you don't have a socket that is the right size, again, the auto parts stores usually have loaner bearing drivers available.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I don't know how many miles you have on the car but if a bearing is only $8 why not changes the other side also while you have all the tools and help. It's been 40 years since I changed a rear end so I can't remember, but is there any chance that metal shavings from the bearing going bad could get into your differential gear oil? You might ask someone if you should change the gear oil to be safe.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang