89 Octane.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
89 Octane....

I Don't know if it's just me or what but it seems when I put 89 octane in my stang it doesn't really like it. It seems like it runs good with 87 and runs awesome with 91 but not 89... I go to chevron.. Sometimes Safeway and Arco..

Other Pony:
1969 Mustang Coupe w/331 Stroker, 4.11 gears, x-Pipe with Spin techs
DannyDoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: 89 Octane....

I heard that 89' is a waste of money it's really no different than 87. I've also heard you get a higher octane rating by mixing 87 and 91. You could try that. If saving money is the goal. I've only heard and I'm no expert.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I'd either do 87 or 93. I always wonder if I'm getting what I pay for. Some stores around here have gallon meters on the pump itself you can see and there is only two meters. But they sell three levels of gas at that pump. Weird?
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88 View Post
I'd either do 87 or 93. I always wonder if I'm getting what I pay for. Some stores around here have gallon meters on the pump itself you can see and there is only two meters. But they sell three levels of gas at that pump. Weird?
89 decides for you
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Just run whatever octane fuel that is required in your owners manual.
That is what the car is designed to use.
Switching back and forth between octane levels causes the computer to have to re-tune the engine each time you do that.
This can take between 20-30 miles of driving each time during which you are not getting the best performance or mileage.

If you want more power get a tuner and add some exhaust and intake mods.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
A friend of mine works at a citgo refinery and says ABSOLUTELY each octane makes a difference!..
And lesser know gas stations do get there gas from the gas that didn't pass the higher standards of the "big" name stations...
In my mustang I only use premium im not rich,but I dont drive it too much!...and its worth every ยข!!...
On the other hand my newer 97 camaro I only used 87 and never had any probs with it...but I never go to the "cheapy" gas stations..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on what your car is tuned for look in your owners manuel it will tell what octane your car is designed for ,Mine is supercharged so I always use 91 or higher octane in mine and only 76 or standard I never owned a car that would run on arco.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

I also only use Premium gas.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

93 FTW!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Ok, if you guys are all about the "octane" then you should be using the E85 gasoline. It's rated at 100.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Ok, if you guys are all about the "octane" then you should be using the E85 gasoline. It's rated at 100.
Where do you get this?... Where i live I only seen 91

Other Pony:
Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDoright View Post
Where do you get this?... Where i live I only seen 91
Kind of hard to find.
It is a blend of gasoline (15%) and alcohol (85%) which may not be suitable for some vehicles and since it takes roughly twice as much alcohol to povide the same power as gasoline your mileage will suffer accordingly.

Do a search for E85 in your area. It should turn up some suppliers.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Kind of hard to find.
It is a blend of gasoline (15%) and alcohol (85%) which may not be suitable for some vehicles and since it takes roughly twice as much alcohol to povide the same power as gasoline your mileage will suffer accordingly.

Thx. I'm not really looking for high octane just wanted to see if anyone notice anything on 89... But it's good to know

Other Pony:
Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
Filibuster

Quote:
Ah yes E85!...i think you only have to "tune or change" your injectors to pulse longer to convert your car to run on E85...

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Out here (chicago land area) gas city has E85...
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Kind of hard to find.

Is this anything like "Airplane Fuel"?? Is there any cautions or dangers??
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
No, it is an alcohol and gasoline mix.
Whenever using alcohol there is always the chance that it will draw water and cause corrosion, and it can eat up rubber components in older fuel system.
That's why you have to be sure your vehicle is equipped to handle it.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think I will stick to good ole 91 octane I don't think my car could handle e85.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
I think I will stick to good ole 91 octane I don't think my car could handle e85.
Yeah me too

Other Pony:
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, it is an alcohol and gasoline mix.
Whenever using alcohol there is always the chance that it will draw water and cause corrosion, and it can eat up rubber components in older fuel system.
That's why you have to be sure your vehicle is equipped to handle it.
I have spoken with two different friends of mine that had tried that before, and both say it's very, very corrosive.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
their is 110 octane racing fuel we used to run on drags
crkmonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have spoken with two different friends of mine that had tried that before, and both say it's very, very corrosive.
Yes it is, but most newer vehicles are equipped to deal with that problem and the rubber components have been upgraded to handle it as well.

The "corrosiveness" comes from the fact that the alcohol attracts water and removes oil, so it opens the door wide open for corrosion to start on metals.
It is also death to untreated aluminum parts, your liver and brain cells.
On aluminum it forms a white residue that clogs everything up and actually eats pits or holes in the aluminum.

Most regular fuel is "cut" with alcohol whether service stations admit to it or not. I have some older Cub Cadet garden tractors that are proof of this. At least once a year I have to disassemble the carburetors and clean out the white residue from the bowls and fuel passages. Hmmm, I wonder how that is forming if there is no alcohol in the fuel?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

ahhh the old "does octane rating have an effect on performance" question/argument. Octane is simply a standard way of measuring gasoline "anti-knock" ability. The higher the number the less likely it is to cause engine knock. It will not improve performance or power. Like said above, use what your vehicle recomends (unless there are mods that would require a higher rating) unless you like wasting money.

As far as E-85, its a damn joke. It didn't bring prices down, it makes gas mileage drop by a good amount, and imo does little to nothing for the environment. Its them damn "green" politicians that are just finding new ways to suck money out of people.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
ahhh the old "does octane rating have an effect on performance" question/argument. Octane is simply a standard way of measuring gasoline "anti-knock" ability. The higher the number the less likely it is to cause engine knock. It will not improve performance or power. Like said above, use what your vehicle recomends (unless there are mods that would require a higher rating) unless you like wasting money.

As far as E-85, its a damn joke. It didn't bring prices down, it makes gas mileage drop by a good amount, and imo does little to nothing for the environment. Its them damn "green" politicians that are just finding new ways to suck money out of people.
Thank you for explaining that better.

Also, the grains used to produce that alcohol come from food and feedstocks, so what do you think that does for the price of groceries?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you for explaining that better.

Also, the grains used to produce that alcohol come from food and feedstocks, so what do you think that does for the price of groceries?
I know all to well about the prices of stuff and the BS that is fed to people about the use of E-85. In IL (what seems like the corn capitol of the country) its at every gas station in the state it seems(it is in my area). I'm all for a finding a cleaner burning fuel, but not at the cost of mileage and performance. Unless the price reflects that. The issue annoys me to no end. I took a hunting trip down to texas (wild boars) a few months ago. Driving a 96 explorer, wich granted doesn't get the best gas mileage anyway, we got 16mpg in IL and IA (both states ad 10-15 % ethonal to all gas) and payed about 3.73/gallon. In OK and TX gas was about 3.30(est) with no ethanol and we got 24mpg. Something doesn't add up to what the local crooks(politicians,oil companies) are telling people.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
With the last statement could we say. The claimed "ethanol free" would be better than e10 blend?
I've always heard that there's been ethanol added to gas for a long time it wasn't the 10% though
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
Filibuster

Mpg?!.....never heard of it!!...haha!..
Though I am goin green if you count the color of money when im at the gas station...
Prius or mustang?..yeah we all know the answer to that!..
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I know all to well about the prices of stuff and the BS that is fed to people about the use of E-85. In IL (what seems like the corn capitol of the country) its at every gas station in the state it seems(it is in my area). I'm all for a finding a cleaner burning fuel, but not at the cost of mileage and performance. Unless the price reflects that. The issue annoys me to no end. I took a hunting trip down to texas (wild boars) a few months ago. Driving a 96 explorer, wich granted doesn't get the best gas mileage anyway, we got 16mpg in IL and IA (both states ad 10-15 % ethonal to all gas) and payed about 3.73/gallon. In OK and TX gas was about 3.30(est) with no ethanol and we got 24mpg. Something doesn't add up to what the local crooks(politicians,oil companies) are telling people.
Yeah, I don't even want to get started on politicians.
I think we should kick every one of them out and bring in a whole new batch.

I am looking at using the E85 in my 86 GT after the SC install.
I believe the cooling effect of the alcohol coupled with the increased octane will help keep my stock block alive at increased HP levels by reducing the chance of detonation and allowing me to run more timing advance.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

100% right, actually just learned this in school, if you car aint set up to run higher octane, your just wasting your money.
crkmonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I don't even want to get started on politicians.
I think we should kick every one of them out and bring in a whole new batch.

I am looking at using the E85 in my 86 GT after the SC install.
I believe the cooling effect of the alcohol coupled with the increased octane will help keep my stock block alive at increased HP levels by reducing the chance of detonation and allowing me to run more timing advance.
I agree about kicking the whole bunch out, its the only chance we have.

I completely forgot to mention anything about the cooling effects of E-85 and alcohol. It's a very good point, and keeping the engine cool is a huge advantage when it comes to performance. I've got a FF magazine around here somewhere that had an article about an E-85 shootout. Nothing but mustangs running E-85, and running quick too.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #30
Filibuster

Yeah quite a few people jumped into the E85 conversion with there drag cars cause its still cheaper than 110!..
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I agree about kicking the whole bunch out, its the only chance we have.

I completely forgot to mention anything about the cooling effects of E-85 and alcohol. It's a very good point, and keeping the engine cool is a huge advantage when it comes to performance. I've got a FF magazine around here somewhere that had an article about an E-85 shootout. Nothing but mustangs running E-85, and running quick too.
Yep! A lot of them were in the 8 second zone if I remember correctly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang