Car Show - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Car Show

I'm planning on entering my mustang in car shows for mainly its appearance. Is there anything I need to know of before I do so? Such as basic rules and is there anything I should add to make it more eye catching or is it already a looker?
Black_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Maybe give her a good wax and some tire polish and you should be set dude
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Car Show

ive been doing shows for many many years with my 97 V6, my 01 V6, and now my 03 Cobra... the basics are the car needs to be very clean outside AND inside. Dont forget the MOTOR its not to be missed, keep it wiped off and clean when you normally clean the car and it wont ever get dirty... keep that in mind.

Clean the rims good, wait until you get to the show to put tire shine on the car (it slings off). Dont use Armoral on the interior, use something like Meguiars interior detailer (no grease).

Dont put stuff animals and stupid crap on your car, they want to look AT the car not the stupid crap you pile on it.

Buy a couple chairs (the round ones that are in bags work great) to sit by the car with.

buy a california car duster, they are AMAZING. When new they have wax crap so wash em or break it in good and dust the car every now and then as needed... trust me its a LIFE SAVER on a dark car.

buy or get a little plastic container and keep your cleaners/rags in it keep the tire shine etc sep from the normal rags you dont want that streaking the car.

there are all types of people at shows, nice ones that love cars and like to talk about them, idiots who have no clue (humor them no need to try and correct them as...who really cars if they are stupid), and people who put down everything...

Dont be put off if you dont win a trophy/plaque... its only good for collecting dust and technically its the cars anyway ha ... shows are generally all for a good cause so keep that in mind.

Get there early, dont wait until 10 min before registration is over, earlier you get there the better spot probably and the quicker you can get the car cleaned/ready before it gets hot out (well not now but in the summer time it matters)

sun screen... you may need it

thats about it, once you get a few mods you can create some sort of mod list~ thats always good to see.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome! That was all so helpful. Thanks a lot! Where is the best place to pick up all these supplies? And do you recommend a certain brand or type of rag to use?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

Dont put stuff animals and stupid crap on your car, they want to look AT the car not the stupid crap you pile on it.
You mean like this, because I don't go anywhere without R.F.

rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've also been showing for quite some time. When cleaning the car I found the day before it's best to take the wheels off and clean inside the wheels well. This also allows you to clean the brakes and back side of your wheels. I have found that the more attention to detail the better your chances. GOOD LUCK, car shows are great, good clean fun.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf73 View Post
You mean like this, because I don't go anywhere without R.F.
ha... i mean like all on the hood and stuff
Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Also what do the judges look at the most? From y'all's personal experience?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Its 100% up to the show, you generally know categories before you go and they could group all Fords together, or all Mustangs, or do it by year it depends on the size of the show.

The judging can be as simple as a couple people walking around and choosing what they personally like best (not very good way to go).

I like shows that do a point system. They judge different areas like engine, interior, exterior, etc and each area has X points (usually totals to 100 points). If you have dirt, or something is not right its deductions and the final scores work out to who gets what~ that generally works but only when its a bigger class of cars together... but this can lead to multiple 3rd, 2nd, 1st place vehicles etc~

Most local shows get a couple people that know vehicles rather good to walk around and judge the cars overall and just kinda pick whats best. Dont expect to win if you are lumped in with old classics etc and all that.

I like to go to Ford only or Mustang shows for this reason as you get classified with your car types.. you wont be put with Shelbys, Cobras, etc.

I would contact those holding the show and ask them how they are judging, if they sound like they have no clue then just expect it to be laid back and kinda pointless lol... the most shinny and older cars generally when in this setup

clean the CRAP out of your car and you should do fine if you get in a good class. I won plenty of trophy's with my V6s due to how clean and nice they were kept. I would HIGHLY recommend going to an good MCA show (judged points correct classes, ONLY mustangs) mustang.org for event schedules. Next would be local Mustang club shows, they do a better job on judging Fords. You also dont see as many V6's at shows compared to V8's just think about it~ most dont show V6s so you will be in a smaller crowd that can work to your advantage. Its a great hobby and great way to keep the car up and nice.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Alright sweet! I'm looking at a registration form for an all Ford car show in Houston and it asks for how many modifications I have. Does that include roush fascia, splitters, valence, billet grill. stripes, and my hood vent or does it generally mean like engine mods and exhaust?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you can list any changes you have made
Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
you can list any changes you have made
Okay cool. It's a lot different registering into a car show then just going to view haha.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

i dont think they actually use that info~ they may but im not sure
Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What are some inexpensive things that I can do to the engine to make it look nicer then just plain engine?
LuvMyMustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMustangGT View Post
What are some inexpensive things that I can do to the engine to make it look nicer then just plain engine?
I would say CAI
makes it look a little nicer and I like the sound

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMustangGT View Post
There are some engine dressup pieces you can do if you want some chrome accents. Oil caps, radiator covers, stainless steel lines, etc.

Honestly, I've always liked a well maintained stock engine bay over all that chromed up crap. Some chrome accents look good, but when you look at an engine and the goddamn thing blinds you, it's ridiculous...two words come to mind...show queen.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah the biggest thing about car shows it to have a good time and appreciate all the great cars. Don't worry about the competition and the trophies...keep your car clean and well maintained, that's all that matters.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Thanks for your advice. I'm looking forward to April 30th. We're entering in a local show. Proceeds go to Make A Wish. To do what we love by showing off our cars and being able to help others is awesome!
LuvMyMustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but don't go over the top, too much of billet, chrome, accent color becomes overwhelming.
I would say in my opinion do what you thinks looks good, clean the heck out of the car and sit around taking in the compliments.
HAVE A GOOD TIME!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

How long before the show should I wax my car? And what's the best washing products that y'all know of (include brands); and what should I use to clean my engine?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I use all meguiars products and love them. I polish the car the night before and then once I get to the show I do another quick touch up with the "ultimate detailer". It's in a spray bottle and so simple, spray on wipe off with a clean cloth.
I clean the engine with a pressure washer being careful not to put the full pressure on the sensitive areas. Once that's done I use a regular towel to wipe it down. I use the meguiars tire shine, it looks like grape syrup, and put a coat on all the black plastic and rubber. Makes everything look brand new and shiny clean.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Just make sure it is waxed and if you are planning on having the hood open be sure to clean the motor up real good and if you are really into it make sure the rims are cleaned on the inside aswell as the out side , I wash my car at least twice a month because nothing is worse thing is worse than driving a dirty car . ( my wife thinks I love my stang more than her) but thats the way I am I hate driving a dirty car inside or out.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang