2011 V6 Convertible Preformance Package - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
2011 V6 Convertible Preformance Package

I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 V6 Mustang Convertible and I wanted to add the performance package. Dealer says that this is not possible; performance package is for the coupe only. Anyone have any insight into this? Why coupe only? Any way around this without having to purchase each component separately?
Thank you
DACriss
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: 2011 V6 Convertible Preformance Package

More than likely because of the suspension parts that come with it, such as the strut tower brace and front and rear stabilizer bars.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Brace and bars should fit the convertible? As should all the other componets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacriss View Post
Brace and bars should fit the convertible? As should all the other componets!
Verts are heavier, so the same settings for the coupes won't translate to the heavier vert. They will transfer over but it may throw the car all out of whack because of the weight. Either that or you just won't get the performance out of them that your supposed to. I would think that would include shocks, struts, and lowering.
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can probably buy the parts yourself and install them and save money vs paying ford to do it if you wish to have the package on your vert. When new vehicles come out their parts are generally cheap contact tousleyfordparts.com about the prices of the items in the kit to get an idea at how much they will be.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering if the additional weight made a differance, but it still does not add up. Convertible is only 250 lbs heavier than the coupe. Ford offers the convertible in both the GT and Shelby GT500 models. Don't have part numbers to see if both of these model use different stuts and bars than the coupe's; I would have a hard time buying that Ford has a complete different set-ups for the GT and Shelby GT500 convertibles than the coupes. Can't be a safety or stability thing, as the convertible is offered all the way up to the Shelby GT500. Price wise an additional $2K at purchase is better than over $2K buying it one part at a time.
Anyone have any insight into Ford Motor Company?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I would be willing to bet that someone in the Ford design department looked at the cost vs. reward of offering the performance package on the convertibles...Very few people buy a convertible for "performance" which means they aren't likely to sell a lot of convertibles with the performance package...If they don't think they will make money on it, they won't offer it...

Convertibles have weight issues & they don't handle particularly well because there is a lot of flex in the chassis due the the lack of roof...Because of these issues, convertibles are more often driven for a certain "look" rather than pure performance...If you want a performance vehicle, you'd buy a coupe...which is why the performance package is offered on coupes...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

my vert has different strut/shock valving and spring rates vs the coupe
Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Good points (and this is just my thoughts and not an attack.) until you look at the GT convertible and the Shelby GT500 convertible. Granted coupes are more ridged and get more out of the performance package. Instead of on track performance, I'm thinking more of agility for when that a sleep drive pulls in front of me or for when I drive from Portland Oregon to the coast. Granted that it may be a bean counter that feels one should step up to the GT if you want GT handling (Just like someone at Ford feels that no body should have any other interior but black with the Grabber Blue exterior paint). I just don't see the point of not offering the handling package with the V6 convertible and make it some what comparable to the GT convertible in the handling department (not to mention that 3.73 gears would help on the take off.) Then again I would like to have the stone interior with the grabber blue exterior and the Brembo brake package.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #10

Let's not forget that convertibles are inherently a performance compromise. They are heavier than their coupe counterparts, and not as aerodynamic. Anybody who considers performance all-important would be well served to start with a coupe. Ford surely knows this and offers the package accordingly.
fordguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguygt View Post
Let's not forget that convertibles are inherently a performance compromise. They are heavier than their coupe counterparts, and not as aerodynamic. Anybody who considers performance all-important would be well served to start with a coupe. Ford surely knows this and offers the package accordingly.
Yeah.. But it's nice to have both for us people who can't afford two cars. My mind is bigger than my budget. The convertibles are fun and I wouldn't trade mine. I would get both a coupe and convertible to be honest. One of these days.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea it all depends on what you want. If you want a fun weekend car an 03/04 cobra is probably the best bang for the buck period, but if you have to have new then the 2011 v6 isnt bad, but gas mileage in town is not great on them.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: 2011 V6 Convertible Preformance Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguygt View Post
I wouldn't put to much faith in this statement, other wise why would Ford offer the convertible in the GT and Shelby packages? More than likely the bean counters figured that if you were thinking of the performance package you would step up to the GT. If you look at if from Ford's bean counter point of view, how many convertibles are sold to coupes? Of these convertibles how many are going to be V6 and not GT's? Of the V6's what is the possibility that someone would want the performance package? Can we sell enough performance packages to make a profit? In the tight economy, sales numbers lead the way. I figure that a lighter engine, close to the same Hp as the old V8 and a lower center of gravity a performance up grade to the suspension would not be a bad idea; I would pay for it. But Like I said I would like the Brembo brakes also; you can always use better braking and handling. As it is I would have to option out the V6 from over the Ford parts counter.

Hope to have it ordered by end of September.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to MrTibbij

Unless things have changed since i originally ordered a car in may....

The ford dealer said that the performance package will not be available for the V6 from the factory this model year. He said that it has shown to much potential in competing with the GT which is the model in which they actually make their money and that ford is holding the option back to see how the market lays out with the new platforms. The purpose of releasing the performance package optioned V6 to the testing companies was to stir up hype and show the potential of the V6 as a valid sports car.

This could have changed with all the uproar it seemed to have cause at the dealers around my area. Every person I asked about it seemed to have multiple customers that were annoyed enough to start harassing ford about it, and the dealer was more then happy to give me a number to call and complain.

As far as me, I would probably have stuck with my original V6 if they offered the performance package. Since its a little lighter, most testers have said the car feels more agile and track oriented then the GT. The only package I saw was a GT package which is nothing more then an appearance facade.
MrTibbij is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2011 v6