exhaust & warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
exhaust & warranty

does exhaust affect warranty?

also, anyone got some clips of exhaust on a 3.7?
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6
does exhaust affect warranty?

also, anyone got some clips of exhaust on a 3.7?
No it doesn't
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Magnaflow

Flowmaster

People have different tastes for sound and these videos don't do the justice as in person. But either one or another type it's gunna sound great hope this helps out!!!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012

Magnaflow

Flowmaster

People have different tastes for sound and these videos don't do the justice as in person. But either one or another type it's gunna sound great hope this helps out!!!
Thx!!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: exhaust & warranty

i almost ordered an axle back system but i emailed my dealer to check and they sent me this

this is my first post i hope the pic shows. "low restriction exhaust" i dont know if axle back setups can be qualified as this but i wouldn't risk anything voiding my warranty. The transmission issues are what almost stopped me from buying this car and i don't want Ford to have any excuses when something goes wrong. I know exhaust/manual transmissions do not affect eachother but by doing something that can void your warranty, you break the contract so they break your coverage.

i wonder if Canadians have different warranty conditions than our American friends?

very nice stang btw...i wish that colour was available still for 2012 models.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Thanks for the info! And I didn't realize the color wasn't continued for the 2012 models
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012

Magnaflow

Flowmaster

Got to finally check these out. Think I like flow masters the best. The magnaflow is a damn close second though. Checked out the 3 borla setups and too much popcorning for me...
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6

Got to finally check these out. Think I like flow masters the best. The magnaflow is a damn close second though. Checked out the 3 borla setups and too much popcorning for me...
I have the magnaflow on mine and I love them. But every person has there own taste.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
Check out Corsa Exhaust, they are about as pricy as Borla, but they don't have any popcorning and they make a V6 sound REALLY close to a V8.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

Region: New Mexico
I'm new to this I'm 18 and I have a new 5.0 kona blue mustang an I want to kno what all I can install without voiding my warranty I'm from a small town were racing is a big thing
Venom5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom5.0
I'm new to this I'm 18 and I have a new 5.0 kona blue mustang an I want to kno what all I can install without voiding my warranty I'm from a small town were racing is a big thing
Not much really
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom5.0
Cold air that's it
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom5.0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonboy09 View Post
Cold air that's it
Anybody read my post just above? This is direct from my dealer. i am in canada but I'm sure the U.S has the same rules. It states no low restrictiction air intake systems. I think alot of new mustang owners will learn a very valuable lesson once they need warranty service. Companies will do everything possible to not pay. They will spend more time and effort finding out how to not do the work than anything else.

Things go wrong, don't have the "it wont happen to me" approach.

Mind you cold air is easily reverted back to stock intake...sooo.... :p
Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

The ford dealer I go to told me that my cold air intake will not void the warranty as long as it does not require a tune and that it is not found to be the cause of a catastrophic failure. My exhaust is ford racing sport exhaust it has the same warranty from ford thast my car does. Now this is from a US dealer so I do think that the warranties vary from the US and Canada. But you should still call the dealer and the ask the service manager before you purchase a mod.
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

In the U.S., in order for a modification to void your warranty, the manufacturer has to prove that the cause of the failure was the modification. In other words, an exhaust modification or a CAI kit can't void the warranty when the failure is something like the transmission. Main thing for us is that reprogramming the computer or doing any modifications to the rotating assembly or adding a power adder will most likely void the car's warranty.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedsoldier
In the U.S., in order for a modification to void your warranty, the manufacturer has to prove that the cause of the failure was the modification. In other words, an exhaust modification or a CAI kit can't void the warranty when the failure is something like the transmission. Main thing for us is that reprogramming the computer or doing any modifications to the rotating assembly or adding a power adder will most likely void the car's warranty.
This is what I was thinking. What could they say exhaust would mess up?
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm no mechanical genius, but there is a greater chance of damage to the engine if you INCREASE the restriction of the exhaust system(think potato in the tailpipe) than there is in reducing the restriction. Besides, the companies that make aftermarket exhaust systems do extensive testing to find the optimal sizing for the header tubes, collectors, catalytic converters and pipes. In almost every case an aftermarket exhaust actually improves the performance of the engine and it is one piece of the car that doesn't require a change to the programming of the computer (unless you go with an off-road mid pipe that is).
Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Thanks, I was thinking the same
Again, but wasn't sure. I always thought exhaust was actually better for the engine.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
This is what I was thinking. What could they say exhaust would mess up?
Im not trying to sound like a prick, you guys have to realize with warranties, they will do anything to not compensate. Everyone has that "it wont happen to me" approach but they can easily come up with a bs answer why your exhaust caused an engine failure, or your cai let large contaminants in. At the end of they day its their decision to pay for repairs or not. The legal minded folk usually dont know much about the engineering side, they just want to do anything to prove a ruling in their favour.

Oh i see you have an aftrmarket axle back exhaust there, well that affected compression and engine timing. Sorry sir you owe $4500 for your new transmission.

Of course that doesnt make any sense. But they will think it does. They wont even know what axle back is. You cant leave any excuses here, you pay all this money for a new car....honour the warranty. Look at saab. They were selling brand new ones last month for fractions of msrp because they came with no warranty.

Again, I just want to put reality into perspective here, Ford isnt your friend as soon as you pick up your car. They fix it only when they have to...but they follow the contract (what i put above) VERY closely, any inkling of you not following this then you are saying you wish to break the contract (warranty).

I'm freaking out that i have to punch two holes in my trunklid for my new spoiler, it will void the body warranty, no way ill go modding anything else mechanically.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
Im not trying to sound like a prick, you guys have to realize with warranties, they will do anything to not compensate. Everyone has that "it wont happen to me" approach but they can easily come up with a bs answer why your exhaust caused an engine failure, or your cai let large contaminants in. At the end of they day its their decision to pay for repairs or not. The legal minded folk usually dont know much about the engineering side, they just want to do anything to prove a ruling in their favour.

Oh i see you have an aftrmarket axle back exhaust there, well that affected compression and engine timing. Sorry sir you owe $4500 for your new transmission.

Of course that doesnt make any sense. But they will think it does. They wont even know what axle back is. You cant leave any excuses here, you pay all this money for a new car....honour the warranty. Look at saab. They were selling brand new ones last month for fractions of msrp because they came with no warranty.

Again, I just want to put reality into perspective here, Ford isnt your friend as soon as you pick up your car. They fix it only when they have to...but they follow the contract (what i put above) VERY closely, any inkling of you not following this then you are saying you wish to break the contract (warranty).

I'm freaking out that i have to punch two holes in my trunklid for my new spoiler, it will void the body warranty, no way ill go modding anything else mechanically.
Of all the people I've seen post on this forum and others, you are certainly the most skeptic and fearful of voiding the warranty. You do have a point in what you've said and posted, but the courts have been ruling in favor of the consumer in these dispute cases. I will say that most people that own Mustangs aren't majorly concerned with their warranties, but some are, especially with the problems from the manual transmission. In the case of the transmission, Ford has the findings of the NTSB (which IMHO are suspect).

In my personal experience, I think it all depends on the dealership. If the dealership is Roush, Shelby, or even Saleen authorized they are typically more likely to honor warranties if the car has been modified because they actually know whats going on and what affects what. A few months ago I had to take my car in because of an electrical problem. I though it was a warranty issue and I have a CAI and throttle body spacer installed. As it turned out, the damage wasn't warranty related, it had been caused by rodent damage (we have ground squirrels). But in my whole dealings with the dealership, there was no mention of my mods being a problem with the warranty.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Rodent damage! Thats a new one. Sorry to hear that.

I'm not skeptical...I'm straight up paranoid. I'm not saying people shouldn't mod their cars. I just hate warranties in general. They get voided way too easily. The last thing I want to see is a fellow Mustang member have to pay for problems that clearly were not their fault.

My dealer is an SVT Authorized one. They were the ones who sent me those conditions. I know if you take the cases to court the owner would win many times, but i dont want to take things to court or deal with proving why i should be covered. I just want to be covered no excuses, no issues, just a yes sir we will fix it asap. Cai and certain exhausts can easily be swapped back to stock...but if my car is having issues, doing back to stock swaps is just too stressful.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust