Cat-back or Axle-back Borla Touring - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cat-back or Axle-back Borla Touring

I just picked-up my 2012 V6 three weeks ago. I am looking at changing the exhaust system to the Borla Touring system. In my research the shop who would make this switch is asking whether I want the Cat-back or Axle-back systems.

I am not knowledgeable enough on the differences to know all the pro's and con's of each set-up. I do know that installed the Cat-backs are 40% more expensive.

Are the plus's of the Cat-back worth the expense?

Your comments are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang1.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	28827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	28832  

Gmcnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Cat-back or Axle-back Borla Touring

no performance gain, well at least not enough to make it feel different i guess
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Also u will void your warranty if they see it.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Also u will void your warranty if they see it.
Not necessarily...you just need to talk to your dealership before you get started on anything.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I just posted a thread on here about this a couple of days ago because I'm buying the borla axle back stinger exhaust. I was told that cat back is more for power and performance and axle back is more for sound. I have an 07 GT but I don't know that I will keep it or trade it for a Shelby so I'm not going to invest a whole lot of money into it for performance. The touring system isn't loud enough in my opinion lol
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
I just posted a thread on here about this a couple of days ago because I'm buying the borla axle back stinger exhaust. I was told that cat back is more for power and performance and axle back is more for sound. I have an 07 GT but I don't know that I will keep it or trade it for a Shelby so I'm not going to invest a whole lot of money into it for performance. The touring system isn't loud enough in my opinion lol
The question I have, though, is how much power are you adding REALLY? Are you merely reducing weight (maybe?), or are you actually adding power? The only difference is that I've seen some say that these aftermarket cat-back pipes have a smoother turn than the "crimped" stock run of pipe. I would assume, correctly or incorrectly, that someone doing a cat-back would probably be changing out their midpipes and maybe headers too. That's where I would think the difference is made, no?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Well I don't know much haha as I'm still learning but I was told catback to add more power and work better with more mods like supercharger etc. I personally am going to go with axle back.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
Well I don't know much haha as I'm still learning but I was told catback to add more power and work better with more mods like supercharger etc. I personally am going to go with axle back.
I am a novice myself, but I either want axle-backs or the whole enchilada!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If I remember correctly, axle-back is only for sound. The cat-back system is more for performance and sound. However, by itself, the cat-back will only get you a few HP (maybe 2 or 3). It becomes beneficial when changing the entire exhaust system (i.e. Mid pipe and headers), and helps promote freer flowing exhaust when adding power mods to the engine (i.e. Supercharger).

Hope this helps!

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcnomore View Post
I just picked-up my 2012 V6 three weeks ago. I am looking at changing the exhaust system to the Borla Touring system. In my research the shop who would make this switch is asking whether I want the Cat-back or Axle-back systems.

I am not knowledgeable enough on the differences to know all the pro's and con's of each set-up. I do know that installed the Cat-backs are 40% more expensive.

Are the plus's of the Cat-back worth the expense?

Your comments are appreciated.

I went ahead and had the Borla Touring axle backs installed. They sound great and what I had hoped for. However, in the 6th gear and the 2000 rpm area I get a deep sound that I think reflects the low rpms and not issues with the exhaust system. I dropped to 5th and ran in the 2500 rpm area but I am not sure what that does for the MPG.

Comments?

Comments?
Gmcnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcnomore View Post
I went ahead and had the Borla Touring axle backs installed. They sound great and what I had hoped for. However, in the 6th gear and the 2000 rpm area I get a deep sound that I think reflects the low rpms and not issues with the exhaust system. I dropped to 5th and ran in the 2500 rpm area but I am not sure what that does for the MPG.

Comments?

Comments?
I think that's the dreades drone?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to SilverPony

Does everybody mind the drone? For what I've read I'm guessing it's the deep tone sound you get when cruising at lower rpms. If that's the case, I actually like that. I owned an 07 Ford Focus before my new Mustang and I had exhaust in it, and since it was an automatic, it was hard to get a nice sound out of it even though I had a header and all, but I loved it when I'd slow down just a little to hear the drone.

By the way, where can I find those wheels on the top car's pic? I know they came as a package for that Mustang, but where can I buy them? They are the best looking Mustang wheels besides the Bullits in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPony

By the way, where can I find those wheels on the top car's pic? I know they came as a package for that Mustang, but where can I buy them? They are the best looking Mustang wheels besides the Bullits in my opinion.
make a new thread and ask it. There are a bunch of sites that sell stock rims.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang