Warranty question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Warranty question

I am thinking about getting a cai for my 2011 v6 but I don't know if it will void my warranty. Does anybody know if installing an aftermarket cai will or will not void my warranty?
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Warranty question

I think it will
but im not sure
never had a warranty on my stang

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

If they can directly relate it to the problem with the vehicle. CAI are usually easily relatable and take the blame often. It causes more than you can imagine. If warranty is your concern do not do the mod. Exhaust is different and won't cause you any issues unless you eliminate the catalytic converters.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100
I am thinking about getting a cai for my 2011 v6 but I don't know if it will void my warranty. Does anybody know if installing an aftermarket cai will or will not void my warranty?
I wouldn't think so. Best bet would be to talk to the dealer about it.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
I wouldn't think so. Best bet would be to talk to the dealer about it.
The only viable option is having a Ford/FRPP CAI installed. They may not honor the engine warranty if you have an after market product. Especially with Ext. Warranties. I denies Chrysler claims based on CAIs commonly.

But he's right... go talk to your dealer and Service Department. Be sure and speak with the Service Manager.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend
If they can directly relate it to the problem with the vehicle. CAI are usually easily relatable and take the blame often. It causes more than you can imagine. If warranty is your concern do not do the mod. Exhaust is different and won't cause you any issues unless you eliminate the catalytic converters.
If i were to convert my 2010 exhaust into a dual exhaust, wld i still not have any issues with warranty?
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help I'll call my dealer and ask.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Its one of those things you have to be careful with~

Just the CAI wont void the warranty BUT the 2011 may require a tune which will void the warranty. Any modification you do if you have an issue they cant just blame it on that, it has to be proven that the modification DID The damage or replaced a part that modifies the damaged part. Keep in mind dealerships may not care and you cant fight and win.. so its pretty much up to the dealership how they treat it.

You can always unload the tune/put the stock intake on when you take it in for service. Just change the oil yourself and you wont have to go in there very often anyway.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #9

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
Just read a few minutes ago the Steeda is about three weeks away from releasing their CAI and Tune kit for the 2011+ V6 model. They posted a pic of the prototype and the dyno chart. It added 20HP and 30 ftlb of torque at the rear wheel - looked real good to me!

I am close to ordering a V6 so I am very interested also...

PS My thoughts on the warranty issue you raised: if an issue would ever arise where you needed to take it in, pull the CAI off and reflash the stock tune back into the ECM - easey peasey!
Storm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I would wait on some real world results, not sure you would see that big of a hp gain but you never know... I dont really trust manuf claims.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Its one of those things you have to be careful with~

Just the CAI wont void the warranty BUT the 2011 may require a tune which will void the warranty. Any modification you do if you have an issue they cant just blame it on that, it has to be proven that the modification DID The damage or replaced a part that modifies the damaged part. Keep in mind dealerships may not care and you cant fight and win.. so its pretty much up to the dealership how they treat it.

You can always unload the tune/put the stock intake on when you take it in for service. Just change the oil yourself and you wont have to go in there very often anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm75 View Post
Just read a few minutes ago the Steeda is about three weeks away from releasing their CAI and Tune kit for the 2011+ V6 model. They posted a pic of the prototype and the dyno chart. It added 20HP and 30 ftlb of torque at the rear wheel - looked real good to me!

I am close to ordering a V6 so I am very interested also...

PS My thoughts on the warranty issue you raised: if an issue would ever arise where you needed to take it in, pull the CAI off and reflash the stock tune back into the ECM - easey peasey!
Reflashing the ECMs done always erase previous data. Espescially on later model vehicles. We are starting to see these issues at Dodge. The Can/Bus systems of the vehicles are starting to have a lot more information stored in them. Espescially devices that can detect information such as that. I'm just giving you a fair warning.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yup very true, they can see if a tune has been on there in many cases if they care enough to check. Ford sometimes offers kits that keep warranty when installed at an authorized dealer.... they need to get up with the time and realize a tune is needed to keep it all safe so they should offer some sort of system to manage that.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
yup very true, they can see if a tune has been on there in many cases if they care enough to check. Ford sometimes offers kits that keep warranty when installed at an authorized dealer.... they need to get up with the time and realize a tune is needed to keep it all safe so they should offer some sort of system to manage that.
Ford isn't exactly in the business for Aftermarket Tuning. As you and I both know there are too many variables in this area for error and Ford would be taking a leap of faith in the aftermarket industry. Not to mention the milliions of potential dollars in warranty claims that could cost them. Most manufactures are moving away from this type of problems!

Note: Dodge as explain previously. Also, I was talking to a local tuner in regards to the Camaros and he was explaining to me the hundreds of tables he has to modify for an Automatic Camaro (late models). He said some of the tunes can take a full day to run through the Trans Tables.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I called my dealer and they said that it WILL void the warranty

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang