Battery Light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
Battery Light

Hey everyone, first time poster on this site so sorry if I don't know all the lingo. I have a 2005 V6 4.0L Mustang. First time Mustang owner and it is my first car. When I bought it I noticed it was going to be a lot of work and money to fix it up. One of the main problems I have noticed is the battery light turning on and off. It just randomly turns on and off, with that being said the car has never turned off on me (thank god) It used to pop up maybe once every two weeks. Now I am noticing it is popping up almost every time I drive it. The light pops up for about 2 minutes then disappears then does it again. I took it to Autozone and got the battery and alternator checked out, they both are fine. So I checked the fuse box and its still good. I have yet to check the ground cables which I will be doing soon. The thing I want to know is if there are anymore things I should check that could be causing this. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.
Ramram563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramram563 View Post
Hey everyone, first time poster on this site so sorry if I don't know all the lingo. I have a 2005 V6 4.0L Mustang. First time Mustang owner and it is my first car. When I bought it I noticed it was going to be a lot of work and money to fix it up. One of the main problems I have noticed is the battery light turning on and off. It just randomly turns on and off, with that being said the car has never turned off on me (thank god) It used to pop up maybe once every two weeks. Now I am noticing it is popping up almost every time I drive it. The light pops up for about 2 minutes then disappears then does it again. I took it to Autozone and got the battery and alternator checked out, they both are fine. So I checked the fuse box and its still good. I have yet to check the ground cables which I will be doing soon. The thing I want to know is if there are anymore things I should check that could be causing this. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.
Were they able to test the alternator while the red light was on? Sometimes the built in voltage regulator fluctuates when it's on it's way out.
You should try to check the alternator output while the red light is on. If you don't already have one you should buy yourself a multimeter.
After checking cables for tightness, check alternator belt for looseness.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Ram,

what DH said....check connections at alt & battery also check voltage at battery. Good luck and let us know what you find if we can we'll give you more things to try.

Welcome to Mevo

Mud
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

A loose connection on the charging post of the alternator will produce that condition

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Region: Arizona
They weren't able to test it while the battery light was on. I think I have a multimeter lying around so I'll check that all out and let you know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ramram563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

car off 12.6 volts
running 13.6-14.6
Old 07-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
car off 12.6 volts
running 13.6-14.6
Is that checking all wires to the alternator pigtail with the car on your suppose to have power to all wires not just one and that's not running just with the ignition in the on position

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:26 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

i was referring to battery. You would have to look at a schematic for the alt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang