Cold Air Intake? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Cold Air Intake?

I just upgraded to a 2012 V6 and want something to make it sound a little mean and possibly add some horsepower. I'm looking for something that won't get me noise complaints (I live in one of those areas and would rather not wake people up) but also want my Stang to let it's presence be known a little more than the stock.

From what I have read around the forums a CAI is the way to go but I am not too car savvy so if you could point me to the right website to look at my options and your personal suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!
BlackStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: Cold Air Intake?

Here's my opinion "BlackStag". Keep in mind that I have a V8, so there is a little difference. I suggest a "H" mid pipe, they say the "H" gives a deeper Old school sound. Some Mufflers are louder than others, so that goes to you on preference, I use MagnaFlow, but let me explain and clarify something, many companies have variations in their Mufflers. I have MagnaFlow on both my cars: On the Camaro V6, I got a Deep Tone sounding muffler, many people and SS Camaro owners think it's a SS Camaro at first. On my Mustang, I have Aggressive "Balls to the Wall" MUfflers, both cars sound different, but you can tell something was done, Both cars have a "X" pipe setup. Be specific when you go to a shop when telling them what you want in sound. "Do not get" the Aggressive sounding Mufflers. I know for a fact that Flowmasters are Loud as Hell. Good luck with all that.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A CAI with a tune will add HP, but if you are looking more for sound, then you will want to work on your exhaust. I'm not familiar with the options for the V6, but you will need to consider what you want more for the budget you have. Speaking of...are you looking to get an intake/exhaust combo? Or does your budget limit you to one? If so, do you prefer changing sound, or getting more HP?

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
CAIs are a good place to start. Check Americanmuscle.com its a great site. No cai will ever give u noise complaints but you will notice a slightly throatier sound from your exhaust, and acceleration will sound more aggressive. Stick with a simple start like a CAI or axle-back exhausts at first, as neither will be overwhelmingly loud which you seem to be worried about. Then you can progress from there if you think you want more balls to the wall sound with cat-backs, headers, etc

2012, Performance Package, C&L CAI, Magnaflow catbacks, Katzkin Cream leather interior
Mayhem48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem48 View Post
CAIs are a good place to start. Check Americanmuscle.com its a great site. No cai will ever give u noise complaints but you will notice a slightly throatier sound from your exhaust, and acceleration will sound more aggressive. Stick with a simple start like a CAI or axle-back exhausts at first, as neither will be overwhelmingly loud which you seem to be worried about. Then you can progress from there if you think you want more balls to the wall sound with cat-backs, headers, etc
+1

KATO is right, but if you're not too car savvy, you're probably not going to want to do too much of this yourself, and shops charge you an arm and a leg. I am a novice, myself, and installing the CAI is very straightforward. I won't call it easy, though, unless you have magnets for fingers and/or have tiny hands.

The CAI sounds like a great place to start for sound/cost as well. You'll definitely hear a difference under acceleration, but you won't have to worry about it sounding like a diesel dually when it's just idling.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
Here's my opinion "BlackStag". Keep in mind that I have a V8, so there is a little difference. I suggest a "H" mid pipe, they say the "H" gives a deeper Old school sound. Some Mufflers are louder than others, so that goes to you on preference, I use MagnaFlow, but let me explain and clarify something, many companies have variations in their Mufflers. I have MagnaFlow on both my cars: On the Camaro V6, I got a Deep Tone sounding muffler, many people and SS Camaro owners think it's a SS Camaro at first. On my Mustang, I have Aggressive "Balls to the Wall" MUfflers, both cars sound different, but you can tell something was done, Both cars have a "X" pipe setup. Be specific when you go to a shop when telling them what you want in sound. "Do not get" the Aggressive sounding Mufflers. I know for a fact that Flowmasters are Loud as Hell. Good luck with all that.
So either MagnaFlow or "H" Midpipe. Which muffles do you have on your Camaro V6 specifically? So you don't suggest a CAI at all as most other people seem to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
A CAI with a tune will add HP, but if you are looking more for sound, then you will want to work on your exhaust. I'm not familiar with the options for the V6, but you will need to consider what you want more for the budget you have. Speaking of...are you looking to get an intake/exhaust combo? Or does your budget limit you to one? If so, do you prefer changing sound, or getting more HP?
I was leaning more towards the CAI because I wanted to get some extra HP along with the sound and from what I had read around the forums I figured that would be the case. I am looking to spend $1,000 max right now but will probably put more in depending on how it feels after that. I would prefer adding a little sound while accelerating (not too worried about idle souds, I just want it to be heard when speeding up and not when going 25mph through some neighborhoods).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem48 View Post
I will check out AM and see what I can find. I wish they had some sound bites of the different additions to compare. Sounds like a CAI would be the best choice since it won't a ton of noise while also giving HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
+1

KATO is right, but if you're not too car savvy, you're probably not going to want to do too much of this yourself, and shops charge you an arm and a leg. I am a novice, myself, and installing the CAI is very straightforward. I won't call it easy, though, unless you have magnets for fingers and/or have tiny hands.

The CAI sounds like a great place to start for sound/cost as well. You'll definitely hear a difference under acceleration, but you won't have to worry about it sounding like a diesel dually when it's just idling.
About how much should I be looking to pay? Like I said, I am now starting to break out of stock so don't have much experience with this and don't want to get ripped off by a dealer that sees how little I know.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is greatly appreciated!
BlackStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Labor rates differ on where you live and where you go. I am not exactly hung ho about taking my Stang to Midas or some other place to do this work even though they'd probably do a good job; so, dealerships and performance shops are going to charge a premium - whatever that ends up being.

You can do the axleback mufflers yourself, but I had requested a quote from my dealership a few months ago. I was willing to pay them about $50 to do it since they have a lift, and I'm not exactly the smallest guy. I can't remember what they were going to charge exactly, but it was laughable - something like 2 hours of labor at $100/hr!!!!!

I can safely recommend you installing a CAI and tune yourself. You'll spend about as much on that combo ($600) as you would on just a nice pair of axlebacks alone (before labor), and you'll get way more bang for the buck, IMO.

Just be cognizant of the fact that your dealership will probably not like the fact that your car is tuned and has a CAI

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStag

So either MagnaFlow or "H" Midpipe. Which muffles do you have on your Camaro V6 specifically? So you don't suggest a CAI at all as most other people seem to be?

I was leaning more towards the CAI because I wanted to get some extra HP along with the sound and from what I had read around the forums I figured that would be the case. I am looking to spend $1,000 max right now but will probably put more in depending on how it feels after that. I would prefer adding a little sound while accelerating (not too worried about idle souds, I just want it to be heard when speeding up and not when going 25mph through some neighborhoods).

I will check out AM and see what I can find. I wish they had some sound bites of the different additions to compare. Sounds like a CAI would be the best choice since it won't a ton of noise while also giving HP.

About how much should I be looking to pay? Like I said, I am now starting to break out of stock so don't have much experience with this and don't want to get ripped off by a dealer that sees how little I know.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is greatly appreciated!
Installing a CAI should be a breeze and a good way of getting some experience. Along with a tuner, you should be able to get a nice bump in HP. Talk to AM - they can supply a CAI + tuner combo with free tunes for life. You can have multiple tunes for your car so that you can drive it as aggressively as you like. This might improve your sound a little, but when you want to get louder, definitely look at a catback or axleback to start.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

You should also be able to install axlebacks by yourself. I wouldn't go to a dealer or shop to install this stuff unless you are completely afraid of messing something up. These are easy bolt on mods that will help you get hands on experience.

Like stated above, be aware that dealers are looking to revoke your warranty if they find a tune on your car.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

On my Camaro V6, I have CAI (Airaid), got pics in my Albums on here. And the Mufflers are MagnaFlows, the H or X pipe can be any Brand you choose. Both my cars have MagnaFlow mufflers, just different models of mufflers.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #10

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
On my Camaro V6, I have CAI (Airaid), got pics in my Albums on here. And the Mufflers are MagnaFlows, the H or X pipe can be any Brand you choose. Both my cars have MagnaFlow mufflers, just different models of mufflers.
Kato who cares about your friggin camaro this is a MUSTANG webpage go with your own kind

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

We did a CAI,custom tune,and dual exhaust conversion on our '10 V6 (to start) had no problems with warranty,parts from Ford Racing catalog,Ford dealer did install almost 2500 total parts and labor

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Again,Why are we talking about a camaro?
wendyspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyspony

Kato who cares about your friggin camaro this is a MUSTANG webpage go with your own kind
Again,Why are we talking about a camaro? Because I love camaros all day long and nights and holidays!!!
It's his wife's car. Besides, he's offering his knowledge regarding CAI's and V6's! There's no rule that we can only talk about mustangs! What are you, the mustang Nazi? Lol, I'm jk! KATO's a kick *** dude! Respect!

Btw, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I agree that CAI and Tune is the best first combo to go with. It won't really give you much sound outside of the car, but it will drive and shift much more aggressively. This should add roughly 15-20 WHP for about $600-$700 depending on what/where you buy. Depending on your comfort, this should be a relatively straight forward DIY project that should take roughly 60-90 minutes including the tune install. Axle back mufflers are a fairly easy job too... I did it in my driveway with jack stands, socket set and a buddy in about 60 minutes. The hardest part is removing and reinstalling the muffler hangars. You may also have to remove & bend the hangars to line up & center the exhaust pipes.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStag View Post
I just upgraded to a 2012 V6 and want something to make it sound a little mean and possibly add some horsepower. I'm looking for something that won't get me noise complaints (I live in one of those areas and would rather not wake people up) but also want my Stang to let it's presence be known a little more than the stock.

From what I have read around the forums a CAI is the way to go but I am not too car savvy so if you could point me to the right website to look at my options and your personal suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!
Hey hey, call AM ask questions, great folks have plenty of know how. cant go wrong brotha!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Black Stang,

I have a 2011 v6 stang and for a great aggressive but not obnoxiously loud sound, go with Flowmasters exhaust. I have them on my 11 stang and they sound bad a$$. Louder than the v8 stock. You can find the pair for under 400.00 dollars on line.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It's his wife's car. Besides, he's offering his knowledge regarding CAI's and V6's! There's no rule that we can only talk about mustangs! What are you, the mustang Nazi? Lol, I'm jk! KATO's a kick *** dude! Respect!

Btw, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you!
Thanks for the support "primer2tone", I guess I offended that "Newbie" with my comment about V6 car, I will make sure that I never offend that person again, and will never talk to them about anything else Other than my V8 Mustang GT. I'm sorry, did I forget to mention "MY V8 MUSTANG GT".LOL.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
Thanks for the support "primer2tone", I guess I offended that "Newbie" with my comment about V6 car, I will make sure that I never offend that person again, and will never talk to them about anything else Other than my V8 Mustang GT. I'm sorry, did I forget to mention "MY V8 MUSTANG GT".LOL.
I think the noob was just kidding although I have to admit that I look at Camaros now and think someone made the wrong choice

Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

As for CAI, I ordered the C&L from AmericanMuscle.com and absolutely love it
Dreamtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake