Just pulled the trigger on a tuner :) - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they will. But if you look through thR tuner itself under tire size you will

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

Sorry hit wrong button. But in the tuner you will see under tire size numbers for revolutions per min. I believe for my tire size I needed 765. I tweaked with the settings they sent me to get my speedometer really close. Mine was off roughly 3-5mph before I made adjustments with my gps on my phone.
goherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
What's the latest on the tune?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Just pulled the trigger on a tuner :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
What's the latest on the tune?
Not having great luck so far. Two tunes down, two tunes with pinging between 4,000 - 5,000 RPMs.

On the whole, I haven't been overwhelmingly impressed with BAMA's customer service. One guy was pretty helpful last night, but then today when I called to ask about an adjustment, I got one of the guys who basically told me not to worry about my A/F running too lean and that I needed to manually adjust the spark rather than them sending out a bunch of new tunes every time.

I just pulled one degree of spark and will test tomorrow to see if that helps with the pinging, but I honestly expected a little better customer service. Chris Rose and Chris Young seem to be great representatives on this board, but I can't say that BAMA customer service is on the same level.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Not having great luck so far. Two tunes down, two tunes with pinging between 4,000 - 5,000 RPMs.

On the whole, I haven't been overwhelmingly impressed with BAMA's customer service. One guy was pretty helpful last night, but then today when I called to ask about an adjustment, I got one of the guys who basically told me not to worry about my A/F running too lean and that I needed to manually adjust the spark rather than them sending out a bunch of new tunes every time.

I just pulled one degree of spark and will test tomorrow to see if that helps with the pinging, but I honestly expected a little better customer service. Chris Rose and Chris Young seem to be great representatives on this board, but I can't say that BAMA customer service is on the same level.
I'm not gonna beat this down because I know you have heard this many, many times, but the stuff you are going thru, is the main reason why I got mine "Custom Tuned" in a shop, that does HP on Mustangs. And in that process, I was able to hear and see myself, the different Tunes and personally know which Tune the Tuner programed and why he programed the particular one.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I'm not gonna beat this down because I know you have heard this many, many times, but the stuff you are going thru, is the main reason why I got mine "Custom Tuned" in a shop, that does HP on Mustangs. And in that process, I was able to hear and see myself, the different Tunes and personally know which Tune the Tuner programed and why he programed the particular one.
I am thinking of going that route, KATO. The guy who would be tuning mine has been working on Mustangs for like 25 years. The dude knows his sh*t and is regularly working on GTs, Cobras, etc. I guess my only reservation might simply be his familiarity with V6s, especially this new 3.7L.

How much should a custom tune cost though? This guy charges $250 for three tunes, and he doesn't use a dyno but claims he doesn't have to just with experience, I guess.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you dont use a dyno and you dont check A/F dont let them tune your car.. as I have NO idea how they even would come up with information needed to tune the car....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if you dont use a dyno and you dont check A/F dont let them tune your car.. as I have NO idea how they even would come up with information needed to tune the car....
Sorry...I should've said that he uses wideband sensor monitors before and after cats, IIRC. I don't have any doubt about his skills...I am more concerned about whether or not his price is fair.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I paid 100 bucks for 3 tunes for mine (email tunes, using data logs and a local dyno (cost to me for dyno was 75 for two pulls had to have two sessions). He had free support to dial in the tunes for 8 weeks.

Tuner 380.00
Tunes 100.00
Dyno time 150.00
Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I paid 100 bucks for 3 tunes for mine (email tunes, using data logs and a local dyno (cost to me for dyno was 75 for two pulls had to have two sessions). He had free support to dial in the tunes for 8 weeks.

Tuner 380.00
Tunes 100.00
Dyno time 150.00
Not bad. I'd love to put it on a dyno as well as have a professional actually listen to it as opposed to my n00b ear!

I just finished some datalogging though. Does this look like anything knock-tastic?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That really sucks and goes against everything I have read about these guys. Keep us posted, I hope it gets resolved.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That really sucks and goes against everything I have read about these guys. Keep us posted, I hope it gets resolved.
It has been better today. I think it was just one dude who was having a bad day, but I had talked to him before, and he didn't seem to care that much then either.

I've talked to two guys since (Eric and Jim) who've been great though. I won't bust out the guy who was curt -- his name isn't actually Curt -- but I'm glad he wasn't my only experience with BAMA.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

It has been better today. I think it was just one dude who was having a bad day, but I had talked to him before, and he didn't seem to care that much then either.

I've talked to two guys since (Eric and Jim) who've been great though. I won't bust out the guy who was curt -- his name isn't actually Curt -- but I'm glad he wasn't my only experience with BAMA.
Great to hear. I guess we can all have bad days. Hopefully you get it going, I'm really curious to hear it all runs once you have the right tune.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great to hear. I guess we can all have bad days. Hopefully you get it going, I'm really curious to hear it all runs once you have the right tune.
Some people elsewhere are suggesting that some pinging happens all the time. Am I crazy to think that ANY audible pinging is bad news?

Old 08-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Some people elsewhere are suggesting that some pinging happens all the time. Am I crazy to think that ANY audible pinging is bad news?
I would think so. And now what do you do? Can you restore it back to factory settings and if so does that correct the pinging?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would think so. And now what do you do? Can you restore it back to factory settings and if so does that correct the pinging?
Yep. Just flashed the car back to stock and will wait for new tune from BAMA. I Think they're supposed to have the lead technician look at my logs.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

Yep. Just flashed the car back to stock and will wait for new tune from BAMA. I Think they're supposed to have the lead technician look at my logs.
That's great. Hopefully they take care of you. Keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My Dyno tmes ran me about $150.00, it was two or four of them, can't remember how many. Your prise probably includes the Dyno use and the Tech's workon it. You can always asked them what it includes for that prise.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My Dyno tmes ran me about $150.00, it was two or four of them, can't remember how many. Your prise probably includes the Dyno use and the Tech's workon it. You can always asked them what it includes for that prise.
That guy quoted me $250 just for the tunes. To my knowledge, there is no dyno time. It was going to be $650 for the tuner + the tunes. So, I had a choice of paying him $650 or paying BAMA $379 ($325 after coupon).

I went with BAMA and hope they get this schtuff figured out. I asked if I should disconnect my battery after uploading a new tune, and the tech said it was unnecessary. Should I?

Also, I just put in some Shell V-Power (93 octane) last night since I was low enough I thought it was ready for some new gas. I also uploaded the 87 tune again to see if that fixes the pinging.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Just flashed back to stock last night and did a couple of WOT runs -- no audible pinging.

Flashed back to 87S tune after putting in about 4 gallons of 93 octane from Shell. Once I run out the rest of this and fill up with 93 again, I'll be ready to try out the hybrid tune.

I still want someone at BAMA to explain my logs to me though.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That guy quoted me $250 just for the tunes. To my knowledge, there is no dyno time. It was going to be $650 for the tuner + the tunes. So, I had a choice of paying him $650 or paying BAMA $379 ($325 after coupon).

I went with BAMA and hope they get this schtuff figured out. I asked if I should disconnect my battery after uploading a new tune, and the tech said it was unnecessary. Should I?

Also, I just put in some Shell V-Power (93 octane) last night since I was low enough I thought it was ready for some new gas. I also uploaded the 87 tune again to see if that fixes the pinging.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Just flashed back to stock last night and did a couple of WOT runs -- no audible pinging.

Flashed back to 87S tune after putting in about 4 gallons of 93 octane from Shell. Once I run out the rest of this and fill up with 93 again, I'll be ready to try out the hybrid tune.

I still want someone at BAMA to explain my logs to me though.
$650.00 is not at all a bad price. Personally I would have went with it, but thats past and all you can do is go forward now. And if the Tech tells you it's not neccessary to disconnect, then Don't disconnect.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
$650.00 is not at all a bad price. Personally I would have went with it, but thats past and all you can do is go forward now. And if the Tech tells you it's not neccessary to disconnect, then Don't disconnect.
Well, same difference. I'll still come out on top of that original price with the discounted BAMA tuner. I just don't want to have to pay each time I add something!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, same difference. I'll still come out on top of that original price with the discounted BAMA tuner. I just don't want to have to pay each time I add something!
Should not have to, just ask the shop about that, and if they insist on charging you up the @$$ everytime, then check out their compitition shop.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

93 octane, WOT run on 87S tune = no pinging. Now, I wonder if I would've gotten pinging with 87 octane from Shell instead of Chevron?

So many variables, so little time...and money.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

So you got an 87 Tune and now you running 93 Octane with it? I don't believe it's the Chevron gas, did you use some other Brand of gas before? some low quality brand name??
Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you got an 87 Tune and now you running 93 Octane with it? I don't believe it's the Chevron gas, did you use some other Brand of gas before? some low quality brand name??
I can't remember filling it up with off-brand gas, but I usually don't go to the same gas station every time. It might be Shell one time, Chevron the next. Now, I know my wife drove it a while ago, and I don't know what she put in it.

All that aside, I got a new tune from BAMA that I will be trying out as well.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can't remember filling it up with off-brand gas, but I usually don't go to the same gas station every time. It might be Shell one time, Chevron the next. Now, I know my wife drove it a while ago, and I don't know what she put in it.

All that aside, I got a new tune from BAMA that I will be trying out as well.
I bet, she went to some cheap gas station, and got some gas that was waterd down, probably did not tell you cause most of them do not know the difference or the importance of different gas or types/grade of gas.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bet, she went to some cheap gas station, and got some gas that was waterd down, probably did not tell you cause most of them do not know the difference or the importance of different gas or types/grade of gas.
Well, there is a Flying J that we frequently stopped at with my Honda or her Contour. I wouldn't be surprised if their gas were less than sterling, and I imagine she filled up there. Still, it was never a problem until the tune.

FWIW, Chris Rose said he only recommends Shell, Sunoco, and Exxon.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, there is a Flying J that we frequently stopped at with my Honda or her Contour. I wouldn't be surprised if their gas were less than sterling, and I imagine she filled up there. Still, it was never a problem until the tune.

FWIW, Chris Rose said he only recommends Shell, Sunoco, and Exxon.
"Tuning" makes the car more sensitive and responsive to things than before. So may may be just notising it more now than before. Ex. when people use 87 Octane all the time, then all of a sudden use 93 Octane and discover a big difference in performance. Your car may just be more sensitive now, than it was before the Tune.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Unless you've got a heavy mod list (heads, cams, power adders, etc.) on your Stang then getting a custom tune from a shop or other wise is just a wast of time and money!!... They won't net you any more real power gains then what a mail order tune from Diablo, SCT., etc. will. I got a buddy who has the same year and model Stang as me, with the same mods but has a custom tune. He is .2 secounds faster then me but he also has gears and I'm still stock on that!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Unless you've got a heavy mod list (heads, cams, power adders, etc.) on your Stang then getting a custom tune from a shop or other wise is just a wast of time and money!!... They won't net you any more real power gains then what a mail order tune from Diablo, SCT., etc. will. I got a buddy who has the same year and model Stang as me, with the same mods but has a custom tune. He is .2 secounds faster then me but he also has gears and I'm still stock on that!..
The Gears Do make a big difference.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Gears Do make a big difference.
Got the gears, love the gears!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got the gears, love the gears!
I know, amazing isn't it?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know, amazing isn't it?
Bad thing is what it does to my MPGs...I just can't keep my foot out of it!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

I know the gears make a difference!.. Just talking about the tune!.. Customs vs Mail order on an pretty much stock car really does not make that much a difference!.. From what I've seen and heard... A custom tune on a stock car generally results in problems with the tune not working right with the car... If you have a fairly stock car you are better off getting a mail order tune and then updating your tune as you upgrade your car... I got my Diablo Sport Preditor 4 years ago and have had zero problems with it... And I got it with the mail order tune on it... And BAMA I've heard some good about but I've also heard alot of bad!.. Perennially I would not have gone with them!..

Just my .02
Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

my first round of tuning I had bad gas... even though it was from a good place... after that was out of the system worked much better.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

If I eat some chili I usually end up with some bad gas but that is beside the point!.. Lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang