Just pulled the trigger on a tuner :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just pulled the trigger on a tuner :)

May the dealership bless my soul...

AmericanMuscle has a great deal going right now that knocked $55 off the tuner. Figured it was time to do it.

So, I'll be doing the tune first before I get the gears.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Just pulled the trigger on a tuner :)

just know that once tuned it cant be undone and if they look for it the warranty will be gone
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
just know that once tuned it cant be undone and if they look for it the warranty will be gone
You can't restore to stock on 11+ cars?
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I can restore my 06 back to stock. It is an option on the sct tuner.
goherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

More Info on this please, are you saying that only the 2011+ cars cannot be returned to stock tune, or that any car can't be returned to stock tune???
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by goherd View Post
Right, that's why it sounded weird to me. All 96+ cars can be returned to stock via the tuner...but I'm not up to date on tuning 11+ cars so maybe something has changed or maybe ford has some monitoring thing in the computer that remembers you flashed the car.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Call bama tuning on this one (assuming that is the one you bought). They advertise in their tuning videos that when u plug the tuner in it saves your stock settings and if u have to take the car in under warranty you can flash the stock tune back in resetting the computer to factory settings

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
You can't restore to stock on 11+ cars?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
More Info on this please, are you saying that only the 2011+ cars cannot be returned to stock tune, or that any car can't be returned to stock tune???
sorry I didnt mean that to be confusing, you can return the vehicle to the stock tune... but Ford (if they check) will know it has been previously altered even if it has the stock tune.... thats the issue.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

OK, better understanding now. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You should be able to reset the tune back to factory settings. Whether Ford can detect it has been a source of various discussions on this forum. Apparently, if you put back the stock tune, it will show up on your computer as a blank spot (same as disconnecting the battery). Driving for 50 miles will effectively erase this blank spot from your car's history. However,some say there is still the possibility that Ford can still detect any evidence of aftermarket tunes.

I would say to just assume that Ford can detect it and possibly void your waranty if they can prove it messed something up. But you can always try switching to a stock tune an driving the 50 miles. In the end, it really depends on how much of a hard *** the dealership wants to be.

Hope this helps!

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
You should be able to reset the tune back to factory settings. Whether Ford can detect it has been a source of various discussions on this forum. Apparently, if you put back the stock tune, it will show up on your computer as a blank spot (same as disconnecting the battery). Driving for 50 miles will effectively erase this blank spot from your car's history. However,some say there is still the possibility that Ford can still detect any evidence of aftermarket tunes.

I would say to just assume that Ford can detect it and possibly void your waranty if they can prove it messed something up. But you can always try switching to a stock tune an driving the 50 miles. In the end, it really depends on how much of a hard *** the dealership wants to be.

Hope this helps!
^^This

I think Spector's advice is worth heeding if you are highly concerned about your warranty. For example, if you've already had warranty work done on your car, you might be a bit more gunshy to tune it. Myself, I am certainly concerned with preserving the warranty, but after talking to MY dealership, it doesn't sound like they're draconian about slapping down any and all warranty claims. If the tune caused the problem, it won't be covered under warranty. I think that's fair. I wouldn't expect them to cover my changes that brought about a problem.

Now, I realize that the gray area might still be troublesome for some people. I was in that boat, but I finally said, "Screw it!" It sounds like AmericanMuscle/BAMA stand behind their tune; so, if the problem really DOES end up being the fault of the tune, I will go to them. If it isn't, and Ford is trying to cry foul, I will probably go to AM/BAMA for further backup.

In the end, if you don't want to take any chances and want 100% assurance, don't change a thing, always take it to the dealership for every single thing, and you'll be set. But the main thing is to talk to your dealership first. They're the ones who'll be deciding if (God forbid) you have any problems.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you may can find a ford racing package that can be installed by the dealer and maintain the warranty~ is available on the GT and may be on the V6~ just one way to go about it.

Focus on mods that dont modify the tune or require a tune (wheels/suspension) and those may be needed anyway. Before you know it the warranty is up and your free to do what you want as well~
Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The plot thickens...so I called again today to ask about what effect the tune would have on the warranty, and I got a little bit grayer answer.

Before I load the tune, I am going up to the dealership to let them check out my transmission to see why it feels like a retardo hard downshift at 10mph when turning a corner (maybe torque converter?) and then talk with the service manager as well as their preferred performance guy about warranty coverage.

The new answer that I got was basically that if you do exhaust (axle-backs) or gears, you are fine -- no questions asked. The tune, however, potentially puts you in a liability situation. I am just looking to make sure it is still the same story I heard the last time I called and talked with the service department...

Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

even if you get the answer you want from someone there... whos to say you wont get a different answer when issues come up.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Damn you for being the voice of reason, Spector!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
even if you get the answer you want from someone there... whos to say you wont get a different answer when issues come up.
+1. Unless it's in writing, they can change their answer from one day to the next.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well a cai should not void warranty either. Also your having a hard time downshifting also. My syncros are bad and getting it worked on monday. Also If you have manual the you have no torque converter.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

interesting, the dealership I got my car at would not take any first person admitting to what and what ford would not cover including my question of an axle back exhaust. All three of the head hanchos just said that ford really hates cold air intakes for the fact they are not in an air box when you get finished so there is more of a chance for debris and water to get to the intake....that just threw me for a loop because I have had a cold air on all 3 mustangs prior to this and never had an engine or intake issue. The point I am trying to get to is the dealer i bought my car from is very anal so I will come out and admit that it does depend on which dealer you go to for work and a dealer that doesn't care whether the money is coming from you or ford just so they get there money is the better choice because they know ford can pay up quick.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well when I sold cars anything that was sold by Ford then it does not void your warranty. Such as buying products from Ford racing like there power pack the V6 should be all good.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

does that go for lets say ford racing supercharger? Understand that is the extreme other side of the spectrum but I am going a long the idea that a supercharger can ruin a stock motor if it isn't built for it. That and does ford built the supercharger for the stock mustang or are they banking on the idea u went through ur bottom end and forged it out?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well a cai should not void warranty either. Also your having a hard time downshifting also. My syncros are bad and getting it worked on monday. Also If you have manual the you have no torque converter.
The guy specifically said just the exhaust and the gears. I pushed my appointment up to tomorrow; so, I am going in with a laundry list of questions tomorrow and hopefully come back with the same number of answers.

I agree about getting it in writing, but my suspicion is that they're not going to commit to anything verbally that would get them in trouble if it were in writing. Unfortunately, my guess is that the answer will be that the tune COULD potentially void the warranty. Then again, even if everything is A-OK tomorrow, does that stop Ford from issuing a TSB about tunes for the 3.7L?

What I am going to want to get nailed down is whether or not the presence of a tune wholesale voids the warranty, according to them, and then what BAMA's responsibility is in the event of their tune being labeled cause of damage.

The last wildcard is seeing if they treat the "preferred" performance installer any differently (i.e., is HIS tune covered?) vs mail order tunes.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #22
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Dear Ford,
There is a blank spot in my computers history because all the late nights Ford spent putting together one of the best Mustangs of all time they somehow forgot to make it smart enough to turn the dome light off by itself. I only drive this car once or maybe twice a week so it sat for a week before I knew the battery was dead.

Signed
I do not have a aftermarket tune.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

i would get that laminated and turn it in with the keys when I get my car worked on just in case they spilled coffee on the note they can just wipe it off
Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

lol @ DDTCM and gregtommy

Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
The guy specifically said just the exhaust and the gears. I pushed my appointment up to tomorrow; so, I am going in with a laundry list of questions tomorrow and hopefully come back with the same number of answers.

I agree about getting it in writing, but my suspicion is that they're not going to commit to anything verbally that would get them in trouble if it were in writing. Unfortunately, my guess is that the answer will be that the tune COULD potentially void the warranty. Then again, even if everything is A-OK tomorrow, does that stop Ford from issuing a TSB about tunes for the 3.7L?

What I am going to want to get nailed down is whether or not the presence of a tune wholesale voids the warranty, according to them, and then what BAMA's responsibility is in the event of their tune being labeled cause of damage.

The last wildcard is seeing if they treat the "preferred" performance installer any differently (i.e., is HIS tune covered?) vs mail order tunes.
Good luck!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I just found out that the dealership already has my car. My wife took it up this morning before she went to work and is having their performance guy install new rear gears.

She surprised me for our 1 year anniversary!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005
Well, I just found out that the dealership already has my car. My wife took it up this morning before she went to work and is having their performance guy install new rear gears.

She surprised me for our 1 year anniversary!
Awesome!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the right little lady for u

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Sounds like the right little lady for u
+1. That's awesome!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, and she got me a gift certificate for tint that I used this morning 20% all around (except for front windshield)!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, and she got me a gift certificate for tint that I used this morning 20% all around (except for front windshield)!
Damn that is sweet of her.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does she have a sister?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

What tuner do they have on sale?
how much?

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Let me know if it was worth it

02 GT : LT headers, H pipe, Cat back, 80mm TB, Intake, Strut tower bar, lightweight pullies All BBK, drilled and slotted rotors, Clear headlights, Eibach Pro Kit, Hid kit for both head and fog, chin spoiler,18' chrome 2010 GT wheels with nitto tires
GTtopgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
Does she have a sister?
Haha, nope...just a brother, who knows less about cars than she does lol

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTtopgear View Post
What tuner do they have on sale?
how much?

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Let me know if it was worth it
It was a Christmas in July coupon on the SCT Tuner. I need to update it now for the 3.73 gears...which I think really need a tune for me to realize all of the benefits.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
interesting, the dealership I got my car at would not take any first person admitting to what and what ford would not cover including my question of an axle back exhaust. All three of the head hanchos just said that ford really hates cold air intakes for the fact they are not in an air box when you get finished so there is more of a chance for debris and water to get to the intake....that just threw me for a loop because I have had a cold air on all 3 mustangs prior to this and never had an engine or intake issue. The point I am trying to get to is the dealer i bought my car from is very anal so I will come out and admit that it does depend on which dealer you go to for work and a dealer that doesn't care whether the money is coming from you or ford just so they get there money is the better choice because they know ford can pay up quick.
That's funny. You should take a picture of the intake on a new Shelby and show it to them, cause it's not in an air box at all. Here, I even found you a link to a photo. 2012 Ford Shelby Mustang Gt500 Super Snake Engine Compartment Photo 3

2011 Race Red v6, performance package
Hal3st0rm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang