Does Tuning really increase MPG? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Does Tuning really increase MPG?

Looking at getting the BAMA tune, not sure which one as I want more low end torque but overall more power cause right now my 3.7 under 3k rpm is pretty much worthless. Heard the hybrid tune is pretty good but not wanting to kill mpg's as that was the purpose of getting a 3.7 and not the 5.0. Now I know it won't help if I put my foot in it (which i probably will lol). Are there any good 87 tunes or is 93 the way to go? Trying to justify the 30-40 extra a month in gas but if 93 maybe gets an extra 2-3mpg it could almost balance out.

Also since the 2011+ V6's have a factory CAI would getting an aftermarket one for 300 really help? I mean if it's only 2-3hp then im going to skip on it and just throw in a K&N and a tune.

Any help here would be much appreciated guys!
Reverse Sensing & Security Package
2012Stang4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Does Tuning really increase MPG?

I haven't done enough data analysis to say yea or nay. Almost as soon as I switched over to the 93 Hybrid tune, my wife's car bit it, and I had to let her drive the Mustang since our 3rd car is a stick, and she can't drive a stick...nor would I want to pay for the damage.

As far as MPG increase with a tune is concerned, I haven't noticed it on the 87, but I drive it harder as a result, and I also changed out the gears before I got the tune.

I think you could talk to BAMA, and they could write you something that is a bit more fuel efficient, but I don't believe all the hype of "greater performance AND fuel economy!" Let's be realistic, the performance comes at the expense of fuel economy. If there were some magic button that did it all, don't you think Ford would've programmed it as such so as to boast against the Camaro and Challenger numbers?

The reality is that Ford programs the car stock to give you a nice dose of power and as much safe fuel economy as you can get over a wide band of climates.

I'd say get the tune if you want the performance increase because I can definitely vouch for that

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I have an SCT chip in my car with multiple tunes. And all the tunes seem to better on MPG then w/o the chip. My car is 95 5.0L GT. I know yours is way newer.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

idk i drive the car way too hard since i got my tune to tell. also cant remember since its been tuned for like 2 years. either way if your worried about money stick with 87. the biggest bump in performance is no tune to tune, not really 87-93

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

depends on what is modified in the tune
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
A tune will not give you better mpg's... But it can give you better performance without sacrificing your mpg... The only way to get better mpg is through things like CAI, exhaust, etc... And mostly to keep your foot out of the gas!.. But we all drive Mustangs so that last one probably isn't realistic!!... Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
A tune will not give you better mpg's... But it can give you better performance without sacrificing your mpg... The only way to get better mpg is through things like CAI, exhaust, etc... And mostly to keep your foot out of the gas!.. But we all drive Mustangs so that last one probably isn't realistic!!... Lol
I can say for certain my MPG went up by 4-5 on the highway after installing my chip
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

It also depends on how aggressive the "tune" is. The more agressive the tune, the lower your MPGs will be. You can tune a car for all sorts of things including MPGs, HP, Torque or somewhere in between. As Spector said above, it really depends on your mods coupled with what you want to get out of the car.
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I can say for certain my MPG went up by 4-5 on the highway after installing my chip
Then your one in a million!... Mine stayed the same... Performance jumped up!.. But the mpg stayed the same... And my tune was my first mod... Then came the CAI and exhaust and some other things!....
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Then your one in a million!... Mine stayed the same... Performance jumped up!.. But the mpg stayed the same... And my tune was my first mod... Then came the CAI and exhaust and some other things!....
I have CAI, and full exhaust minus headers and MSD ignition
Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #11

Region: Texas
So all y'all with the CAI did you notice a big difference between ur mpg and performance before and after? If the factory intake is a CAI I don't see how much more it could help for almost $300 to add a cone filter and a heat shield with a slightly dif inlet. I mean why not drop a K&N and keep the housing for a 7th of the cost? The older mustangs I see why you would but the 11' and up I don't but again I'm not an expert.
Reverse Sensing & Security Package
2012Stang4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I have CAI, and full exhaust minus headers and MSD ignition
My point being!.. That I did my tune first and had zero or right next to zero improvements on my mpg!.. So just doing a tune alone you will not notice a real improvement from your mpg!.. After I added my exhaust and CAI I did notice an increase in mpg!.. A tune does nothing more than maximize you air fuel mixture!.. If you want to increase your mpg then you need to do things that frees up the power your engine is making!.. Such as CAI, exhaust, pulleys, etc.....

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Doing mods to your engine to make it work less... Will increase your mpg's!.... The less work it has to do the less fuel it will burn!...
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Stang4Me
So all y'all with the CAI did you notice a big difference between ur mpg and performance before and after? If the factory intake is a CAI I don't see how much more it could help for almost $300 to add a cone filter and a heat shield with a slightly dif inlet. I mean why not drop a K&N and keep the housing for a 7th of the cost? The older mustangs I see why you would but the 11' and up I don't but again I'm not an expert.
Haven't dyno'ed her, but I didn't notice a huge power improvement with the CAI after the tune, but it sounds soooo good. And it looks great under the hood. HP gains or not, it's a palpable improvement.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang