Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What should I do?

• Buy it as soon as possible.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Leave it be and get an F-150.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Good year, Good model, find a better price.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Bad choice, better find a different year.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Needing an honest and forthright opinion.

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  thisiscraze 
#1 ·
I'm 19 and have been driving since before the age of 16, but I've been licensed since 16. I have found a 2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe with the 4.0 V6 engine. It's an automatic and it' currently for sale at $6,400 from a local dealer. It's got 71,00 miles on it and was wondering if I should make a move and attempt to buy this. I mostly plan on using this as my all in one vehicle, which is why I've found an older and smaller engine model. I've been in nothing but Ford's my entire life and wanted to know from the community what my next move should be.

#2 ·
The 4.0 v6 mustang is not a bad vehicle its reliable i bought one i have a 09 4.0 v6 mustang with just about full bolt ons and in 2 months i am buying a turbo i am building a rear turbo set up. The newer 3.7 are really good and the 5.0 are awsome so it depends what you can afford and what you want. I am happy with my v6.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Believe you me Native Power, I'd love to get something a little newer, not a fan of the third or fourth generation at all so I refuse to pick from 1979 to 2004. But I'm doing this all by myself. Financing and insurance, the whole shebang. So if I get the 2005 not only will my car payment be small but insurance as well.

#4 ·
idk the value of it but going with a decent lower price car like this is something I suggest to people in your position. I've seen folks your age (well, any age) spend way too much $ on cars they had the $ for but in honesty couldn't afford. If you are not comfortable with your car knowledge consider having someone check it out for you. Good luck and if you get it we expect pictures

Mud

#5 ·
If it been taken care of with the relatively low miles it could be a decent car. The biggest issue with this gen engine is the plastic thermostat housings. These are known to leak. I changed mine out 2 times until I got tired of it and found a aluminum housing. Other than that mine has been very reliable. If you are sure about the car the best bet would to get it inspected by a mechanic you can trust before buying.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
It is fairly easy for us to tell you our opinions about a specific car. Whether or not that car will be a good fit for you, is a personal decision that only you, or someone who knows you very well, could make an informed decision about.
I see that you have a pickup truck as one of the choices. If you think that you may need a truck, then you will be sorely disappointed with a Mustang. The payload capacity is dismal compared to that of a truck!

#7 ·
I'm not a big fan of buying a used car from a dealer, they usually want top dollar and you have no idea what yoiu are getting. I would look for a one owner car and preferabley someone that is a little order, better chance he has taken care of the car and not beat the crap out of it. Don't be in a hurry to buy the first one yiou see, take your time and look around.

#8 ·
I bought a 2005 v6 mustang manual transmission. 3rd owner. Take the mustang to a mechanic you trust. Check all the fluids. Have him check everything. Remember this is going to be your daily driver. The drive shaft is a piece of junk. I don't know how much money you have for upkeep. With that many miles you'll fine suspension probably wore out. After you have taken the mustang to the mechanic & have a list what is worn or needs replaced. Show the list to the dealer & argue for a better price. If they won't deal. Walk away.

#10 ·
I think the idea of buying what you can afford is certainly the way to go, and it looks like you've narrowed the choice down. I'm with Straybullitt, if a truck is in your list maybe you should rethink what your priorities are. Having a pickup as your everyday driver...I'm not fan unless you are thinking of an older 2WD or 4WD and even then the gas mileage isn't going to be great although the insurance should be dirt cheap.
The one thing about buying from a "reputable" dealer is that there is a warranty. The warranty may not be all inclusive but it does give some assurances where buying from a private party gives "non". When I was younger I always bought from private parties but I knew the guys and was well aware of what I was getting...IMHO

#11 ·
I'm extremely interested in what type of warranty a reputable dealer gives on a 13 year old car with 71,000 miles on it. If you go back and look at this car again please let us know what it is. I haven't bought a used car in years but maybe I will start.

#16 ·
A 99-04 GT should not be more than $50 a month basic liability unless you drive like an *** and have a ton of points.

#18 ·
Full coverage for me is like $65 lol, and that's to drive it in Europe. I dunno try a diff company or just wait till you are 25+ for a GT. I had to pay $140/mo in a cheap state when I had my 95 Cobra back in 2003 as a 22 year old. That was a LOT back then but was single and had 0 other bills besides a 200 minute cell phone plan (with free nights and weekends so call me after 9!) lol.

As far as the OP and using the Mustang as a "catch all" vehicle... I wouldn't. Been there done that, every single time I thought I could do it I got a beater hatch or wagon or something. My situation right now actually and I'm already looking for a beater here to be ready to go before the Stang gets here with the shipping company.

Now as far as reliability... 4.0 is reliable, the manual T5 trans is reliable at that power level and so is the rest of the drivetrain. The 05-09 is one of the most underrated looking Mustangs there is IMO and I've seen some REALLY nice looking V6s around the last place I lived in NJ. However... don't expect them to be legit fast without sinking more money into one than it would cost to sell and buy a GT. Tune, gears, shifter, suspension and they are something like 200-225 to the wheels, fun and cheapish... they just don't get great gas mileage compared to the newer sixxers.

#19 ·
If you want cheap and reliable, the 4.0 v6 is a good choice. If you want cheap, reliable and fun however, my suggestion is always miata.

The miata is dirt cheap to work on and service too. Tires are like $300 a set, i changed every fluid in the car, did a valve cover gasket, and spark plugs for like $200... They're a good car to get you going and easy to keep going, and they're just a ridiculous amount of fun. Of course we're getting very off topic now and everyone will chime in with their opinion of what is the best car, but i digress.

#20 ·
Miata=most fun you'll ever have with 160hp. In a car anyway...

#23 ·
Well then there is always a FC RX7 for cheaps with the turbo rear, swap in a 4.8 or 5.3 truck engine and T-56 and retarded fast car for next to nothing.

#25 ·
Honest opinion from my perspective. If the body looks in good condition, I would go with it. So I own 2 mustangs, a 12 Boss 302 and an 06 4.0 v6.

The mustang I drive the most is my 4.0. Cheaper on gas and more comfortable then the boss. Also less maintenance, I have 120,000 miles on it and it's only been in the garage once for the coolent hose issue, the plastic housing melting through. My Boss has been in the shop about 3 times in my 2 years of owning. I fill my 4.0 up about every 3 weeks. Auto transmission makes it more enjoyable for daily driver. Tires are also cheaper, $600 for high quality tires. My boss cost $1,200 for cheap tires. Oil on the 4.0 is cheap, easy to do yourself. I have driven my 4.0 21 hours straight from Indiana to New Mexico. Driven it in cold weather of negatives to the hot New Mexico 100s. Zero issues. Extremely reliable engine.

Cons, it's not fast. But I love the 05-09 body style the most. I can always give you more opinion if you want!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.