Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2012 V6 Auto Tranny Leak at 4,900 miles

Tags
2012 v6
12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  brian123 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I thought I was in the V6 area, not GT, if a mod can move it, that would be great. I'm such a newb.

Thought I post my surprise taking my new Mustang in for its first free for life oil change at 4,900 miles after exactly 6 months, plus rotating tires. As mentioned in the title, they spotted a leak in the transmission. They didn't know the source, and mentioned something like having to look around the belts, which is about all I was told.

I brought the car back in a few days later for them to work on it. They gave me a Ford Focus rental from Enterprise that's on their lot, not exactly a Mustang, plus shutters and jumpy with light gas from a stop with only 12k miles on it, not fun. So the Mustang was dropped off last Tuesday, they ordered parts and finished it this last Monday. I'll be picking up today. I tried to ask for details about the cause, but it seemed like the service adviser didn't have it on hand and I had to get back to work.

So when I pick the Mustang up I'll try to get all the details about what caused this problem on a new car. I hear there have been a lot of issues with manuals, but didn't expect anything from a new automatic. I haven't been hard on the car either. I really miss her this last week after driving the Ford Focus, which does have some initial zip to it, but overall lacking and a bit unwieldy.

See less See more
#3 ·
Will do, hope it was something simple. They had a few parts on hand but had to wait for a few more to arrive before working on it Monday.

I came across this site after googling tranny leaks and finding nearly the exact same issue from a member here with a GT during its first oil change too, but hasn't been updated with the cause yet: www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t297570/

#4 ·
Interesting you would bring that up since it's the exact same circumstance ... I mean completely identical.

Also, that guy has 8 posts and every single one is a thread he started that is locked now. Don't take it too personally, but this smells a bit suspicious to me.

#8 ·
Napoleon85 said:
I don't think so ... I have threads that are much older and not locked. My guess would be that a mod cleaned the thread out and then locked it.

Anyways, I would love to see a copy of the paperwork you get from your dealer when they have fixed it. The other guy never posted anything back and hasn't posted anything in a log time so it will be interesting to see exactly what the cause and remedy of this was.
I know of no auto-locking. It's likely just as you say, cleaned and locked. Can't say for sure though.

#9 ·
CHECK THIS OUT
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t298486/

F*$K FORD!!!

I GOT A NEW 2012 V6 MUSTANG W/MT LAST MAY, I HAVE 12K AND I WAS DOING MY OIL TWO WEEKS AGO AND FOUND A TRANNY LEAK. SO I TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL FORD DEALERSHIP AND THEY SAID THE SAME THING THAT THEY COULDN'T FIND WHERE MY LEAK WAS COMING FROM. SO THEY HAD TO TEAR DOWN MY TRANSMISSION. AND FOUND MY SECOND GEAR SYNCRO TWO TEETH BROKEN OFF. WHICH MAKES SENSE BECAUSE LATELY MY SECOND GEAR HAS BEEN ACTING FUNNY.
FORD TRY TO TELL ME THAT I ABUSE MY CAR AND THEY ARE NOT GOING TO COVER IT UNDER WARRANTY. I'VE NEVER RACE MY CAR BUT I DO HAVE INTAKE AND TUNE. IT TOOK ME WEEK AND HALF FIGHTING THEM ON THIS AND FINALLY THEY SAID THEY WOULD COVER IT BUT I HAD TO CALL FORD CUSTOMER CARE TO GET IT DONE. ITS BEEN TWO WEEKS NOW AND NO CAR, THEY SAID I SHOULD HAVE MY CAR BY THIS FRIDAY. STRESS STRESS AND MORE STRESS......:(

I'LL POST PICTURES OF MY TRANNY LATER

#10 ·
I'll be picking it up in 30 minutes.

Meast553 did just reply in his thread with an update. He says it with the pump for the transmission, and that there's a TSB out for possible leaks in the transmission of 2012 Mustangs for certain manufactured dates and instructs to replace the fuel pump. I just hope my service department new of it before taking everything apart to find the cause when they could of started there.

With a google search, it turns out to be TSB 11-8-4:

Someone posted the raw text from the TSB on this site:
2011 and 2012 Mustang RECALL??? - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forums

I'll find out soon if that was the issue with my Mustang or not.

#11 · (Edited)
The report I got showed the TSB referred to above, and a host of parts. I'll scan it when I have a chance. It was 5 minutes to closing so I didn't bother to have them call anyone to explain the repair. Though, I find it sad that they wouldn't automatically walk you through what was done to your new car. I think I'd like to know if the whole thing was disassembled to replace a pump.

I'm driving it around to make sure it feels the same. Though, maybe I'm paranoid, but I kept hearing extra sounds when accelerating. Kind of overlaid on top of the normal acceleration noise, but just a bit out of sync that made it stand out. Might it's just in my head. Seemed to come from below and to the right. I wasn't focusing on the sound as I left the dealer, just testing responsiveness to gas in various situations when I randomly popped out to my ear.

Danny, really sad to hear the trouble they put you through. You shouldn't have to worry about going in for a repair under warranty because of some dealer's personal opinion about the car being abused. Just sucks that they look at everyone as guilty instead of just doing the repair so no one innocent is punished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.