Fuel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
mob86kl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Fuel

I have a 2010 V6 4.0 L
What type of gasoline should I use regular or plus which is better for the stangs???


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mob86kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bschmidty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks
Region: California
Posts: 523
Regular will be fine. The only time a higher octane is typically run is if your car is tuned for it.
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Yeah typically the 4.0 isn't gona see any noticeable benefit from running a higher octane unless you have your car tuned for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
mob86kl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Okay thanks ...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mob86kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 34
Running a higher octane is better for the car but you will not notice it without a tune because your computer is only looking to see regular 87


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
Grabber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
05MUSTANG4.0L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob86kl View Post
I have a 2010 V6 4.0 L
What type of gasoline should I use regular or plus which is better for the stangs???


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
What mpg are you getting

Sent from my SM-G925T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 34
Well guess it depends lol I have a good list of upgrades that pulls my mpg down, but when I rag on it 18-20 and when I'm cruise I can get anything from 23-28 but that's all highway and cruise control on


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
Grabber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
JokerS197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 93
With the modifications I have on my 06, I actually over 30mpg on the highway. Last long distance trip I did I came up with 31 miles to the gallon average on the highway.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
TTmustang10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clovis
Region: Other
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerS197 View Post
With the modifications I have on my 06, I actually over 30mpg on the highway. Last long distance trip I did I came up with 31 miles to the gallon average on the highway.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

How do you guys get over 20 im on a street tune and get 16.5mpg
TTmustang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 34
What mods are you running and who's tune?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
Grabber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
JokerS197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 93
I use the race tune that's why, 93 octane. Really I only have simple mods. BBK CAI, BBK 70mm tb, aluminum single piece drive shaft, pypes true dual exhaust, bama 93 octane race tune. I believe the Eiboch lowering kit helps with the cars cursing, the car rolls down the hill fast now then with stock suspension. Occasional I put royal purple engine cleaner in the tank to help clean the system out. I use nothing but full synthetic oil in my girl.

The convertible mustang weight is heavier the the hardtop, if I had the hardtop I could probably get even better mileage being that it's lighter. Again this is cruising on the highway. In the city it sucks on gas because of the stop and go, the race tune being aggressive. I wouldn't say my mileage is worse than stock in the city, but I could be better!

I wanted to install one of those under pulls belt system, they say it can increase fuel by a few more gallons. My goal is to make the most fuel efficiency out of my mustang with these gas prices change. I can swear that my gas gauge isn't broken! This recent test isn't the first, the key is to just use only cruise control.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber10 View Post
Running a higher octane is better for the car but you will not notice it without a tune because your computer is only looking to see regular 87


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
Running higher octane than you are tuned for is not "better" for the car. It doesn't run any cleaner, give you better mpg, or any of the urban legends. In fact, it may be dirtier if you aren't tuned for it since you won't get a clean burn when you ignite because it burns slower. If your 2005-10 is tuned for higher octane then run it, if you aren't tuned for it then run 87 which is the stock tune.

On the 2011+ the story is different. They have knock sensors and will adjust timing until detecting knock and then back off. There is a small bump in power with them, but not enough that you would really notice (really, will your butt-dyno be able to tell the 10 hp difference?).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Texas22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmustang10 View Post
How do you guys get over 20 im on a street tune and get 16.5mpg

+1
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Running higher octane than you are tuned for is not "better" for the car. It doesn't run any cleaner, give you better mpg, or any of the urban legends. In fact, it may be dirtier if you aren't tuned for it since you won't get a clean burn when you ignite because it burns slower. If your 2005-10 is tuned for higher octane then run it, if you aren't tuned for it then run 87 which is the stock tune.



On the 2011+ the story is different. They have knock sensors and will adjust timing until detecting knock and then back off. There is a small bump in power with them, but not enough that you would really notice (really, will your butt-dyno be able to tell the 10 hp difference?).

Well usually though the 93 gasolines have the premium cleaning agents in them though, more so than regular so it might run cleaner from that but not from the higher octane no. You're right it burns slower and colder than lower octane


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help with custom fuel rails, fittings, fuel pressure gauge tire Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 07-13-2015 04:32 PM
Replacing stock fuel door with stock fuel door...help? MarshallYoung 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 13 07-24-2012 12:23 AM
should i have to change fuel.pump and fuel filter?? jmpark527 2005-2010 Mustang GT 11 11-11-2011 10:38 AM
Pruchased my Fuel Injectors and Fuel pump today Brent Pictures and Videos 36 12-14-2010 04:22 PM
19LB Fuel Injectors; 190-255LPH Walbro Fuel Pump Brent Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 5 05-12-2005 12:04 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:31 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.