Just got a ticket today - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just got a ticket today

Said I was doing 50 in a 25 (school zone) and had illegal tint. school zone was a joke as the speed limit there is 45, and I was past that point. Also, it was a total speed trap.

Can't argue about the tint - it's definitely illegally dark. As ridiculous as that is.

Bowl of suck.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Just got a ticket today

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Said I was doing 50 in a 25 (school zone) and had illegal tint. school zone was a joke as the speed limit there is 45, and I was past that point. Also, it was a total speed trap.

Can't argue about the tint - it's definitely illegally dark. As ridiculous as that is.

Bowl of suck.
Ouch watch the School zones. Where were you if you don't mind me asking? What did they say about the tint?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
In NC they call it improper equipment.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

If you go to the states website they have form that you can fill out and get signed by your DR. and your legal that way.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

tint laws are for everyones safety....

#1. to make sure you can safely see out of your vehicle at night

#2. so that an officer can see wut your doing during a traffic stop and can "clearly" see you arent reaching for an weapon or hiding contraband. mainly, the weapon part though. and thats why cops hate illegal tint.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

^ this is true.
Speed limits are there for a reason too
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
The MAN is always putting limits on my ****!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have learned and ask this to every cop i have ever talked to.

Window Tint IS ONLY a minor misdemeanor and can only be ADDED onto a ticket. A cop cannot pull you over for just window tint. So they look for anything and i mean ANYTHING to pull you over so they can hit you with the tint ticket. I have been pulled over twice just in regards to window tint and when the conversation goes as follows

Do you know why i pulled you over?

No

Your windows are a little dark.

Is that the only reason why I was pulled over officer?

Yes.

Ok, before you pull out the piece of glass to test the meter, I am aware that Tint laws are considered a minor misdemeanor and I am actually not in the wrong for any moving violations or any other major infraction therefor aren't I good to go?

Have a good day

and thats all that can be done. Most cops (i will not say abuse the law) but expect us not to know it. Spend a few hours a week studying some of your local laws and use them to your benefit.

my BEST two pieces of advice are:

If a cop asks you to search your car. you CAN say no. you do NOT have to let them search.

If you are at all Uncomfortable or would like to talk to someone else. Ask to speak with his CO (Commanding Officer) and by law they have to show.

hope this helps for your future.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT

Window Tint IS ONLY a minor misdemeanor and can only be ADDED onto a ticket. A cop cannot pull you over for just window tint. So they look for anything and i mean ANYTHING to pull you over so they can hit you with the tint ticket. I have been pulled over twice just in regards to window tint and when the conversation goes as follows

No

Yes.

Ok, before you pull out the piece of glass to test the meter, I am aware that Tint laws are considered a minor misdemeanor and I am actually not in the wrong for any moving violations or any other major infraction therefor aren't I good to go?

Have a good day

and thats all that can be done. Most cops (i will not say abuse the law) but expect us not to know it. Spend a few hours a week studying some of your local laws and use them to your benefit.

If a cop asks you to search your car. you CAN say no. you do NOT have to let them search.

If you are at all Uncomfortable or would like to talk to someone else. Ask to speak with his CO (Commanding Officer) and by law they have to show.

These types of things vary state to state, in NC if you say no to a search they then have probable cause/suspension that you are hiding something..I've been burned several times because of this. In places like DC an Cali you can't have any tint, where as in FL it can be pretty dark legally.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

In theory that sounds great but where I live... That kinda talk will get you a busted tail light and then 2 tickets. I've gone to jail plenty of times for calling an officer out on a clear violation of my rights. Truth is, sucky cops are out there and they'll abuse the law whenever they want.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

No

Yes.

Have a good day

These things vary from state to state, and some times even county to county!.. Or if your in Louisiana then it's from Parish to parish!.. Lol.

In Michigan they can pull you over just for tint!.. But you can have your back windows nearly solid black!.. But you can't have anything on your front windows that covers more than the top 3inches!.. Lol.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
These things vary from state to state, and some times even county to county!.. Or if your in Louisiana then it's from Parish to parish!.. Lol.

In Michigan they can pull you over just for tint!.. But you can have your back windows nearly solid black!.. But you can't have anything on your front windows that covers more than the top 3inches!.. Lol.
True, I should have clarified lol.

I am a smart *** when I need to be though. Like I can see myself telling an officer, ok I iwll go home and peel the top three inches. Measure me now @$$hole.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am a smart *** when I need to be though. Like I can see myself telling an officer, ok I iwll go home and peel the top three inches. Measure me now @$$hole.
Lol. I work at the MSP Complex (Michigan State Police)!.. So I can be a smart A$$ with cops and get away with it!!... Hahahahaha.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Lol. I work at the MSP Complex (Michigan State Police)!.. So I can be a smart A$$ with cops and get away with it!!... Hahahahaha.
Oh yeah?!? Well, I can be a smart *** with the cops too because I can keep bailing myself out! Lol...sigh.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Deaddpot said it...pretty sure varies by state. Can only have back ones tinted as dark as want. On my old caliber I had 5% on back and 50 I think on front, never messed w. pretty sure can pull you over for just tint or if can't will just make something else up. As long as don't drive like *** should be fine

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

I'm in illinois pretty sure was same in michigan. Also had tint on my f100 there and on rear of neon
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
If you go to the states website they have form that you can fill out and get signed by your DR. and your legal that way.
Do you know where that school at the corner of Dresden and Shallowford is? It was on the way to I 85. What really burns me about this is tha I was beyond the school! The school isn't even on Shallowford; it's on Dresden, and I was already well beyond that. There were no children, nothing. Had I flown through the middle of a school zone, I would've wanted my own head on a platter, but as it was, I was stopped at the stoplight of that intersection and was just coming out of the flashing light when I got pulled over.

Did I mention that there were like 5 or 6 cops sitting there? It is a friggin speed trap! If they really cared about safety, they'd sit a the intersection where the school is to 1) help deter speeders and 2) catch speeders who are ACTUALLY a danger.

I don't argue with the tint. I think it's a stupid threshold, but there's no question it is well below the legal limit. This is te 2nd cop to measure it at 14...even though I bought 20. Guess the factory tint drops it a bit lower?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Oh yeah?!? Well, I can be a smart *** with the cops too because I can keep bailing myself out! Lol...sigh.
Ya but they pay me to do it!.. Lol. I don't need to bail myself out!.. Lol
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
As much as I would love to stand up for myself... I'm still a little afraid of FHP down here lol
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT View Post

i cant speak for every state, county, or township. but sum of the laws are there as tools for law enforcement aka "probable cause". some are super stupid..others are real safety.

let me clarify with a scenario...

when i was younger i thought tint laws were stupid way for cops to harrass ppl. then one day (like ten years ago) we stopped a guy on a tint violation in a suburban.

couldnt even see if the guy had a seat belt on or not. plates came back and this dude has got 2 carryn concealed weapons and assault on a police officer.

so right off rip i know this guy carries guns and has no problem with fukn up a police officer in the process.

i cant see inside this truck (suburban). i have no idea if he's alone, got two toddlers in the back, or traveling with six armed gang members....i cant see anything.... im scared to death.

i unlocked the shot gun just in case. but if he has kids or innocent bystanders in the truck they will most likely get hurt cause i cant see in the vehicle if it happens to go down. i dont know who or if there is a threat to my safety and others if i cant see inside the vehicle.

so if this guy tried something and his wife or child get shot and killed.... who is everyone gonna blame? or should u not defend yourself and get killed cause u dont know if theres a kid in there or not.

so if a cop approaches u at gun point cause of tint..or acts like a jerk.. the scenario above is y. lots of cops get hurt cause of tint.

i used to have yalls same attitude bout tint, its a pretty serious safety issue for officers, any cop thats not scared of illegal tint needs to get his head examined.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i cant speak for every state, county, or township. but sum of the laws are there as tools for law enforcement aka "probable cause". some are super stupid..others are real safety.

let me clarify with a scenario...

when i was younger i thought tint laws were stupid way for cops to harrass ppl. then one day (like ten years ago) we stopped a guy on a tint violation in a suburban.

couldnt even see if the guy had a seat belt on or not. plates came back and this dude has got 2 carryn concealed weapons and assault on a police officer.

so right off rip i know this guy carries guns and has no problem with fukn up a police officer in the process.

i cant see inside this truck (suburban). i have no idea if he's alone, got two toddlers in the back, or traveling with six armed gang members....i cant see anything.... im scared to death.

i unlocked the shot gun just in case. but if he has kids or innocent bystanders in the truck they will most likely get hurt cause i cant see in the vehicle if it happens to go down. i dont know who or if there is a threat to my safety and others if i cant see inside the vehicle.

so if this guy tried something and his wife or child get shot and killed.... who is everyone gonna blame? or should u not defend yourself and get killed cause u dont know if theres a kid in there or not.

so if a cop approaches u at gun point cause of tint..or acts like a jerk.. the scenario above is y. lots of cops get hurt cause of tint.

i used to have yalls same attitude bout tint, its a pretty serious safety issue for officers, any cop thats not scared of illegal tint needs to get his head examined.

I can appreciate that story, but what's the difference between tint and a house with a closed door and curtains over windows? On top of that, I always roll down my window before the officer was there...even when I had no tint on the windows. Cops always have to be careful, right?

Additionally, I think there's a difference between 5% tint and 20% tint. You can still see in my car, just not annoyingly so.

I just don't understand why cops try to lose equity with the public by setting speedtraps. It reeks of a BS way to rob people.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

Do you know where that school at the corner of Dresden and Shallowford is? It was on the way to I 85. What really burns me about this is tha I was beyond the school! The school isn't even on Shallowford; it's on Dresden, and I was already well beyond that. There were no children, nothing. Had I flown through the middle of a school zone, I would've wanted my own head on a platter, but as it was, I was stopped at the stoplight of that intersection and was just coming out of the flashing light when I got pulled over.

Did I mention that there were like 5 or 6 cops sitting there? It is a friggin speed trap! If they really cared about safety, they'd sit a the intersection where the school is to 1) help deter speeders and 2) catch speeders who are ACTUALLY a danger.

I don't argue with the tint. I think it's a stupid threshold, but there's no question it is well below the legal limit. This is te 2nd cop to measure it at 14...even though I bought 20. Guess the factory tint drops it a bit lower?
Not exactly. I rarely have to go beyond PID thankfully. Is that chamblee police? Or Dekalb co P. D.?

In Georgia, you have to get to the END School Zone sign. Usually about 10 to 20 yards from the entrance. And if the lights are on its a school zone( even if there is no school.) Any way, George Stein always says if you talk with the solicitor they can usually help you out. And consider the Doctors note.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
The doctors note might not work...

I was in court about a month ago and the guy before me got pulled over for tint. He took it to court rather then get it removed because he had a doctors note. The judge asked the man "if you need your Windows that dark to drive, is it really safe for you to drive?" The guy who was relatively young looked terrified, and didn't kno what to say. The judge ended up taking his licenses because he was "unfit" to drive...

I think a lot judges know people are beginning to abuse the doctors not so they are being much more harsh. Maybe even see it as an insult.
tdurham19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Wow. Here you have to get it approved through the state. I have a lens implant, had a detached retina and a couple other things. My eye dr was like yeah it probably won't hurt you.

And you can't go below 20%. Still but it gives some leeway.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
in my state im pretty sure if u tell a cop that he cant search your car they wont but u will lose your license.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Wow. Here you have to get it approved through the state. I have a lens implant, had a detached retina and a couple other things. My eye dr was like yeah it probably won't hurt you.

And you can't go below 20%. Still but it gives some leeway.
Yea the doctor note is defiantly helpful for many people, after all if your driving and u need tint because your sensitive to light, it could prevent many accidents.

But when a judge sees a young adult, who has 5% tint on their car, with only one visit to the doctor to get the note...he is gonna see it as abusing the law.

Also I'm pretty sure every state in US you can decline a search of ur vehicle...I'm 95% on that. However if the cop has probable cause, via he sees something (gun, drugs, ect) or the cop could make u wait, call k9 and when the dog gets something he has probable cause to search.
tdurham19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not exactly. I rarely have to go beyond PID thankfully. Is that chamblee police? Or Dekalb co P. D.?

In Georgia, you have to get to the END School Zone sign. Usually about 10 to 20 yards from the entrance. And if the lights are on its a school zone( even if there is no school.) Any way, George Stein always says if you talk with the solicitor they can usually help you out. And consider the Doctors note.
It's pretty rich. I looked at it on Google Maps again today. Where I got pulled over is about 500 feet from the intersection where you have to turn to get to the school! I intend to drive it at some point this weekend to see if there's a sign saying "end school zone" and where that sign is.

Not sure how the doctor's note would work for the tint, but I don't intend to remove it. I guess if they pull me over again, I will get in big(ger) trouble?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

It's pretty rich. I looked at it on Google Maps again today. Where I got pulled over is about 500 feet from the intersection where you have to turn to get to the school! I intend to drive it at some point this weekend to see if there's a sign saying "end school zone" and where that sign is.

Not sure how the doctor's note would work for the tint, but I don't intend to remove it. I guess if they pull me over again, I will get in big(ger) trouble?
I would drive it again to make sure. If you don't see it bring it to court. Sometimes the judges are lenient.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdurham19

Yea the doctor note is defiantly helpful for many people, after all if your driving and u need tint because your sensitive to light, it could prevent many accidents.

But when a judge sees a young adult, who has 5% tint on their car, with only one visit to the doctor to get the note...he is gonna see it as abusing the law.

Also I'm pretty sure every state in US you can decline a search of ur vehicle...I'm 95% on that. However if the cop has probable cause, via he sees something (gun, drugs, ect) or the cop could make u wait, call k9 and when the dog gets something he has probable cause to search.
I agree 5% is dangerous for everyone!

Yes it's considered the plain view doctrine. The 4 th amendment protects against unreasonable search and seizures. Saying no could also get them more probable cause. I had a C. Justice teacher that once said, "I would just ask most everyone if they said yes, I'd search, and if no he said mostly let em go. Sometimes he'd get a warrant. "
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I would drive it again to make sure. If you don't see it bring it to court. Sometimes the judges are lenient.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

I agree 5% is dangerous for everyone!

Yes it's considered the plain view doctrine. The 4 th amendment protects against unreasonable search and seizures. Saying no could also get them more probable cause. I had a C. Justice teacher that once said, "I would just ask most everyone if they said yes, I'd search, and if no he said mostly let em go. Sometimes he'd get a warrant. "

yea, most states u can always say no. but depending on the situation, u turn a 15 minute traffic stop into a two hour event...if the officer(s) strongly believes your hold'n. which means sitting and waitn on k9 to see if the the dog indicates presence of narcotics. and if the k9 does, your car is getn searched anyway. or u can say no, and they say ok, have a nice day. itsa catch 22 sometimes. kinda like..u have the right to refuse a sobriety/breathalizer test. but, if you say no, you get an automatic 6-12month license suspension depending on the state or county. laws are kinda crazy sometimes.

it works a lil different everywhere, and every cop deals with stuff differently.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

yea, most states u can always say no. but depending on the situation, u turn a 15 minute traffic stop into a two hour event...if the officer(s) strongly believes your hold'n. which means sitting and waitn on k9 to see if the the dog indicates presence of narcotics. and if the k9 does, your car is getn searched anyway. or u can say no, and they say ok, have a nice day. itsa catch 22 sometimes. kinda like..u have the right to refuse a sobriety/breathalizer test. but, if you say no, you get an automatic 6-12month license suspension depending on the state or county. laws are kinda crazy sometimes.

it works a lil different everywhere, and every cop deals with stuff differently.
I had a cop pull me over for tint right before Christmas. He told me I had a cool car and let me go. This dude yesterday had no mercy.

Couldn't care less about the cops searching my car if it let me out of a ticket!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
I had a cop pull me over for tint right before Christmas. He told me I had a cool car and let me go. This dude yesterday had no mercy.

Couldn't care less about the cops searching my car if it let me out of a ticket!
there was a guy round here that used to carry a scraper in his car. u peel it there on side of road or u get cited. i never worked with or met the guy... but i heard stories. not sure i woulda went that route, but like i said..everyone is different.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #31
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

there was a guy round here that used to carry a scraper in his car. u peel it there on side of road or u get cited. i never worked with or met the guy... but i heard stories. not sure i woulda went that route, but like i said..everyone is different.
I'd carry one and wait to see how much of an *** someone was to me. You know those people no matter how nice you are they are just rude. At least I had those experiences in retail.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I'd carry one and wait to see how much of an *** someone was to me. You know those people no matter how nice you are they are just rude. At least I had those experiences in retail.
i thought the shyte was funny when i was younger... but i dont condone that kinda law enforcement an overall lack of professionalism. ppl hate cops as is, without sum idiot adding fuel to the fire by demeaning (may be looked at as defacing property) ppl and bn disrespective to tax payers.

as a matter of fact, its officers like that which is why most cruisers have cameras in them now days. i cant ask u to respect me if i dont respect u

Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Maybe, we shouldn't care about legal or illegal car searches. Just dont carry anything in your car that can get you in trouble. I know we all have rights but most officers are just like us, except their 9 to 5 is keeping us safe. I have nothing but respect for officers and if they see that they will respect you too. Pulled over 4 times in my life, only 1 ticket. I was doing 81 in a 45. He could have arrested me and taken my car. I was polite and respectful and I got a 71 in 55. So went from jail to lowest bracket of speeding ticket.
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #34
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta vt View Post
Maybe, we shouldn't care about legal or illegal car searches. Just dont carry anything in your car that can get you in trouble. I know we all have rights but most officers are just like us, except their 9 to 5 is keeping us safe. I have nothing but respect for officers and if they see that they will respect you too. Pulled over 4 times in my life, only 1 ticket. I was doing 81 in a 45. He could have arrested me and taken my car. I was polite and respectful and I got a 71 in 55. So went from jail to lowest bracket of speeding ticket.
your lucky..lol. i had accumulated like 3 speeding violations.... i didnt pay them cause i knew everybody (not a good excuse). the judge put me in jail for a week cause he said i was supposed to be setting an example. needless to say, i havent gotten speeding ticket in ten years.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta vt
Not really true. Just depends on the cop and myriad other factors. I was raised to be respectful and am on my Ps and Qs when I get pulled over. I've only gotten out of 1 ticket.

Oh and I've NEVER been at fault in an accident. So much for safety.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang