Internal exhaust issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Internal exhaust issue

So after going to multiple shops and getting my car checked multiple times, there is some sort of internal exhaust issue causing a rattle at specific rpm. It is a very weird rattle that occurs frequently while the car is cold, but as it warms up it will sometimes go away. It's a pypes mid muffler dual exhaust, and the shop that installed it welded it shut. Any ideas on how to fix it other than blasting my radio constantly, because this rattle is audible to people outside my car and that bothers me. Since I paid a lot for the exhaust set up. Any advice would be nice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
thevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have the same problem, does your exhaust have high flow cats? I've looked underneath my car while the rattle occurs and it's a heat shield or anything. My only guess is that it's gotta be the cats and must have crappy catalyst inside that's broken off and rattling around
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have stock cats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if I could use a plumbing snake to go up the exhaust pipe and move stuff around, maybe get out the lose piece of whatever it is.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevanman View Post
So after going to multiple shops and getting my car checked multiple times, there is some sort of internal exhaust issue causing a rattle at specific rpm. It is a very weird rattle that occurs frequently while the car is cold, but as it warms up it will sometimes go away. It's a pypes mid muffler dual exhaust, and the shop that installed it welded it shut. Any ideas on how to fix it other than blasting my radio constantly, because this rattle is audible to people outside my car and that bothers me. Since I paid a lot for the exhaust set up. Any advice would be nice.
'

Van-Man - That's no good at all brother and I know what it's like! No pleasant at all especially when you're looking for it. Have you reached out to Pypes directly about this?

I've got a small hunch that there could be something loose internally within one of the mufflers.

I know it sounds childish but the next time you have a few minutes and the cars cold get under there with a hammer and tap away until you find where it's coming from.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think the most pypes will do is send me a new muffler, but it will still be a lot to cut and weld again. I do not have the tools to do it myself.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Check the heat shields before anything else...I had a loose one. Pretty notorious on these cars for rattles

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's not a heat shield. I have removed them and replaced them with thermal tape.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Check the spacing on the rear mufflers. The hanging rods that hold the muffler up is probably to far forward. The engine heats up and the exhaust starts vibrating. The rod then starts tapping the frame of the car creating a rattling noise. I had a rattling that happened at random times. Started checking the muffler hanging rods and sure enough the one on the driver side was to close to the frame. After market exhaust system sticks out further back on the car, just the nature of the new exhaust. I had them shorten the rod and I haven't heard a sound ever since.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JokerS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Could you post pics of which rods you are talking about?

Old 08-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Internal exhaust issue

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440966667.050933.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	190344 The best shot I can get for now, it's the rob that runs from the muffler to hold it in place. If that rob is to close to the frame, it will tap against it. It will be really loud if you have a 93 race tune, because the exhaust will shake more. Your rattling may sound like it's coming from around the transmission, but it's just because there is little insulation around that spot.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Really. That's exactly where it sounds like it's coming from! I will have to look at it.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

And that's right from the back of the car? I have the mid mufflers so mine are in front of the rear end.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And that's right from the back of the car? I have the mid mufflers so mine are in front of the rear end.

Quote:
Really. That's exactly where it sounds like it's coming from! I will have to look at it.

Yes it's right at the rear! It took me some time and researching to figure it out. Those rods will have to have a large amount cut off. Check both sides of the exhaust hanging rods, mine was to close to the driver side bumper. If you can't get it cut off soon, wrap it in duck tap. Wrap it around the end of the rod to act as a cushion, it should dime down the tapping noise. You'll have to explain it to the muffler shop and show them where it is.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust