No Spare - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
No Spare

Hey guys (and gals),

I am new to this site/club, but I just bought a 2011 v6 Premium 2 weeks ago and noticed that there is no spare tire, only a flat repair kit. Oddly enough, I noticed that the GT comes with a spare so I wondered if anyone knew why the v6 didn't and/or have any suggestions on where to go for a good full sized spare or junk yard part(s)?

That said, I love the car. I had been driving a 1990 Honda Accord so you can imagine how much fun I've been having Part of me still wishes I had gotten a stick since I still feel like sports car = stick, but having the AT in Atlanta traffic has been pretty nice.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Re: No Spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Hey guys (and gals),

I am new to this site/club, but I just bought a 2011 v6 Premium 2 weeks ago and noticed that there is no spare tire, only a flat repair kit. Oddly enough, I noticed that the GT comes with a spare so I wondered if anyone knew why the v6 didn't and/or have any suggestions on where to go for a good full sized spare or junk yard part(s)?

That said, I love the car. I had been driving a 1990 Honda Accord so you can imagine how much fun I've been having Part of me still wishes I had gotten a stick since I still feel like sports car = stick, but having the AT in Atlanta traffic has been pretty nice.
Y oh Y oh Y didn't U get the V8, I am soooooooooo mad at you now.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The v8 was tons of fun, but it was a speeding ticket waiting to happen. Plus, my wife and I are trying to save for a house. 6 grand is a nice chunk to save

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Hey guys (and gals),

did you ask the dealer,and i'm sure you can buy a spare it will cost you tho.good luck
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the dealer said it would be around $500 (!) for a new spare and jack through the dealership. He cited the "free" 24/7 roadside assistance for 5 years/60k miles, but to me it's still a bit ridiculous. Maybe it wasn't included to cut down on weight? I've just never heard of a car without a spare or donut or something. A flat repair is no good if you have a total blowout...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005
Hey guys (and gals),

My 55k mustang DIDN'T come with a spare.
11SHELBYGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

If I remember correctly my buddys SRT8 didn't come with a spare either but that might have to do with the trunk mounted battery.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

My spare won't fit over my front brakes...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Did it have runflats? My 'vette has no spare, because it had runflat tires.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
Did it have runflats? My 'vette has no spare, because it had runflat tires.
Not sure if they're run flats, but it does have a tire repair kit in the trunk well. I guess I am just old school?

Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina

I don't have one in mine either....
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

Not sure if they're run flats, but it does have a tire repair kit in the trunk well. I guess I am just old school?
The 2011-12's have run-flats. I was wondering the same thing when I got mine last year. The only thing that comes in the trunk is the small compressor if the tire becomes low.
2011Rushracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, guys. I have the Pirelli P-Zeros with the MCA package. Of course, I should say that I just switched to a Mustang from a 1990 Honda Accord so I haven't exactly been buying and selling a lot of different cars
Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Hey guys (and gals),

Checked mine last night, only an air compressor, not even a flat repair kit.
avengnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I had a total flat about a month ago and I had to call roadside assistance, the compressor does also have a sealant green goo but no jack or spare
aurelio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelio23 View Post
I had a total flat about a month ago and I had to call roadside assistance, the compressor does also have a sealant green goo but no jack or spare
Was the response pretty good?
avengnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it was, I got my flat like at 4am so it was good actually
Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That is good to know. I just feel weird relying on someone else to come take care of my flat/blowout. Now, if I have multiple tire issues, that is another story

Just figured any prospective buyers should be aware of this.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

True but a spare would of been nice,
Old 05-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelio23
Yes it was, I got my flat like at 4am so it was good actually
Nice good to know.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelio23
True but a spare would of been nice,
Agree!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So far, I've used the compressor portion of the flat repair kit to air up other people's tires with ease. I haven't needed to use the sealant or compressor on my tires yet, but seeing how well it aired up tires on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I don't really have any worries.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

Quote:
That is good to know. I just feel weird relying on someone else to come take care of my flat/blowout. Now, if I have multiple tire issues, that is another story

Just figured any prospective buyers should be aware of this.
Get a plug and patch kit from your local Autozone, Advance Auto if you have one, this kit should also come with glue you will do the plugging of the punctured tire yourself, sit until it dries and sets for a few minutes and then inflate. That's your spare tire. I have one of those kits in my glove compartment.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the v8 with the brembo pkg has no spare either I do believe.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #25

I went down to Walmart and bought a tire repair kit with the rubber "worms", I've fixed flats with them for years. I don't trust the sealant nearly as much.
I may go down and buy a jack and tire at the junk yard one of these days, but I've never used the spare in my wife's 2005 Stang in 81000 miles, or the one on my truck with 161000 miles.
ronhawk62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea a little cheap tire plug kit works good
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911 View Post
Get a plug and patch kit from your local Autozone, Advance Auto if you have one, this kit should also come with glue you will do the plugging of the punctured tire yourself, sit until it dries and sets for a few minutes and then inflate. That's your spare tire. I have one of those kits in my glove compartment.
Good to know...I've never done the plug thing. I HAVE, however, had to change two tires after high speed blowouts on my POS Honda. I guess it all comes down to personal experiences because I've never had a flat that was repairable. I really should've changed out all 4 tires because those TigerPaws I bought for that Honda turned out to be a steaming pile...

With these higher quality tires, I don't anticipate any problems, but I'll check that out.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Tire plug kits work good.. we use them on construction equipment, trailers and trucks... Don't buy the cheap kit...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Yeah, the dealer said it would be around $500 (!) for a new spare and jack through the dealership. He cited the "free" 24/7 roadside assistance for 5 years/60k miles, but to me it's still a bit ridiculous. Maybe it wasn't included to cut down on weight? I've just never heard of a car without a spare or donut or something. A flat repair is no good if you have a total blowout...
I am a Ford man, but they could at least furnish a spare tire. An after market wheel,tire and jack will not cost $500.00. Dealerships rip you off on parts.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #30

Region: Pennsylvania

A tire kit is great as long as its a simple puncture and you catch it before you run the tire very long. Such as when you come out from a store and see you have a flat.

That has never happened to me in a car.

The flats I have had have been either hitting crater potholes and blowing out the tire/bending the rim or a high speed blowout kind of thing.

The "tire mobility kit" will do NOTHING in those cases...so you will be stuck waiting for the "complimentary roadside service" folks to come rescue you and tow you to a dealer to get an expensive repair.

Ask them if they will take you to a Mr. Tire or something. Betcha they wont.

As I posted in another thread, Ford didnt do this to save weight. They did it to save money.

They can still charge $25k for a base v6 (like the one we bought) and save a hundred bucks or so in tire tools and spare.

And people buy into the "weight savings" thing.

If its simply for weight savings, give me the spare tire and wheel and I will decide when I need to shave that weight to gain a fraction better economy or speed, or when to have it and have the peace of mind of knowing I will not be at someone else's mercy when I have a flat tire.

Some have also said that it could be due to liabilit yor safety concerns....as in "its dangerous to be on the side of the road changing a tire".

Puhlease.

So how does the "tire mobility kit" help in the safety area? Still have to service the tire on the side of the road....IF it works.

Love the car, hate the BS that Ford and other companies are pulling.

If weight savings and safety was REALLY the issue, then run flats would be standard equipment on all cars.

Its all about the almighty dollar.
shadango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Before anyone gets all high and mighty and incensed because Ford left out a spare as a standard feature, understand ALL of the reasons. Money is only part of the equation.

First, tires now are very different from what they were even in the '80s. From improved rubber compounds, Tire Pressure Management Systems, to run-flat tires, the actual need for a physical spare has dropped. Most blow-outs are actually caused by under-inflated tires driven at high speeds. The under-inflation actually can cause excess heat to build up particularly at high speeds. Granted, the tires that the Mustang come with are not run-flats, but you can easily add them later and the lower profile tires already have improved durability when they are under-inflated because of their shorter, stiffer sidewall.

Second, the Mustang comes with at least 3 different wheel sizes. By not offering a physical spare, whether a "donut" or a full size spare, saves a large amount of money and headaches. You'd have to have different sizes of spares and with more things to deal with, the bigger the chance for a mistake to happen. It also reduces manufacturing and stocking/inventory costs.

Third and last, would you actually use a "donut" if you had one? Maybe, but probably only if your Mustang was at stock ride height and did not have a body kit. With either or both on your car, a smaller "donut" spare would potentially cause lots of body or undercarriage damage in your drive to purchase a new tire anyway. Given Mustang owner's propensity to modify their vehicles and that often one of the first mods is a new set of often larger wheels, a "donut" quickly becomes useless.

Now as far as roadside assistance, I can't speak much to anything that Ford offers, but it is rare that roadside assistance won't take you to where you want to be dropped. I don't use Ford's roadside assistance anyway, I use what I get through my insurance company. By doing that, I'm guaranteed to have my care taken where ever I want it to go.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

The response I got from the dealer I use:

"...it was actually a matter of weight and space. Several vehicles have gone this route. BMW was the first one to do this and every body else followed suit. Even some of the Explorer and Flexs have this kit. Trucks still have a regular spare."
Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I agree 100%.. everyone has to believe that the dealerships are gonna do all they can to BS you into these cars.. But as the guy above me stated.. Where would having a donut do any good because one of the first things that gets done is new tires or get the car lowered.. That or body kits and if put anything else on there something got to mess up.. Now I do know for a fact that he is right about the 3 different tire sizes.. But they change by model.. The 2012s have 11 different models.. The v6 base model.. Convertible.. Premium.. And premium convertible.. All of which have the 17s.. The the gt.. Gt premium.. Gt convertible.. And premium convertible.. Those have the 18s and the shelbys and boss 302 run on 19s.. So yes could give you a spare but would save you money because they are gonna get every cent they can for the car and if have more storage stuff to take care of just with tires then the overall price of the car would go up
Codysmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #34

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codysmustang View Post
Where would having a donut do any good because one of the first things that gets done is new tires or get the car lowered..
Not everyone does that. I agree that many folks buy new cars and then lower them , etc....but many do not and they drive/enjoy them as-is.

In fact I would betcha that most do not, at least not for a while.

We dont plan on replacing the tires or wheels on our car till the tires are worn out...and even then likely just go a little wider if we can.....
shadango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
True.. But buying a new car and new tires means got a long way before get a flat.. And by the time any tire gets worn down enough for that most likely someone has done something to their car.. I mean like minus the real old ppl that just get the nice cars for fun.. But still.. Most ppl round my age or alil older that get new cars mod it as soon as they can
Codysmustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang