1st time buyer looking for advice! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
1st time buyer looking for advice!

Hello all! My name is Michael I am 28 ears old and am looking to buy my first Mustang. I remember seeing a particular one when I was 16 and thinking to myself....I WILL have that. Well after years of saving I can finally achieve this goal. I love the 2008 style so that is what I am gunning for. I only have about 8k to throw at this right now so hopefully I can find one at a reasonable price. Are there any problems known with the 08's in general? What can I expect in terms of life expectancy? (The average for my spending range is 110K miles.) What should I look for at the dealership, exc....Thanks SO much for any help it is greatly appreciated!
Mikeykens1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I'm only 18, so I have yet to have a lot of experience with cars, and mustangs in general. But, I'll give you my 2 cents anyway.

1) I found my car for 6,000 (2006 V6 Premium) with 81,000 miles. So with your budget you can find a really clean car under 100K miles.

2) The engines are super reliable expecially V6's. If you take care of it, it'll last 200K miles.

3) I found out the hardway, but normally the thermostat housing cracks around 80k miles. I punched it and next thing you know, I'm leaking coolant all over my manifold. So, until that happens, you can replace the plastic one, which cracks normally just to heat and cold wear, with stainless steel and it'll last way longer.

4) Our style mustangs rust on the lip of the hood. Haven't found a way to stop it, just a pain.

You'll love every second of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stevenadamatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a convertible?? I am wishy washy between having one and not. Also, where did you find your car was it a private seller or dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeykens1900 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Do you have a convertible?? I am wishy washy between having one and not. Also, where did you find your car was it a private seller or dealership?

I don't have a convertible. I personally like a clean looking coupe without the imbalance of that top on the covertible. Just my preference though. I found my car at a dealership just because it was more safe for me at the time, and had cash so I lowballed them for it and just waved the cash in their faces.

Here's a better picture of my beauty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1460036593.724633.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	199369

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stevenadamatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I would suggest trying to find one owned by someone like me, there are a fair number of ones that have never been driven in the rain. Look on this and other forums in the classified section. One advantage of that is you'll be able to go back through the sellers posts to see what they've done to it and their history. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Thanks Steven...That is SEXYYY Im a little jealous haha. Thank you as well strange mud. I have been wanting to buy from a private owner but pickings appear to be slim!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I guess you didn't say if you want to start with V8 or V6. Personally I think you'd be happier with a V8 although looking for a V6 may be more in your price range.
Just depends on how you can wait to find the right car....it can take a short time or maybe 3/6 months...just depends on what you are looking for.

I know this is about $1800 more than you want to spend but in my book it never hurts to look/test drive/negotiate...all they can say is no and at that point you can walk away or ????

Cars for Sale: Used 2008 Ford Mustang in GT Coupe, York PA: 17402 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

For me looking for a car I start with the body, are there any dents, how many chips are on the car...on the front bumper. Chips can be taken care of by you. Do all of the body seams look the same....take an ice cream stick with you along with a refrigerator magnet for going over the body on the quarters behind and in front of the rear wheels and the behind the front tires on the front fender and along the bottoms of the doors. How do the tires look, how much tread....the paint and make sure you look at the car in dry weather, not when it's raining.
If you are unsure of the mechanical stuff take it to a Ford dealer and have them inspect it....it will cost a couple of dollars but well worth it in the end.

Cars for Sale: Used 2009 Ford Mustang in Coupe, Portsmouth VA: 23701 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: Used 2008 Ford Mustang in Deluxe, Annapolis MD: 21401 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

2007 FORD MUSTANG GT SILVER

2008 ford mustang
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You probably wont find a GT at a dealership for under $10K. But they can be had for 6-8K from a private seller all day long. I just traded in my 08 for a 14. I've had 5-6 SN95 Mustangs, 2-New Edge Mustangs & the 08 which is a S197. You're more less looking for a S197 Mustang 2005-2009. the 2010 has a different body style but the same 4.6 motor. Too bad you're not in AZ. I'd take you to this place selling one Bad A__ 05. 2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium *** Whipple Super Charger *** Finance ***
Click on the link & check it out.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

You probably wont find a GT at a dealership for under $10K. But they can be had for 6-8K from a private seller all day long. I just traded in my 08 for a 14. I've had 5-6 SN95 Mustangs, 2-New Edge Mustangs & the 08 which is a S197. You're more less looking for a S197 Mustang 2005-2009. the 2010 has a different body style but the same 4.6 motor. Too bad you're not in AZ. I'd take you to this place selling one Bad A__ 05. 2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium *** Whipple Super Charger *** Finance ***
Click on the link & check it out.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

Hellish OMG that is gorgeous! Seems very reasonably priced as well! I originally just wanted a normal Mustang but then made the mistake of cranking up a GT at the dealership...OMG! SO MUCH POWER haha. I am trying to be a good boy and stay within my 10k cap I test drove this car and it seemed pretty nice in general the GM at the dealership happens to be a good friend of mine but I still feel it is overpriced. Any thoughts? He already knocked it down to 9K for me.....

2005 FORD MUSTANG Deluxe/Premium | Fredericksburg , VIRGINIA | Autos Direct, Inc - VA - 22405
Old 04-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #10

Thanks so much for taking the time to send me these! That's very kind of you. I Like the black GT in PA as well as the gold one for 7500$...they seem like great deals!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Hellish OMG that is gorgeous! Seems very reasonably priced as well! I originally just wanted a normal Mustang but then made the mistake of cranking up a GT at the dealership...OMG! SO MUCH POWER haha. I am trying to be a good boy and stay within my 10k cap I test drove this car and it seemed pretty nice in general the GM at the dealership happens to be a good friend of mine but I still feel it is overpriced. Any thoughts? He already knocked it down to 9K for me.....

2005 FORD MUSTANG Deluxe/Premium | Fredericksburg , VIRGINIA | Autos Direct, Inc - VA - 22405
Shop around bud, 9k is pretty steep for an 05.
Carfax is also your friend 👍

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #12

Thanks for the advice I am not sure about price points!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
$9,000 from a dealer really isn't all that bad. But you can buy the same thing from a private party for $7,000 - $8000. You should just get the Carfax membership. I know it's about $80 a year for unlimited Carfax reports. You'll know exactly what you're buying no matter who you buy it from.
That car I gave you the link to....I bet if you put $10K in his face he'd take it.
I would have bought it but I owed too much on my 08 for him to make the deal.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #14

Ford Mustang GT Conv Prem | eBay

Saw this one on Ebay And I Love it. I feel it is a but pricey however, currently in negotiation now. What do you guys think?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Looks nice and I love the red interior but the price is about $3k more than I'd pay.
If you live in a sunny place most of the year and don't use it as a daily driver I think convertibles are really nice.

Personally I like this one as the color is not often seen and it has a about 30k less miles........although it's an automatic.

Cars for Sale: Used 2007 Ford Mustang in GT, Bessemer City NC: 28016 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

Sorry, I didn't notice it had been in an fender bender....
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenadamatis View Post

3) I found out the hardway, but normally the thermostat housing cracks around 80k miles. I punched it and next thing you know, I'm leaking coolant all over my manifold. So, until that happens, you can replace the plastic one, which cracks normally just to heat and cold wear, with stainless steel and it'll last way longer.
I never heard of a stainless steel one being available? Any details? I have one made out of cast aluminum, that I purchased on Amazon.

And for the OP, I would definately think about getting one and dumping the plastic one. You'll sleep better at night.

Best of luck!
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I've never heard or seen a thermostat housing made of stainless steel either just cast aluminum. You can find it on amazon or ebay. I replaced mine a while ago after it started leaking. Easy fix.
Michaelg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I was on the fence about getting a convertible. I've always been more fond of the hard-tops appearance wise. I'm glad I decided to get a traditional hard-top coupe. For one, I live in the north-east, so I would only have the opportunity to drive with the top down a handful of times a year. Plus I would worry about the material getting torn or damaged on a convertible because I park outside. But it all depends on your location and preference. Best of luck in finding your new 'Stang ^_^
Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang