2011 v6 premium, coupe or a convertible? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Region: California
Hello,

I am new here and new with the mustang community. I am thinking of buy a mustang real soon, but I am confused what to buy the v6 convertible or the coupe? What is the good thing and the bad thing about the convertible. For me it sure looks nicer when opened than tr coupe and I think the feeling when driving it is also much nicer, but will I be bored when driving the convertible after a while, will it be noisy when driving it when the covet is on, or you really don't know the difference? Also the price for a coupe when compared with a convertible that has exactly the same feature e.g pony package, is 5000$ less than a convertible.

What do you think I should get and what do you recommend.

Also, to put some light on it, I live in Cali, San Diego to be exact, and the whether is amazing
Thanks.
Mkmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: 2011 v6 premium, coupe or a convertible?

Coupe
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmustang View Post
Hello,

I am new here and new with the mustang community. I am thinking of buy a mustang real soon, but I am confused what to buy the v6 convertible or the coupe? What is the good thing and the bad thing about the convertible. For me it sure looks nicer when opened than tr coupe and I think the feeling when driving it is also much nicer, but will I be bored when driving the convertible after a while, will it be noisy when driving it when the covet is on, or you really don't know the difference? Also the price for a coupe when compared with a convertible that has exactly the same feature e.g pony package, is 5000$ less than a convertible.

What do you think I should get and what do you recommend.

Also, to put some light on it, I live in Cali, San Diego to be exact, and the whether is amazing
Thanks.
i would get coupe,convertable is kinda girly.i'm sure there's going to be a few people pissed off about what i just said.it's all about what u really want.
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I agree with mike they are just a little girly and I have one But from experience I can say that a coupe would be better convertibles have lots of road noise...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Only real men drive Verts. Those others are just wishing they had a convertible. I like both-- I love my vert on a nice day, I hate it on long trips, and driving a vert everyday is somewhat of an itch, since I drive almost 250-300 miles a week.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

depends on where u live, how u will use the car, and personal preference. if u live in a warm sunny place all the time like socal, texas, or florida the vert is a nice choice. anywhere other than that and u will have limited enjoyability for a car that costs significantly more. so the extra money you spent on vert wont make its way back to you. if you place on using the car to just cruise around with your hair blowing in the wind go for the vert. if ur going to mod it up with an exhaust the VERY last thing you want is that noise from the exhaust to kill your eardrums over time (top down or not). and aerodynamically speaking the coupe is noticeably faster. and lastly your personal preference. If you admire the feeling you get of open top driving with the wind in ur hair and sun on ur face then you know what to get. but if u would rather be comfortable and enjoy the sound of a shaker 1000 stereo with the windows up so it can really "shake" (pun intended) your car then the coupe is for you. if your gonna be alone most of the time in the car then driving with the top down alone looks kinda lonely IMO. think of the color car you want and find pics of them online. and most importantly take both for a test drive. No one can tell you which is better, you have to decide that on your own.

one last thing. the only reason i would get a vert is so that i can finally say, "i dont say the top is down, i say the titties are out"
mylilpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ONE MORE THING. Convertibles are a lot harder to handle because they dont have the rigidity that a coupe provide with a chassis AND a solid roof. a roof is basically a second chassis for your car. it keeps it together through turns much better.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

mylilpny is correct in most of his observations and yes look very closely how you are going to be using it. The coverts are also more heavy with structural re-enforcements, but yet flex more in the twisty's. If you plan on racing it (road or track), they are not as fast. Converts also at some point or another will leak. You also stand the chance of someone slashing the top just because or to get inside. It has yet another 100 or so parts that can go wrong. At hi-way speeds it’s not the most pleasant. But I live in the NW and some say a convert is not the most useful. But you will find that after a hard day at work with a clear sunny sky (no mater what the temp); it's a great stress reliever. That is why I bought the convert and the drives to the coast or mountains.
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I would go with coupe
I've never really cared for the look of convertibles and to me they come with more hassle than anything
and i think they are a little girly too
no offense

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpny View Post
depends on where u live, how u will use the car, and personal preference. if u live in a warm sunny place all the time like socal, texas, or florida the vert is a nice choice. anywhere other than that and u will have limited enjoyability for a car that costs significantly more. so the extra money you spent on vert wont make its way back to you. if you place on using the car to just cruise around with your hair blowing in the wind go for the vert. if ur going to mod it up with an exhaust the VERY last thing you want is that noise from the exhaust to kill your eardrums over time (top down or not). and aerodynamically speaking the coupe is noticeably faster. and lastly your personal preference. If you admire the feeling you get of open top driving with the wind in ur hair and sun on ur face then you know what to get. but if u would rather be comfortable and enjoy the sound of a shaker 1000 stereo with the windows up so it can really "shake" (pun intended) your car then the coupe is for you. if your gonna be alone most of the time in the car then driving with the top down alone looks kinda lonely IMO. think of the color car you want and find pics of them online. and most importantly take both for a test drive. No one can tell you which is better, you have to decide that on your own.

one last thing. the only reason i would get a vert is so that i can finally say, "i dont say the top is down, i say the titties are out"
i can't read all that ,sorry lol
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Test drive both. There is compensation-structurally-in the `vert ( more steel )to somewhat compensate for 'missing' structural unit ( roof ), in the coupe. You probably weren't considering 'taking the car to the track'- anyway. Southern California would be a great place to have the option of taking the top down. It's your car-and your choice. Good luck, welcome, and send in pictures of your new Mustang!
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

BTW the coupe guys are little more jealous of the verts, because face is "CHICKS DIG CONVERTABLES", especially in SoCal.
Not just an opinion, found it true when I had a spider in my younger days.
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Vert. You can go just as fast on the street as a coupe...and you can do it with the top down. All this talk of road noise...if you can hear road noise you don't have the right exhaust system.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Vert. You can go just as fast on the street as a coupe...and you can do it with the top down. All this talk of road noise...if you can hear road noise you don't have the right exhaust system.
+1
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

+1
+1 more. But why V6? Just wondering.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think the GT coupe is about the price of the vert v6... So if you decide to go coupe make sure there's a 5.0 in it
Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #17

Region: Nevada
Good question. I traded a roadster in for my 11 Mustang V6 coupe. I loved the roadster but it wasn't for me anymore and I love the choice I made. The coupe is very quiet inside and much more pleasant on long trips. When I take the car for a wash, it doesn't leak at the roof (like the roadster did). The other side of the coin is that you are in San Diego (one of my kids lives there), and the weather there is PERFECT for a ragtop.

Bottom line is that you won't go wrong with either choice just as long as it is a 2011 Mustang!

Let us know what you get and post pics.
Cornholio123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Loud exhausts sound great but with the top down all the time you will hate yourself. Forget ever having a conversation while the car is moving. +1 to the comment about a v6 vert equaling the price of a 5.0 coupe. That 5.0 will give u much more bang for your buck. An extra 100 hp never hurt anyone.... maybe it has but thats not important lol
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to JB3nd3r

I'd go with the coupe... but I've never been a fan of verts
JB3nd3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Loud exhausts sound great but with the top down all the time you will hate yourself. Forget ever having a conversation while the car is moving. +1 to the comment about a v6 vert equaling the price of a 5.0 coupe. That 5.0 will give u much more bang for your buck. An extra 100 hp never hurt anyone.... maybe it has but thats not important lol
Not sure what you're talking about not having a convo in a vert. My exhaust is easily 120+ decibles cruising...with the top down there is no issue what so ever having conversations while listening to the radio. And I ride with the top down as much as possible....just ask the people I made ride that wy when it was 40-50* out. lol
Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

Not sure what you're talking about not having a convo in a vert. My exhaust is easily 120+ decibles cruising...with the top down there is no issue what so ever having conversations while listening to the radio. And I ride with the top down as much as possible....just ask the people I made ride that wy when it was 40-50* out. lol
I had no idea ur exhaust was louder than a jet engine.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm

Good job.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpny

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm

Good job.
Sound volume is relative to distance, for example the volume of a jet engine can measure 120 dB at 100 feet away but a loud car exhaust can exceed that if measured 1 inch from the exhaust pipe... Which is explained in the article you posted.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

My fart can be 100 decibels. This is refering to a practical POV. do u drive with ur ear to the exhaust? No. Therefore the noise u hear with the top down is definitely not 120db from the driver seat.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:

HowStuffWorks "What is a decibel and how is it measured?"

Good job.
I know it's a good job. Let me ride by you at full throttle and you will agree it was a good job as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Some people just are not convertible people. Most dont realize when its summer out... the car gets HOT when its cold out... the car gets COLD. Its part of it. If you would leave the top up when its nice out because its to hot, your hair will get messed up, its to loud, or some other BS excuse... dont buy one. Nothing is worse than driving around in perfect weather and you see 10 verts with only ONE that has the top down WTF is that...

As said some are vert people and some are not. The newness WILL wear off and only those that actually like convertibles will still be left that will actually use the top. You need to figure out if you want it because its "cool" or because you will actually use it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Some people just are not convertible people. Most dont realize when its summer out... the car gets HOT when its cold out... the car gets COLD. Its part of it. If you would leave the top up when its nice out because its to hot, your hair will get messed up, its to loud, or some other BS excuse... dont buy one. Nothing is worse than driving around in perfect weather and you see 10 verts with only ONE that has the top down WTF is that...

As said some are vert people and some are not. The newness WILL wear off and only those that actually like convertibles will still be left that will actually use the top. You need to figure out if you want it because its "cool" or because you will actually use it.
Agreed. Youre either a vert person or a coupe person. Test drive both and find out who you are. You live in cali so a vert will be a nice option almost year round but you still need to know if youre a vert person or not. End of story
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

I agree here as well. When I had my '85 Vert, I NEVER, put the top up in the summertime. Hot or not. No A/C, so that was another reason. If it was raining, I would just drive the truck I had then and the Vert would stay in the garage with the top still down.
Wish I could do the same with the one I have now but with the Cobra in the garage, I'll have to put the top up when it rains.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpny

+1 on the final statement.
Black_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2011 v6