has anyone had any problems with their 11-12 v6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
has anyone had any problems with their 11-12 v6?

I've had mine for 3 months now and the only problem I had was a minor ac problem but got it fixed n everything else is perfect, has anyone had any problems at all with your 2011-2012 v6?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110527_045024.png
Views:	639
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	27176   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110527_045058.png
Views:	530
Size:	934.2 KB
ID:	27177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110527_045123.png
Views:	571
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	27178   Click image for larger version

Name:	picsay-IMAG0141.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	27179  

aurelio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: has anyone had any problems with their 11-12 v6?

other than a driveshaft snapping, nothing

I've had mine for one year on June 21st

need shaftmasters
RicoStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A snapped driveshaft? U had your car tuned or what?
aurelio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Just broke from too much torque at normal speeds. Not a fun experience. Car is all good now. I drag race as well. Where in Texas are you? I'm moving down to Louisiana after summer and my girlfriend has family in Texas.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
No problems with mine but I don't drive it daily either. Any problems with the warranty on the drive shaft? I'm guessing the dealership fixed it.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well the apparent reason for limiting the car at 113 is because the V6 and GT driveshafts are different. Basically, the V6's driveshaft is a huge pile. Police around here don't like me for my spirited driving and know my car quite well. I guess they also know my YouTube account because they turned in videos of my car to my dealer and they tried to void the warranty through Ford for ridiculous reasons. Warranty has not been voided thankfully because Ford as a company isn't as dumb as my local dealer. They did fix it before anything was turned in (which is good because they probably would have refused me and sent me elsewhere), but neglected to see the transmission tunnel damage. Luckily it was just pushed in a bit and popped right out so it's all fine now. I'll definitely be buying a higher quality driveshaft at some point soon. Unfortunately, there are quite a few other mods to come before that
Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

How do the fix the driveshaft when it is fixed under warranty? Do they just replace with another v6 driveshaft or does it get the gt driveshaft. Driveshaft issues are a safety concern they should put the gt driveshaft in if the v6 driveshaft is junk.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking

this does not occur often. probably just a factory defect. there are no tsb's for this problem at this time
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoStang View Post
Well the apparent reason for limiting the car at 113 is because the V6 and GT driveshafts are different. Basically, the V6's driveshaft is a huge pile. Police around here don't like me for my spirited driving and know my car quite well. I guess they also know my YouTube account because they turned in videos of my car to my dealer and they tried to void the warranty through Ford for ridiculous reasons. Warranty has not been voided thankfully because Ford as a company isn't as dumb as my local dealer. They did fix it before anything was turned in (which is good because they probably would have refused me and sent me elsewhere), but neglected to see the transmission tunnel damage. Luckily it was just pushed in a bit and popped right out so it's all fine now. I'll definitely be buying a higher quality driveshaft at some point soon. Unfortunately, there are quite a few other mods to come before that
What was the official response from the dealer when they fixed it?
avengnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #10

Region: Iowa

No problems, nothing, nada, zilch with mine; and it's an early build. Best regards Plum
plumbago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

They replace it with the same part, of course. The GT one has a slightly different flange on it. The shaftmasters driveshafts for both the GT and V6 are the same exact driveshaft, but with a different flange so that there isn't a difference in quality. The dealers official response was that they're voiding my warranty. I talked to Ford and expressed my discontent with the whole situation (my dealer has given me trouble before on really dumb stuff) and my warranty has never been mentioned again. It's still active and the dealer never called back after that. Ford customer relations is pretty good with this kind of stuff if you can get an American person to talk to. Hitting higher than 115 would still be nice though. Can't wait to get a good driveshaft. I hope Ford improves this for 2014 in the next gen. I guess it wont matter too much though because I'll probably go for a GT by that time anyway.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

I only have one thing I would change. And it's really a small thing. I think they put way too much chrome trim in the interior of the car. When driving, if the sun hits the trim around the vents or shifter just right, it blinds you. Small problem but kind of a pain on long drives.

2011 Race Red v6, performance package
Hal3st0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

Have a small paint issue with mine. Small defect on the truck lid and a small defect above the left rear wheel arch. Dealer is fixing it through a local body shop. Dealer messed up on ordering the correct emblem and has made the repair take longer than what it was suppose to. The quoted 1 week for repairs and it's almost 2-1/2 weeks.

I am waiting for the drive line to fall out of mine. I have noticed that after accelerating hard on to the freeway, if I let off of the accelerator I get a vibration in the back. If these things had a google joint (Yes this is a real term for a real joint) I would say the google joint was bad. So I wait to see if it gets worse. I hate to say something to the dealer, if it takes 2-1/2 weeks to do a paint repair what would it take to get the drive line evaluated?
DACriss
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacriss View Post

I have noticed that after accelerating hard on to the freeway, if I let off of the accelerator I get a vibration in the back. If these things had a google joint (Yes this is a real term for a real joint) I would say the google joint was bad. So I wait to see if it gets worse. DACriss
Is this vibration felt in the shifter? I ask because I get a vibration in the shifter and it happens all the time different gears, different speeds.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Both the GTs and V6s with the manual transmission have been having issues. There are threads out there, if not here then on other forums, about the known transmission problems for the manual. Apparently the "German" transmission is built in China. Go figure that there are problems.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

From what I have read, Ford is aware of the problem but says it is normal. I have contacted the service department at my local Ford dealer to get their input.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to SilverPony
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd

Is this vibration felt in the shifter? I ask because I get a vibration in the shifter and it happens all the time different gears, different speeds.
I get that sometimes too, just randomly.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have had mine for just a short time with the only problem is people in parking lots wanting to look. Mine is auto in Kona Blue Metalic, and I love it. No mechanical problems.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I didn't care for the MT when I test drove the GT. I know part of that is just getting used to a new car, but it felt rough in two separate GTs that I tested. I ultimately went with an AT because I wanted a V6 and couldn't find a manual in the right package, and now I am glad after hearing some of these issues.

Of course, I won't be happy if I have a drivetrain issue with my V6 either

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Service department told me today and read me what Ford put out. They no the issue, it is normal and there is no fix for the vibration. I am know logging the problem when it happens.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

The vibration I feel is more in the seat of my pants and I feel it is coming from behind me; I do feel some of it through the shifter. When I get my car back from the dealer, I try to pay a little closer attension as to when it happens.
DACriss
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SilverPony
I had my car last night on cruise control, going 45 at about 2500 rpm and after 5 minutes the vibration just randomly started, almost as if I dint have the gear engaged but I did. I finally just hit the clutch and it went away, but I don't think that's normal obviously, I'll be talking to somebody about it too.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPony View Post
I had my car last night on cruise control, going 45 at about 2500 rpm and after 5 minutes the vibration just randomly started, almost as if I dint have the gear engaged but I did. I finally just hit the clutch and it went away, but I don't think that's normal obviously, I'll be talking to somebody about it too.
That is the same thing I feel, I'm in 4th, about 45 mph and 2700 rpm just randomly vibrates, push in the clutch or give it some gas it goes away.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal3st0rm View Post
I only have one thing I would change. And it's really a small thing. I think they put way too much chrome trim in the interior of the car. When driving, if the sun hits the trim around the vents or shifter just right, it blinds you. Small problem but kind of a pain on long drives.
I also have this problem. I love the interior, but if you dont have on sunglasses this can be a real pain. Other than that i have no problems with mine.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I notice the same thing about the MT shifter vibrates.....??????

Other Pony:
1969 Mustang Coupe w/331 Stroker, 4.11 gears, x-Pipe with Spin techs
DannyDoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacriss View Post
I am waiting for the drive line to fall out of mine. I have noticed that after accelerating hard on to the freeway, if I let off of the accelerator I get a vibration in the back. If these things had a google joint (Yes this is a real term for a real joint) I would say the google joint was bad. So I wait to see if it gets worse. I hate to say something to the dealer, if it takes 2-1/2 weeks to do a paint repair what would it take to get the drive line evaluated?
DACriss
I'm having this exact same feeling, but I couldn't figure out what the google joint was when searching for it. How did this turn out for you? The reaction I get is that after I accelerate hard that I get the vibration/bouncing/clunking sounds from the back. But it happens when I start to slow back down, and is the worst when I stop. If I put it into neutral (automatic) that stop the issue. It also doesn't happen all the time, more periodically. I was thinking a bad u joint (still need to look) but a bad u joint wouldn't causing issues when I'm stopped.
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I think the consensus is that it is the dual mass flywheel that sticks have causing the vibrations at certain RPM's. Some have replaced it with a conventional flywheel and it goes away. It is a side-effect of 60 degree V-6's inherent imbalance I'm afraid. Auto's don't have that flywheel because the torque converter suppresses vibrations. It sounds like you have wheel hop though. Some better lower control arms will stop that. The stock ones are really weak.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I ditched the dmv and the driveshaft and it is smooth as can be. did all those mods before i added hp/ tq. did the spec stage 2 clutch and aluminum flywheel. shaft masters ds...and then did gears. recently added a supercharger. everything feels tight so far.

i did have and every once in a while get a gear clash in 1st when letting out the clutch but i have done everything new except the tranny. swapped the shifter for a mew and did the whitleline trans mount too. ford had it but couldn't get the clash in first when letting out the clutch as it was random. they refused to pull the trans and check anything in there because it is random. it does it every few months once or twice. when it goes i will prob swap to an auto or do another t82 out of a 15 or 16. mine is a 13 btw and the issue was from 800 miles when the car was stock and they took it a few times while the car was bone stock but said no issue. when we did the clutch the output bearing and was leaking so that might have been it. clutch i did at 11000 miles because it bothered the crap out of me. car has 17000 on it now. hardly driven... still love the car though!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Too Much Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal3st0rm View Post
I agree to the extreme amount of chrome. I have the 2012 convertible and the sun has hit everything at one time or another. My solution is to take some 0000 Steel wool and scratch it / polish it to a more satin finish. It's a work in progress and I'll try to post some pics here of the results.
ajkillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I need to get my hands on a 3D printer. Pop all the chrome parts off, scan, and print new ones. Have them painted in something more manageable/tolerable.

The only issue I've had is with the heater. Even with the fan turned down all the way and on normal A/C (not max), it cranks out heat.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
I think the consensus is that it is the dual mass flywheel that sticks have causing the vibrations at certain RPM's. Some have replaced it with a conventional flywheel and it goes away. It is a side-effect of 60 degree V-6's inherent imbalance I'm afraid. Auto's don't have that flywheel because the torque converter suppresses vibrations. It sounds like you have wheel hop though. Some better lower control arms will stop that. The stock ones are really weak.
I should have been clearer. Essentially after driving WOT it sounds like something rotating is off-balance when I begin to decelerate. That's why I thought a bad U-joint but the issue is it's worst when I'm completely stopped. The moment I get the RPM range back up, in neutral or not, the clunking noise and feeling stop, but as the RPM's drop the noise sometimes comes back.

This whole situation only happens after I've floored it, doesn't matter if I'm rolling already or from a stop. The action of WOT appears to be causing something to be be thrown off balance on the deceleration phase. What can possibly be spinning when I'm stopped, that might lead me down the right path.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You said the noise was coming from the back? When you are stopped nothing is moving behind the transmission. If your auto trans is in neutral nothing is moving but the engine and torque converter. I would bring it to a dealer and show it to them.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
You said the noise was coming from the back? When you are stopped nothing is moving behind the transmission. If your auto trans is in neutral nothing is moving but the engine and torque converter. I would bring it to a dealer and show it to them.
It's hard to pinpoint as I can't get the problem to happen while I'm outside the car, but it appears the noise comes from rear and possibly under the back seat.

Correct, the noise stops when I put it in neutral.

I'll research bad torque converters and see what I can find, really like being able to repair my own stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang