Radio is not working .. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Radio is not working ..

I just started my car and my radio is not turning on ..on the display it says mustang and has a temperature for the outside ..not sure what's going on.. Any help Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1457704282.038499.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	198105

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mob86kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Maybe call your dealer and ask the service department if they have any ideas to try??
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've seen my 2012 do this but I just hit the I/O button and it comes back to life.

I am also curious is to why this happens or is it a feature that we are accidentally hitting?

Would be awesome for someone to shed some light for us on this topic.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've never seen "Mustang" on my 2012 shaker 500 display. Does it only come up when its broke?
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I would disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes I doubt it but mayhap it needs to reboot (simple/free)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Okay ...thanks y'all for the info

Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I took the positive terminal from the battery off waited about 10 minutes I put it back on the battery started my car radio start working again..
LOL wow crazy

But thanks y'all

Old 03-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
So no more "Mustang " on the display either. It must be the message that pops up when the audio computer is crashed. Good to know.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob86kl View Post
I took the positive terminal from the battery off waited about 10 minutes I put it back on the battery started my car radio start working again..
LOL wow crazy

But thanks y'all

your welcome, but always disconnect negative first (safety reasons)

negative = first off/last on.

if you accidentally touch the frame (or pretty much any part) with your wrench when disconnecting the positive terminal and the negative is still hooked up you'll have a direct short through your wrench. It's entertaining to say the least.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #10

Region: California
OK, so after nearly 2 years of fighting this problem, I think I finally have figured it out (though Ford continues to say it's not a problem and that they can't diagnose it, or it's because something was done to modify the stereo... pick your set of excuses). So, enough crabbing and on with what's going on:

In it's infinite wisdom (insert sarcasm), Ford has left the power outlets to be on even when the car is turned off. Now this means that ANY item you leave plugged in is going to drain the battery (even a simple USB power adapter has a continual drain). What causes the MUSTANG and non-working radio to start is a draw on the battery beyond a certain level (some here mentioned 4 hours of a GPS, I've had it after several days parked with just a USB power adapter plugged in).

Now the fun begins because, best as I can figure it, there is a reset routine that requires a certain voltage to be maintained for a certain time and then suddenly everything starts working. First, I'd suggest the attempts above at disconnecting the battery for 10-15 min (negative first), and then be sure fuses 39 and 3 are good. If this doesn't work (like it didn't for me), on to the next step.

Sometimes just driving at highway speeds for 60-120 min will fix it. More reliably I've found that giving the battery a trickle charge over night, then driving at highway speeds for 60-120 min is the most reliable (unfortunately just the charging isn't enough to do the reset).

Yes this is at total PITA and such a design fail in my opinion, but it's better than the $600+ alternative of replacing the stereo (yes the dealer will try to sell you a new one, saying that's the problem). Next step for me is to change the wiring to the outlet I use for USB power so that it turns off with the ignition (there's a reason this worked so well starting from Henry Ford's first car).

OK, a bit of griping but hopefully some good info that all those dealing with this can use to avoid big expenses in the future. Best of luck!
MustFunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

« Car clubs | HP »