2005 V6 Analog gas gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2005 V6 Analog gas gauge

I know the right answer to my question is to ignore it because of cost but I have a little OCD in me and want to see what I can do. So... my fuel gauge needle remains stuck at full. It previously would stick at many different spots like completely past where any of the gauge reads but it is now perfectly at full so at least it looks nice. My digital output that shows "miles to empty" works perfectly so if I keep that showing, I'm in good shape.

Ford dealer says it's a pretty big job where they have to drop the entire tank to fix it. I don't think this is the case. They also indicated that it is a saddle bag gas tank that has the sender for the analog gauge in one side and the digital on the other. I don't have a lot of confidence in the dealer I'm working with because of a few other issues. I can do several things on my car but I don't like messing with fuel tank.

Any thoughts out there on getting it back to having the analog gauge working again? Appreciate it!
tjpfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
It could simply be the gauge cluster. There are people who have fixed it - do a search in the S197 section.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
This is for your '05? I haven't checked but I can't believe your full tank pump & gauge sender isn't accessible from inside the car. It's usually under your back seat. Pull the bottom of your back seat out and there should be an oval or round access panel under there. That is where your in-tank pump and sender is located.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Maybe the needle is just bent, & it's sticking?
My dads did that, & he just took a wire & unbent it & it worked fine.
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
You should indeed check that your gauge is working properly. Does it act normally when you turn the key on and off? Does it EVER head toward the empty side?
If it's okay, I found a decent video of the fuel pump/sender unit. It doesn't look like a very tough job.

Dang. I see the video is titled 2006 to 2009. Is the '05 different?
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
You should indeed check that your gauge is working properly. Does it act normally when you turn the key on and off? Does it EVER head toward the empty side?
If it's okay, I found a decent video of the fuel pump/sender unit. It doesn't look like a very tough job.

Dang. I see the video is titled 2006 to 2009. Is the '05 different?
They're the same, 2005 was the first year. Should be 2005-2009. All I have to say is if you're going to follow a YouTube video make sure you pay attention very very well. If you mess one thing up even when it seems simple your car may never be the same again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There's a motor found on the back of your gauge cluster that wears down fairly quickly. It's a common problem found on the 2005-2006 Mustangs.

They're called, "Stepper Motors." They're cheap plastic motors that solder onto your cluster. Try this method before you invest a massive wad of cash.

stepper motors ford mustang | eBay
Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
We have a winner!

Thanks to everyone's suggestions and thoughts. In the end, my little issue was a $6 stepper motor for the gas gauge. Replaced it with some help from a YouTube video and all is well! Hard to believe it was that simple so thanks for the suggestions. Much better than the approach of a local Ford dealer saying they'd need to drop the entire tank to replace, etc. Thanks again!
tjpfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Good to know. 👍
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang