Chip tunner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #1

Chip tunner

I have no idea what tunner i want to get. But i really want one. If any one has any good tunners they know about or have please tell me. I have a 2011 v6.
jt525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Chip tunner

Sounds like SCT is the most popular, and you get 3 tunes included from BAMA. Even the guy I am taking my car to for gears uses a SCT with his own custom tunes. I think the bigger question is whom do you want to tune your car?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you dont get chips any more, its all hand held and the tune is loaded using the diagnostic port.

this will void the warranty, you can talk with americanmuscle.com as they offer tunes for life so future items will be covered.

an in person dyno tune will yield better results but for some its not really needed or an options, but its ALWAYS best to dyno the car after a tune change to ensure its safe and doing what its supposed to.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How much is an average dyno visit, Spector?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

it all depends, they vary. Around here usually its about 75-100 for 2 or three pulls using an A/F gauge to check your A/F level~ if you have them tune it... they may charge by the hour or who knows every shop is different.

You MAY can find a local car club that is doing a dyno day and get in cheaper, get a couple pulls with an A/F check for cheaper. I paid 40 bucks like this. If they are not checking your A/F then dont bother.

Another thing I would research is the type of A/F gauge they use, how often they change their sensor and if their equipment is good quality so you get accurate readouts.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
this will void the warranty
I think it depends on the dealer's service department. I talked with mine and they informed me that a tune will not void the warranty unless it causes the issue. If proven that the tune caused the issue only those parts/repairs will be voided. They also told me not to change the tune back to factory just to leave it as is, regardless of service I'm getting.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

thats technically true but a tune changes SO MUCH they can pretty much blame it on anything... and just because thats the law does not mean Ford wont screw you when they want to and blame your exhaust leak on your tune... and if you want to fight it good luck as you wont win or it will cost so much you might as well not bother sad but true.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
thats technically true but a tune changes SO MUCH they can pretty much blame it on anything... and just because thats the law does not mean Ford wont screw you when they want to and blame your exhaust leak on your tune... and if you want to fight it good luck as you wont win or it will cost so much you might as well not bother sad but true.
True...it probably won't be worth it, but I know up front what the dealer will or want cover and the entire warranty won't be voided. I'm sure it is a hit or miss.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Bottom line, you are assuming some risk if you tune your car. Given the spirit of the law and what my dealership has told me, I don't have any reservations about getting gears installed and the requisite tune associated with it. Based on what I am changing, there shouldn't be any adverse effects on my car that could/would be attributed to that modification. And because I have an auto trans, I would never flash back to stock anyhow...

Now, if I get changes to A/F, spark, cam, etc., I realize that there are so many contributing factors that, as Spector pointed out, they could probably blame the tune for malfunctions as the engine would be operating outside the factory tolerances/specifications. Honestly, as much as I would love to get more power/torque out of my car, I care more about changing the rear gears and the shift points in my auto trans as much or more than anything else, and I find it hard to believe that those changes could be blamed for anything aside from maybe a transmission problem...although that would still be an expensive fix outside the warranty.

I'll probably just do the gears for now and give it a little more time for the tunes to get fleshed out and tweaked before I go messing around with something that I know so little about

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang