Just Installed Airaid CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just Installed Airaid CAI

Holy crap...this isn't a difficult install as far as mechanical skills are related, but it is still a pain. Apparently, I must've just had butterfingers because I managed to drop a screw and washer down into the air inlet tube and had to get my wife's tiny hand to fetch it out.

My advice to you if you purchase this particular CAI -- not sure if it applies to the others -- is to put the boot on the throttle body first and THEN install the tube into the boot before finally fitting the tube into the airbox. That was at least what finally worked for me. It's a tight fit getting everything in there, and I probably made every mistake you could make.

Still, I already love it. It looks great under the hood, and I love the suction sound. Now, I'm REALLY excited to drive her around and see how much throttle response I gain.

Pics:

I also had my wife shoot a short video so you can see how it sounds with a little throttle. Ignore the elated dork at the end

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Just Installed Airaid CAI

Nice! But the video link won't work.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Nice! But the video link won't work.
Really? I just clicked on it, and it worked for me. I guess it is trying to protect y'all from my ugly mug.

I had a little pinging on one of my runs this evening. Could it be that I am maybe running a bit lean now with the CAI? The gas light was also on; so, I didn't know if that might have something to do with it?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the same one... My has been fine no problems and no pinging I have a MT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4221441555.png
Views:	717
Size:	846.8 KB
ID:	30993  

Other Pony:
1969 Mustang Coupe w/331 Stroker, 4.11 gears, x-Pipe with Spin techs
DannyDoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Video worked for me, I'm on an iPhone 4 . Looks great, I am also looking into getting one of those, seen the video on YouTube and really looked easy to install. Do you notice any improvements? I too love the suction sound!
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDoright View Post
I have the same one... My has been fine no problems and no pinging I have a MT
Mine never did any pinging before the tune. I know yours isn't tuned yet; so, it's just something to look out for if/when you tune it. Also could be that last bit of bad gas I might've had...gas light came on right before the pinging under hard acceleration.

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelar_5.0 View Post
Video worked for me, I'm on an iPhone 4 . Looks great, I am also looking into getting one of those, seen the video on YouTube and really looked easy to install. Do you notice any improvements? I too love the suction sound!
Haven't driven it enough yet to say for sure. The sound is what is absolutely unmistakable. This sucker ROARS under hard throttle but is unobtrusive when cruising. I'll have to take my focus off the sound to really assess any performance improvements.

The car pulled hard though even with a second passenger.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Awesome!..i also noticed the suction sound on my car when I installed a CAI...i can actually hear it through the vents from inside the car!!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Awesome!..i also noticed the suction sound on my car when I installed a CAI...i can actually hear it through the vents from inside the car!!..
Absolutely. It actually has me questioning whether or not I should put on an aftermarket exhaust now

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What are the best CAIs out there?
MVP u eNVy ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP u eNVy ME View Post
What are the best CAIs out there?
I guess it depends on whom you ask. The main three are Airaid, JLT, and C&L. They're all priced within $30 of each other, and all three give you similar power gains. The JLT has a carbon fiber heat shield, and both it and the C&L have pretty straight pipes. The Airaid appeared to be the only one that hooked into the factory air inlet, but the main reason I chose it was sound and ease of installation for an AT (i.e., didn't want to have to drill into the pipe).

The other player is Steeda, but their CAI is about $100 more, and it REQUIRES a tune. If it were the same price as the other intakes, I would've gone with it, but I honestly don't believe it offers much of a performance advantage, certainly not for costing about %50 more than the Airaid.

I'll let anyone else with a JLT, C&L, or Steeda correct me if I'm wrong about anything

Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Absolutely. It actually has me questioning whether or not I should put on an aftermarket exhaust now
Yes you should.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Holy crap...this isn't a difficult install as far as mechanical skills are related, but it is still a pain. Apparently, I must've just had butterfingers because I managed to drop a screw and washer down into the air inlet tube and had to get my wife's tiny hand to fetch it out.

My advice to you if you purchase this particular CAI -- not sure if it applies to the others -- is to put the boot on the throttle body first and THEN install the tube into the boot before finally fitting the tube into the airbox. That was at least what finally worked for me. It's a tight fit getting everything in there, and I probably made every mistake you could make.

Still, I already love it. It looks great under the hood, and I love the suction sound. Now, I'm REALLY excited to drive her around and see how much throttle response I gain.

Pics:

I also had my wife shoot a short video so you can see how it sounds with a little throttle. Ignore the elated dork at the end

Nice Mod! I take it your tune is better now and all worked out?

I like the video.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
Yes you should.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Nice Mod! I take it your tune is better now and all worked out?

I like the video.
Tune is better, but I am also running 93 octane on an 87S tune so...

Got my new tunes for the CAI today; so, I'll load up the 93HR tune tomorrow and see if I can avoid destroying my tires

Old 08-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

Tune is better, but I am also running 93 octane on an 87S tune so...

Got my new tunes for the CAI today; so, I'll load up the 93HR tune tomorrow and see if I can avoid destroying my tires
Are you still having any problems??

Other Pony:
1969 Mustang Coupe w/331 Stroker, 4.11 gears, x-Pipe with Spin techs
DannyDoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDoright View Post
Are you still having any problems??
I had pinging on one WOT run the evening after installing the CAI, but other than that, it's been just fine. The caveat there, though, is that I've been running 93 octane ever since to try to clean out the 87 so I can eventually load a 93 octane tune. Obviously, any timing errors will be much more forgiving with the 93.

I did some datalogging yesterday and sent it off to BAMA and am looking forward to hopefully getting some revised tunes later this afternoon. I'll load those up and see how she does.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had pinging on one WOT run the evening after installing the CAI, but other than that, it's been just fine. The caveat there, though, is that I've been running 93 octane ever since to try to clean out the 87 so I can eventually load a 93 octane tune. Obviously, any timing errors will be much more forgiving with the 93.

I did some datalogging yesterday and sent it off to BAMA and am looking forward to hopefully getting some revised tunes later this afternoon. I'll load those up and see how she does.
Awesome look forward to hearing about it all. I take it Bama is working better with you.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome look forward to hearing about it all. I take it Bama is working better with you.
It started out rocky but has improved considerably. I would've been pulled aside if I brushed off a client the way ONE of their techs did. You can run your mouth about a client behind closed doors, but NEVER act frustrated/annoyed with them. That's just bad business.

Fortunately, the rest of the guys I've worked with (Jim and Eric) have been awesome.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It started out rocky but has improved considerably. I would've been pulled aside if I brushed off a client the way ONE of their techs did. You can run your mouth about a client behind closed doors, but NEVER act frustrated/annoyed with them. That's just bad business.

Fortunately, the rest of the guys I've worked with (Jim and Eric) have been awesome.
That is awesome, good news all around as they do lots of business I'm sure and your issue kind of put me off a little. I'm glad to hear they are more friendly and it was only one guy.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is awesome, good news all around as they do lots of business I'm sure and your issue kind of put me off a little. I'm glad to hear they are more friendly and it was only one guy.
When did you get the GT???

Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When did you get the GT???
Last week. With deals going in I figured it would be better to trade now than wait 6-7 months when I got back.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Last week. With deals going in I figured it would be better to trade now than wait 6-7 months when I got back.
What gears? Planning any mods?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What gears? Planning any mods?
Just stock. The one I wanted had 3:73, but it was sold by the time I got into the dealer. Yeah, mods will come; right now I'm just playing around with some appearance mods (tint, quarter panel louvers). I'll wait for the CAI and others until I get back. I'd like to put an S/C on it, but I like the Boss 302 intake and may just do that and the gears, mufflers, etc. will come as well. I had 3:73 on my previous GT (2004) and may go 4:10 this time around. IDK yet, I will have a few months to research and make a list. LOL

It is a big difference from the V6; the power is just unbelievably different. More than I thought it would be.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
I guess it depends on whom you ask. The main three are Airaid, JLT, and C&L. They're all priced within $30 of each other, and all three give you similar power gains. The JLT has a carbon fiber heat shield, and both it and the C&L have pretty straight pipes. The Airaid appeared to be the only one that hooked into the factory air inlet, but the main reason I chose it was sound and ease of installation for an AT (i.e., didn't want to have to drill into the pipe).

The other player is Steeda, but their CAI is about $100 more, and it REQUIRES a tune. If it were the same price as the other intakes, I would've gone with it, but I honestly don't believe it offers much of a performance advantage, certainly not for costing about %50 more than the Airaid.

I'll let anyone else with a JLT, C&L, or Steeda correct me if I'm wrong about anything
You Should get an Exhaust now with H or X pipe, I have the Steeda CAI on my Mustang, but have the Airaid CAI on my Camaro, no problems with either, I put a Tune on both anyway, even though I heard also that Steeda needed a Tune. I think the problems you experienced at first, was the stock computer adjusting to the new stuff in your car. It takes the computer a minute or two to adjust, it's not instant. I also got on both cars a complete EXhaust upgrade. The V6 camaro sounds like an SS Camaro. If you do get a Tune, get it after the Exhaust add. I'm pretty sure you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just stock. The one I wanted had 3:73, but it was sold by the time I got into the dealer. Yeah, mods will come; right now I'm just playing around with some appearance mods (tint, quarter panel louvers). I'll wait for the CAI and others until I get back. I'd like to put an S/C on it, but I like the Boss 302 intake and may just do that and the gears, mufflers, etc. will come as well. I had 3:73 on my previous GT (2004) and may go 4:10 this time around. IDK yet, I will have a few months to research and make a list. LOL

It is a big difference from the V6; the power is just unbelievably different. More than I thought it would be.
It is a stupid amount of power. It took me a week or two to get adjusted to the V6 after driving the GT. You can literally squeal the tires at will, and that was in the manual GT with 3.55 gears. If you get 4.10s...it's over!

And a supercharger?!?!? Now, you're just talking crazy!

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
You Should get an Exhaust now with H or X pipe, I have the Steeda CAI on my Mustang, but have the Airaid CAI on my Camaro, no problems with either, I put a Tune on both anyway, even though I heard also that Steeda needed a Tune. I think the problems you experienced at first, was the stock computer adjusting to the new stuff in your car. It takes the computer a minute or two to adjust, it's not instant. I also got on both cars a complete EXhaust upgrade. The V6 camaro sounds like an SS Camaro. If you do get a Tune, get it after the Exhaust add. I'm pretty sure you will not be disappointed.
I would like to do that eventually. From what I've read, I think I will ultimately change out the rear LCAs and maybe the rear UCAs as well as X Pipe to aftermarket exhaust. I just don't plan on doing anything for a while because around $1,400 has been dumped into this car in the last month lol

The original problem could've been a combination of weather, ECU adjusting to tune, bad gas, etc. With the CAI, it probably was the computer having to figure everything out with the new, less restrictive intake.

I am strongly considering Borla and FRPP Sport exhausts. I just can't see spending $650 on mufflers though!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
It is a stupid amount of power. It took me a week or two to get adjusted to the V6 after driving the GT. You can literally squeal the tires at will, and that was in the manual GT with 3.55 gears. If you get 4.10s...it's over!

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

I would like to do that eventually. From what I've read, I think I will ultimately change out the rear LCAs and maybe the rear UCAs as well as X Pipe to aftermarket exhaust. I just don't plan on doing anything for a while because around $1,400 has been dumped into this car in the last month lol

The original problem could've been a combination of weather, ECU adjusting to tune, bad gas, etc. With the CAI, it probably was the computer having to figure everything out with the new, less restrictive intake.

I am strongly considering Borla and FRPP Sport exhausts. I just can't see spending $650 on mufflers though!
I know money is hard to spend/say goodby to. But you will not be dissappointed with that spend.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It is, I can't belive it and so much more than my 04. It just wants to go. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai