Noise from Differential? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Region: Europe
Noise from Differential?

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out. I live in Denmark and "newer" mustangs like my 06 is not that common here, so i figured i could try and ask you guys.

I bought a 2006 4.0 V6 auto a couple of weeks ago. It has about 124.000 miles on it, i don't know the service history of it.

It makes a really weird sound from the rear and i can force the sound doing 90-100 miles an hour. The sound is like when your tire touches the fenders, but at the height of the car, that's deffenetly not the issue

Today we lifted it at tried driving in free air (that was fun...) and the mechanic said it sounds like its comming from the rear differential. But the sound when we tested was more like a metallic chirping sound instead of the usual "rubber-meets-fender" sound.

Anyway, the oil is completly black in the diff. and should be changed no matter what. At the same time we will change the auto tranny oil.

Do you have any suggestions on what this sound could be? Maybe there is a known issue with the v6's you know better than me. It seems to follow the gas, meaning when i put it in neutral it will stop (mostly).

As mentioned it can be forced doing highway speeds but can also appear when doing 5-10 miles per hour randomly.

And at last, i found a local who is a distributor of Royal Purple, should i get that for the tranny and diff? How many liters do i need for the tranny and the diff? And are there any gasket and filters that needs replacement?
LowDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
It does seem pretty likely it's a bad rear dif, bad oil or low on oil. When you get the oil changed and find out its low you maybe able to get away with refilling it back to full to stop the noise.fresh fluid may do the trick if it's just a matter of old fluid causing higher friction. If there is a lot of metal shavings in the oil its likely the dif is near the end of its life. It likely just sounds different in the air since there is no load on the tires allowing the gears to chatter.Fast changes in load at low speed could explain why it noisy at low speeds at time. A mechanic could easily tell with it on a lift running around 50mph where the noise is coming from. It should get louder at higher speeds.

Royal purple trans fluid and dif oil is a premium fluid, but with a premium price tag. Any good synthetic will do though. They don't break down under the high temps in the transmission and rear end can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mhenry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Noise from Differential?

8.8 swap time! 👍

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 01:05 AM   #4

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhenry13 View Post
It does seem pretty likely it's a bad rear dif, bad oil or low on oil. When you get the oil changed and find out its low you maybe able to get away with refilling it back to full to stop the noise.fresh fluid may do the trick if it's just a matter of old fluid causing higher friction. If there is a lot of metal shavings in the oil its likely the dif is near the end of its life. It likely just sounds different in the air since there is no load on the tires allowing the gears to chatter.Fast changes in load at low speed could explain why it noisy at low speeds at time. A mechanic could easily tell with it on a lift running around 50mph where the noise is coming from. It should get louder at higher speeds.

Royal purple trans fluid and dif oil is a premium fluid, but with a premium price tag. Any good synthetic will do though. They don't break down under the high temps in the transmission and rear end can see.

Thanks a lot for your advise. Do you by any chance know how much oil that gois into the diff and gearbox? And also where do i buy a new gasket, i can see there are different sizes.
LowDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The diff takes 2 quarts and the auto trans takes around 12 quarts. If you change the fluid by draining it from the pan you will only be able to drain near half of that. Since these don't have a dipstick to check the auto trans fluid it's usually best to measure the fluid drained from the pan so you know near what amount to start with to put back in. From there you can top it off it it was low. Only way to get all the trans fluid changed is to get it flushed. When you change the trans fluid you will want to change the filter as well. The diff will have a gasket, but black oil resistant rtv gasket maker works just fine too.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

As far as where to buy the gasket if you are looking to by it online rockauto is a good one. Just make sure you get the 7.5 in rear end gasket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 V6 Mustang