Super stiff struts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Super stiff struts

06 GT, stock suspension,rims and tires ( size) has 77k on it. Noticed excess tire wear inner tires ( more on Driver side) Toe in was only about 1/16th" off. Caster camber is off. slightly, assumption is just normal settling. But my front is super stiff. Father in law ( used to own alignment shop, good mech had a couple strokes)
said the struts are collapsed. I argued it a little about if they did then the car would ride like a bouncy ball. He swears the struts are collapsed. SOOO if you push down on the front its stiff, it takes alot to get her to sink. but its really tight on corners, no body roll or sway at all. ( 75 mph full circle onramp stays flat ). it does ride a bit rough but thats not an issue for me. SOOO in order to set the wife at ease, anyone that has any experience or advice for or against let it rip.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Do you hear clunking in the front when going over bumps? 50-60k miles is the target for replacing stock struts. Sometimes you can get a little more out of them. But around 50k is when I do mine.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

no noises I have a floor board bump but thats from an exhaust bolt i need to move as for the struts you hear that gas sound.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Well since you are starting to get outside the recommended maintenance interval for replacing that, all I can suggest is taking it someplace for a 2nd opinion. As these things are hard to diagnose remotely. Since we cannot physically see/inspect everything.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had this happen with a shock absorber once. I suspect that the "valving" inside of the shock somehow failed, and it became extremely stiff. So much so, that it was very difficult to compress it enough to remove it!
This is probably the problem with your struts.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I had this happen with a shock absorber once. I suspect that the "valving" inside of the shock somehow failed, and it became extremely stiff. So much so, that it was very difficult to compress it enough to remove it!
This is probably the problem with your struts.
Now that makes sense and considering it was shipped from AZ CA border to south Ga when we moved in June, the car was cranked down on an auto transport for over a week, i will be using a jack tonight to lift it and see if they open and or compress at all. thanks Stray bullit.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well the ride has softened up. Come to find out my front tires started to separate on the inside. Still should do struts but now she's smooth again. As for the noise inner plastic fender well had loosened up and was moving around.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang