Issues cranking 2012 v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Red face Issues cranking 2012 v6

Def a newb. Any one here with a 2011 or 2012 3.7 having issues cranking it up.

The sequence:
Turn key to on position,
Let dials sweep fully (being patient, because the manual says to),
Turn key to start position: engine proceeds to crank for 3-5 long seconds before finally starting.

Done this now 5 or 6 times over the last week and half.

It seems to only do this when the car has had time to cool off or good duration from running. I feel like it is not got enough fuel pressure for starting and is slow to build up. Once started runs great.

Going to try to catch the phantom issue on video so I can show the dealer I only sound crazy. But when they try to start I have no doubt it will behave perfectly. Only under warranty if they can find what is wrong with it.

Any Ideas?
krgorham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do you have a tune? I have a 2012 v6 MT.. I have about 6k and I have a tune and no problems yet.. Take it to the dealer and make them check/ fix it.

Other Pony:
1969 Mustang Coupe w/331 Stroker, 4.11 gears, x-Pipe with Spin techs
DannyDoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

Re: Issues cranking 2012 v6

No tune yet, haven't even broke a 1k in the mileage yet. Planning on wasting Saturday morning to see what the dealer says about it.

Naturally now that I am trying to catch it on video, it is behaving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
You must not be treating your stang right, its very common maybe it need a car wash or some octane booster, hope you get the problem fixed, don't be afraid too give them a piece of your mind!
snakebitv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

Good News there isn't anything wrong with the car just the driver.

Found out the car has a "one touch" system. Suppose to put in the key in let the guages sweep and then just bumping the key to start the start position and let it back to the "on" position. This lets the computer take over start the car and keep the car running.

I have been doing this ever since and no issues.

Apparently a lot of GT's have been having the same issue where you bump the keep to the start position and hold it til it starts.

The theory is by holding the key doesn't allow the starter sequence work properly.

Thinking there might be something wrong with the ignition system, shouldn't matter if you held or one touch I would think.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by krgorham
Good News there isn't anything wrong with the car just the driver.

Found out the car has a "one touch" system. Suppose to put in the key in let the guages sweep and then just bumping the key to start the start position and let it back to the "on" position. This lets the computer take over start the car and keep the car running.

I have been doing this ever since and no issues.

Apparently a lot of GT's have been having the same issue where you bump the keep to the start position and hold it til it starts.

The theory is by holding the key doesn't allow the starter sequence work properly.

Thinking there might be something wrong with the ignition system, shouldn't matter if you held or one touch I would think.
I have this issue with my 2011 GT. I've had it over a year, it's almost got 19k miles on it. I'm aware that you only have to bump the ignition but still every once in a while it will continually crank for about 5 seconds. On an even more rarely of an occasion it'll crank and crank without starting. The dealer kept it for four days and found nothing.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

Something I did notice and told the dealer to try and they got to watch the issue in action. Park the car on an incline front facing downhill and start it cold. This seems to highlight the problem. That is when I got the one touch speech. Which makes me think there is something in the electrical system for the fuel pump either not ready or in adequate pressure.
My car is a manual so you notice elevation changes when taking off a lot. The first time it really did this was with these circumstances. Downhill facing and been sitting a few hours.
The kicker for this issue is my wife has a 2012 v6 six speed as well. Absolutely no issues.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You guys talk about turning the key to on and then turning it to start, whether its a "bump" or hold. I've had mine over a year and I've always just jumped in and started it. I don't wait for the needles to sweep, I just put the key in and turn it to start. I have almost 25k on the odometer and I have never had any issues with the car doing anything but start right up immediately. So far, my only problem was caused by ground squirrels attacking the wiring and I'm about to get the car back from the dealership soon.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

My G8 had this touch stuff. I never really noticed a difference form my vehicles that didn't have it. Never knew the mustang did either. I just start it. Never had to hold the key though to crank it.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

usually if the gauges sweep like that (on the older cars at least) its a sign of the battery losing power etc or you had the battery unhooked and hooked it up they can do that~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

@Spector at least on the newer Mustangs the guage sweep is a part of the start up. I believe its a part of the computer's self diagnostic sweep.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 v6