Raxiom Smoked Headlights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Question Raxiom Smoked Headlights

Hello I have some Raxiom Smoked Headlights currently on my stang and I was looking to add some HIDS to them. I decided to go with the Morimoto as I have heard great things about them and was wondering has anyone installed these HIDs on the Raxiom Smoked headlights that could tell me how the install went? Would be much appreciated thanks!

Raxiom Smoked Mustang Halo Projector Headlights - LED 49128 (05-09 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
Dominicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Install will be like any PnP HID kit. Wire the ballasts in, install the HIDs in the housings and then plug the bulbs into the ballasts.

That said, you are wasting your money. The Raxiom projectors are not designed for HIDs and the cutoff will be wonky if its even a clean cutoff at all. It will not be like a true OEM/Retrofit, been there done that and if your cutoff is really bad you will be blinding oncoming traffic not to mention you won't be able to see well either.

A good halogen bulb is going to be plenty bright and will just plug right in. If you are not bright enough to see properly, consider getting Philps Xtreme Power bulbs or Osram Night Breakers. Don't get Sylvania Silverstars, their output is actually lower than an OEM Philips bulb from Ford.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Install will be like any PnP HID kit. Wire the ballasts in, install the HIDs in the housings and then plug the bulbs into the ballasts.

That said, you are wasting your money. The Raxiom projectors are not designed for HIDs and the cutoff will be wonky if its even a clean cutoff at all. It will not be like a true OEM/Retrofit, been there done that and if your cutoff is really bad you will be blinding oncoming traffic not to mention you won't be able to see well either.

A good halogen bulb is going to be plenty bright and will just plug right in. If you are not bright enough to see properly, consider getting Philps Xtreme Power bulbs or Osram Night Breakers. Don't get Sylvania Silverstars, their output is actually lower than an OEM Philips bulb from Ford.
How would I be blinding other drivers? This is a reflector housing and its smoked also I know its not designed for HIDs but I have read of many people running HIDs through them without any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

HID lights in reflector housings- A reminder to some of you out there

What you have read is not accurate. You cannot safely run a plug and play HID setup in a reflector housing. You can't aim them and they spray light everywhere. Either get a legit retrofit done or don't run them.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
THEY won't have any problems, but HID's in a reflector housing blind other drivers and it can impact your visibility badly.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Just get a proper retrofit.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

You mean reflector housing...

Also a projector with halogens in mind will not have a correct HID cutoff. Ask me how I know... Although they will usually have a cutoff to at least prevent other drivers from being blinded.

Yes just get a retrofit which usually runs $500 or so. Or save your money and pay $40 for a set of good halogens and put the other $460 into making the car perform better.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
HID lights in reflector housings- A reminder to some of you out there

What you have read is not accurate. You cannot safely run a plug and play HID setup in a reflector housing. You can't aim them and they spray light everywhere. Either get a legit retrofit done or don't run them.
By any chance could you direct me to a thread that perhaps has pictures of the halogen bulbs in the Raxiom headlights?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Could anyone else direct me to a thread or someone who has the raxiom headlights with the halogen bulbs in them so I can see how the light output is I would appreciate it thanks!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

I saw your PM but I got side tracked right after I saw it so sorry about that. I do not have any pics of the Xtremes with a smoked housing. I actually do not recommend a smoked housing at all if you are worried about overall output. Too many ppl are running blue tinted lights with smoked housings and are down well under what the OEM lights put out. I would only run a smoked housing if you had a legit HID retrofit with 4300k bulbs.

Google images or the AM review pictures are probably going to be your best bet.

And regardless, the Philips Xtreme Power is currently the highest intensity/best focused halogen bulb on the market for the 9008/H13 socket.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9008-X...eme+power+9008

Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I saw your PM but I got side tracked right after I saw it so sorry about that. I do not have any pics of the Xtremes with a smoked housing. I actually do not recommend a smoked housing at all if you are worried about overall output. Too many ppl are running blue tinted lights with smoked housings and are down well under what the OEM lights put out. I would only run a smoked housing if you had a legit HID retrofit with 4300k bulbs.

Google images or the AM review pictures are probably going to be your best bet.

And regardless, the Philips Xtreme Power is currently the highest intensity/best focused halogen bulb on the market for the 9008/H13 socket.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9008-X...eme+power+9008
Thanks how long is their life span I know its less then an average bulb but what would be a ruff estimate?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

Region: Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:
(snip)
I actually do not recommend a smoked housing at all if you are worried about overall output. Too many ppl are running blue tinted lights with smoked housings and are down well under what the OEM lights put out.
(snip)
Finally someone sort of agrees with me! I'm all about making my car look cool and all; I have painted my calipers and done some other cosmetic stuff, but at the expense of safety I have to draw the line. To me it is as absurd to reduce the light output of my safety and positioning lamps by covering them with black film as it would be to lubricate my rotors and pads - on a car that is driven, of course. Show cars - completely different story!
dorkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

For tail lights I'm not against smoking them but headlights should never be IMO.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 08-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
By any chance could you direct me to a thread that perhaps has pictures of the halogen bulbs in the Raxiom headlights?
Look further down in the "reminder" link above and you will see an excellent example of the kind of light scatter you are going to get doing this...........people who do this mod always earn my high beam salute............please don't even consider doing this.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

He said halogens...

Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
He said halogens...

That he did..........my bad..............

To the OP.....better Halogens would be a good choice for you, but how much do the smoked lenses decrease output of the bulbs you have?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Generally, aftermarket headlights come with **** bulbs if they come with them at all. And if Raxiom stuff includes Raxiom bulbs then that holds true lol. Philips Xtremes for halogens or HIRs (which are also Philips) if you get a 9005/9006 housing. Xtreme Vision for the 04-down 9007 housings and Xtreme Power for the 9008 05+ housings.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have the Raxiom smoked halo headlights and run HID's. They are 35W 6000k and they work great. You will not melt the headlights. Don't go over 35W and you will be fine. No issues with mine and been using them for over a year.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:24 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I have the Raxiom smoked halo headlights and run HID's. They are 35W 6000k and they work great. You will not melt the headlights. Don't go over 35W and you will be fine. No issues with mine and been using them for over a year.

Post a pic of your cutoff.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Post a pic of your cutoff.
What's that bro? My buddy installed the kit.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'll take all the pictures you want boss. I'll do it later today when I get home. I'm working the night shift now. Lol

Old 08-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

That is a cutoff. If your setup looks like the left and not the right then you're blinding oncoming traffic and should not be running HIDs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pnp-vs-retrofit-cutoff-output1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	190369  

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is a cutoff. If your setup looks like the left and not the right then you're blinding oncoming traffic and should not be running HIDs.
Mine look like the picture on the right. Those Raxiom headlights are projection style headlights if that makes a difference.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Installing HIDs in a projector headlight (whether it be a true retrofit or cheap projectors) is definitely better than simply installing them in the OEM reflector housings. However, the focal point of those halogen projectors will not match up with the HID bulbs being installed in them.
S197 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:46 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197 GT View Post
Installing HIDs in a projector headlight (whether it be a true retrofit or cheap projectors) is definitely better than simply installing them in the OEM reflector housings. However, the focal point of those halogen projectors will not match up with the HID bulbs being installed in them.
Nope, it won't and I guarandamntee a HID in a Raxiom projector is not even close to an OEM setup. It likely will not be a straight cutoff but at least it probably does have some sort of an aimable cutoff and if it is aimed so its not blinding oncoming traffic... whatever. It'll still be reduced visibility vs a good halogen in the same housing tho.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Nope, it won't and I guarandamntee a HID in a Raxiom projector is not even close to an OEM setup. It likely will not be a straight cutoff but at least it probably does have some sort of an aimable cutoff and if it is aimed so its not blinding oncoming traffic... whatever. It'll still be reduced visibility vs a good halogen in the same housing tho.
Exactly. And since the focal points are different, light will likely be scattered outside of and above the cutoff. You may be able to aim "most" of it, but it can still distract, if not blind, oncoming traffic.
S197 GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang